Bird Club

Bird Club

June 15th, 2012, 5:07 am #1

Do you belong to a bird club? If so, what are some of the things your club does?

I've known about this (local) bird club for a few months now. Now that I'm done teaching dance for this season, I went to my first bird club meeting tonight. My vet belongs to this club and he and others are an incredible source of information.(My vet even talked about dissecting dead birds to find out what is wrong with them...so awesome) They hardly know anything about hummingbirds but they do know about MANY other birds. One lady talked about buying a black and blue salvia last year because her husband thought it look interesting. They were surprised to see so many hummers on it. They said they will now get that one every year. Other's asked, "What's it called? Oh, I've never heard of that one." cute.

Next time I'll bring some paper and a pen along. I don't remember half the birds they talked about and I so wished I did. I'd love to look them up.

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43
Last edited by curlsihave on June 15th, 2012, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 15th, 2012, 10:34 am #2

Linsey
It is amazing to know that so many bird groups do focus on other birds and no little to nothing at all about hummers. There are a couple of nature centers here that also do rehab for birds and a couple of years ago I called one to ask if they also rehabbed hummers and was told no they don't have anyone who knows anything about them.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 15th, 2012, 12:14 pm #3

Do you belong to a bird club? If so, what are some of the things your club does?

I've known about this (local) bird club for a few months now. Now that I'm done teaching dance for this season, I went to my first bird club meeting tonight. My vet belongs to this club and he and others are an incredible source of information.(My vet even talked about dissecting dead birds to find out what is wrong with them...so awesome) They hardly know anything about hummingbirds but they do know about MANY other birds. One lady talked about buying a black and blue salvia last year because her husband thought it look interesting. They were surprised to see so many hummers on it. They said they will now get that one every year. Other's asked, "What's it called? Oh, I've never heard of that one." cute.

Next time I'll bring some paper and a pen along. I don't remember half the birds they talked about and I so wished I did. I'd love to look them up.

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43
Linsey,

Sounds to me like YOU could participate by suggesting some hummingbird friendly plants for the group to try! Before you know it you'll be a valueabl e part of the group and learn and share.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

June 15th, 2012, 10:41 pm #4

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43
What you'll find in bird clubs, although they do vary quite a bit, is local knowedge of the whats, wheres and whens of the birds. The hummingbird is just one of over 400 species for your state and is treated from a birding point of view as just another bird - if any bird is just another bird. Others are right to think there will be those interested in learning better plants to grow in their gardens. Again, if the club is a good one it will have a deep store of knowledge to be tapped, usually by way of a few good leaders and regular fieldtrips.

June 16th, 2012, 4:51 am #5

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43
Yes, Ward, I think your assessment of the bird clubs is also correct for this one too. Granted this was just the first meeting I went to but I have gone to other "bird" functions. The popular birds to attract seem to be bluebirds, martins, and chimny swifts. They did give updates on those birds last night along with snow geese and turkeys. There was a distain for house sparrows, starlings, squirrels, and raccoons of course. There are also some game bird clubs in the area too. The members seem to cross between clubs. I think I will enjoy it. It's always nice to meet people that share the same interests as me.

Penny and Pam: it does seem as though some of the members specialize in certain birds. I figured I'd have a place in the club. I just didn't figure it would be so evident at my first meeting.

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43

June 16th, 2012, 10:49 am #6

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43
Linsey
You will do wel and probably even foster more interest in the members for hummers as Pam said by adding your knowledge of the plants that are used etc.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 16th, 2012, 3:21 pm #7

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43
Linsey, Ward is a member of the second or third oldest bird club in the USA. They only recenly allowed women to join.

I finally joined a bird club in the fall of 2009. I wasn't sure at first if I would be allowed to join since it's not in my county. But I was allowed and I love it! The people are great! I finally went to a meeting at Ward's club last year because it was on my birthday and it was about the Pantanal a place I had been to in the 1970's. While I thoroughly enjoyed the presentation I don't think I will become a member. You have to pass alot of tests to become a member.

sarah merion station, Pennsylvania zone 6B

June 16th, 2012, 4:19 pm #8

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43
Now Sarah. There are no tests to pass although you used to get in by election with at least two members nominating you for membership. You are right about the club not letting in woman for most of its history but that changed decades ago. A year or two before I joined. Some of the more hindbound DVOCers resigned their memberships. Going to the academy on Thursday evenings after commuting back and forth from Medford to Bucks Co has become too much for a single day. The only meetings I attend are the informal summer meetings when they take place at the park in Palmyra. One last thing - good clubs have birders of all stages from beginner to the most expert. It takes at least 4 or 5 years to make a good birder and that is just the beginning of the learning curve. No one has ever gotten to the other end of that curve or ever will.

June 16th, 2012, 7:33 pm #9

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43
I like segregation...at least when it comes to restrooms.

This is a VERY informal group. There are no dues and anyone can show up. Sometimes they have a speaker but mostly it's socializing with the topic of birds. They do have certain activities and sighting competitions that only happen at specific times of the year. From what I was told, there are all levels of experience.

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43

June 16th, 2012, 9:38 pm #10

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43
I belonged to a bird club in the midwest for many years. Actually it was a nature club because it had sections for devotees of plants and insects as well. The main activity was weekly field trips but there were monthly meetings at a local library. Here I have birder friends but no club as such. Local bird information is mostly (and very efectively) shared on:

http://ebird.org/content/colombia

Peter
Valle De Cauca
Colombia

https://sites.google.com/site/colombian ... ure-images

Confirmation of reply: