Bird Baths--Question

Bird Baths--Question

September 7th, 2010, 7:24 pm #1

I want to give a friend something for her garden for her upcoming birthday. I was thinking of a bird bath. I don't want to spend over $35. I found a beautiful glass bird bath, but the reviews said it split in half. Obviously that one is out.

The copper bird baths are really pretty, but I've always felt like they might get too hot for the birds' feet. Is this true or am I being ridiculous? I want this to be decorative but also functional. I have two bird baths that I love(front & back yard) but not sure either would really be appropriate for a gift.

Anyway, I'm curious what the rest of you think about the copper bird baths getting too hot.

Thanks for your input,
Carol

Carol R
Tennessee
USDA Hardiness Zone 7
Heat Zone 7

September 7th, 2010, 8:53 pm #2

This is strictly opinion - not based on anything I've read, but instead on trying out various kinds of bird baths and building several different ones over the years. So take it with the appropriate salt dose.

If the bath is set in full sun, I would think metal might be a bad choice, for the heat reason you suggest. It's not just possible damage to the birds' feet (which I think is unlikely, but I can't rule it out), but because it's more likely to evaporate quickly, needing more attention. And depending on the angle of the sun, there could be significant glare coming off the bath at certain times of the day, making it harder to see birds on the bath (or even to look in that general direction).

If the site where it'll be is sheltered, however, I think that's less of a concern.

I don't know how hot blacktop asphalt gets, but I'm sure it's pretty hot in full sun (especially down here), yet I see birds land on the road all the time. I would think that many, if not most, bird feet would be pretty rugged.

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

September 8th, 2010, 11:19 am #3

I want to give a friend something for her garden for her upcoming birthday. I was thinking of a bird bath. I don't want to spend over $35. I found a beautiful glass bird bath, but the reviews said it split in half. Obviously that one is out.

The copper bird baths are really pretty, but I've always felt like they might get too hot for the birds' feet. Is this true or am I being ridiculous? I want this to be decorative but also functional. I have two bird baths that I love(front & back yard) but not sure either would really be appropriate for a gift.

Anyway, I'm curious what the rest of you think about the copper bird baths getting too hot.

Thanks for your input,
Carol

Carol R
Tennessee
USDA Hardiness Zone 7
Heat Zone 7

Here is another personal opinion only. I shy away from glass, glazed ceramic and metal based birdbaths. The glass and or glazed ceramic tend to be slick and from what I have observed on a limited basis the birds are not comfortable with them. An option if you choose one of those is to fill the base with stones so the birds have better footing. They also tend to use very shallow birdbaths more than they will a deeper bird baths. I have several different types...the cheapo $10 plastic one that you add sand, water or grave to the base to give it some weight, a tomato cage that I fit a large plant saucer in, a composite birdbath that looks like cement but much lighter and a little smaller and my fountain that I created out of a large composite urn and saucer that fits in the top. The two that are used every day are the small composite birdbath and the one made from a tomato cage and plant saucer. Both are shallow and are not really smooth. The plastic one is slick and is not used much and the fountain is more for my enjoyment but the birds will use it occasionally if I haven't added water to the others. The composite bird baths can be inexpensive. I got mine about 4 or 5 yrs. ago from Big Lots for $14.00

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

September 8th, 2010, 5:03 pm #4

Thanks for your input,
Carol

Carol R
Tennessee
USDA Hardiness Zone 7
Heat Zone 7

Kevin, what you say makes a lot of sense! Thanks for your input. I think it would go under a shaded tree, but she might have different ideas. I like your analogy of the asphalt.

Penny, I found a nice looking composite birdbath online but haven't seen it in person. I hated to order something as a gift if I wasn't sure it wouldn't look nice in person. (I hate the hassle of returns.)

I have two bird baths. One is heated and I really love it. The birds do use it all winter. It's one of those deck mounted bird baths and is too expensive to give as a gift. The other one that I have is a hanging bird bath that I bought from PetSmart years ago for around $15. They still sell it, and I thought about giving her one like it.

I've ruled out a glass one, even though they are pretty, since the reviews said they break. Since it's a gift it does need to be attractive. I may end up giving her some type of yard decoration instead. Her birthday is next month. She's always hard to buy for.

Wow, you are having nice fall weather! 62 degrees at 1:00 pm!

Carol R
Tennessee
USDA Hardiness Zone 7
Heat Zone 7

September 8th, 2010, 5:21 pm #5

Thanks for your input,
Carol

Carol R
Tennessee
USDA Hardiness Zone 7
Heat Zone 7

Carol said:
"Wow, you are having nice fall weather! 62 degrees at 1:00 pm! "

It is way too early to be having temps this chilly! It is also very overcast and looks like it will pour down rain most any time now. Last week we were in the high 80's. Too much of a shock to the central nervous system when it cools down this fast.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

September 10th, 2010, 12:50 pm #6

Thanks for your input,
Carol

Carol R
Tennessee
USDA Hardiness Zone 7
Heat Zone 7

I too have a heated bird bath and love it - the birds use it all year long. I just unplug it during the spring into the colder fall days. I also have a ceramic planter that I use - I just invert it and place the stand on top - its a shallow bird bath that the birds love. I also have a waterfall fountain birdbath that I got at Lowes and the birds do love that one as well.

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6

September 10th, 2010, 3:59 pm #7

Thanks for your input,
Carol

Carol R
Tennessee
USDA Hardiness Zone 7
Heat Zone 7

Carol, I just reread what I wrote about the heated bird bath. I didn't mean to imply that they didn't use it all year. They do. I just unplug it when it no longer freezes at night, too. It's a great bird bath!

Carol

Carol R
Tennessee
USDA Hardiness Zone 7
Heat Zone 7

Anna Banana
Anna Banana

May 16th, 2018, 3:54 pm #8

I bought a beautiful glass bird bath.  Guess what?  No birds use it!  Live and learn.

May 18th, 2018, 3:16 am #9

Anna- I sort relate to some people who buy bird feeders because they happen to love how they look, pretty or cute.  Birds may or may not use them , but how easy are they to clean might end up being the biggest question.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 22nd, 2018, 8:40 pm #10

Carol, I have six concrete bird baths of various sizes that are up all year long.  I've been lucky with them not cracking being out in freezing temperatures.  They are easy to clean with almost any type of brush and water.   I picked up one at the curb that someone was throwing away because they were moving.   They are heavy and not easy to move around so once in place they stay there.    The birds here really like them.  I also have a glass bird bath and several clay bird baths.   They like the clay bird baths too.   It takes an hour or so every couple days to clean the dozen or so bird baths here.   Not practical to give as a gift because they have gone up in price, but thought I'd mention this type.     

Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania USA
Zone 6b 

Confirmation of reply: