best year ever

best year ever

September 19th, 2011, 2:30 am #1

I always get alot of Hummingbirds this time of year, but this has been my best year ever

noemi
south texas

September 19th, 2011, 9:57 am #2

Noemi....WOW! How wonderful for you...amazing pictures!

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6

September 19th, 2011, 10:58 am #3

I always get alot of Hummingbirds this time of year, but this has been my best year ever

noemi
south texas
Noemi,
This has been my best year also! I live in suburb northeast of Houston, Texas. I have had a few hummers all year long and a few weeks ago....my population went to over 100. I suspect that the Texas drought and the fact that we are feeding them has helped out alot!

Ken Risenhoover
Kingwood, Texas
USDA Hardiness Zone 9a

September 19th, 2011, 6:22 pm #4

noemi
south texas
Ain't it great! So far my best year also-I think. Not smart enough to use flicker yet, but will post some pics soon.

NLN

September 20th, 2011, 1:34 am #5

noemi
south texas
Noemi,

Based on a rather non-scientific assessment, I believe this southward migration so far is one of the strongest in recent memory. They come through here in waves.

Here at my place, we do not see enormous numbers, but it was very busy here all day. This may be the best year ever for you, but I believe there are a lot more to come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
http://www.casacolibri.net/

September 20th, 2011, 1:45 am #6

noemi
south texas
noemi

Wow, very nice . I have to also say it is my best year ever. Did you know I just sent those hummers down to you.

I still have a few hummers here but not the big numbers I had a week ago.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

September 20th, 2011, 5:26 am #7

noemi
south texas
Noemi, Kenneth and Nancy...how wonderful indeed for you folks. Enjoy them for me.

Paul...will eagerly look forward to seeing your photos.

Elle
Eastern Michigan
Zone 5

September 20th, 2011, 1:07 pm #8

noemi
south texas
Well this was my worst year EVER so I am hoping that some of those from the hoards of hummers everyone seems to be experiencing right now will find their way back to western NY and to my garden next spring

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

September 20th, 2011, 2:00 pm #9

noemi
south texas
I feel bad writing this after Penny's response but I also had my best year ever. I had a lot of hummers around all summer. I didn't even get the typical drop in numbers that I've gotten other years in late May and June. I've lived at my house for 6 years now and the population of birds around here is increasing, possibly because of my gardens. The trees and shrubs I planted are also getting more mature which probably makes the habitat more suitable for them.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 5b/6a

September 20th, 2011, 2:08 pm #10

noemi
south texas
We're just across the border from these Texas people and have had our best year ever also.

Nancy
SW Louisiana

Confirmation of reply: