Backsliding?

Backsliding?

December 21st, 2006, 3:28 am #1

10 years ago I began to receive Medicare. I also took up golf. That began with a community college golf course. The school had a library and some golf books. One of them was "The Golf Swing of the Future", by Mindy Blake. I read the book and enjoyed it but found the swing unnatural and certainly different than what was taught in the golf class. Five years later I found "Golf: The Technique Barrier". About a year ago I gave up on the swing taught in the golf class. I believe that swing is for young people. I began using the Reflex swing from the latter book. It is a great improvement over what I was taught in the golf class, particularly for an older person.

Recently I felt I was having trouble with my leading some position. Eventually I got around to a four finger grip with the leading hand. Remembering the swing in the first book I closed my stance and swung. Everything worked fine and felt natural. In particular, my thumb seemed to be in the right place.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience. Yes, I know, this is backsliding. But for me it seems to work.

December 21st, 2006, 9:15 pm #2

"Recently I felt I was having trouble with my leading some position."

Don't understand this sentence.

"Eventually I got around to a four finger grip with the leading hand."

What is a four finger grip?

"Remembering the swing in the first book I closed my stance and swung. Everything worked fine and felt
natural. In particular, my thumb seemed to be in the right place."

A few of us play from a square stance. Where is your thumb?

Terry
Terry

December 21st, 2006, 9:45 pm #3

Sorry. I dictated my imput and didn't check enough. I was talking about my thumb placement on the club. In GSOTF Mindy talks about a "strong three or four knuckle grip" with the thumb in approximately 3 o'clock position. In G:TTB he 'weakens' the grip slightly and opens the stance. The latter is the newer stance. I used the newer one for a year, and have now found myself prefering the older swing.

December 22nd, 2006, 12:51 am #4

I don't think anyone would criticize using
GSOTF although some have said the open stance
is easier on the back. I play off a square
stance myself unless a shot just sets up to my
eye for an open stance. But then, I haven't
read GTTB except for excerpts.

December 25th, 2006, 6:00 am #5

Sorry. I dictated my imput and didn't check enough. I was talking about my thumb placement on the club. In GSOTF Mindy talks about a "strong three or four knuckle grip" with the thumb in approximately 3 o'clock position. In G:TTB he 'weakens' the grip slightly and opens the stance. The latter is the newer stance. I used the newer one for a year, and have now found myself prefering the older swing.

I can do the Blake swing from a square or open stance. I actually have a tendency to "regress" to a square stance, but I believe an open stance is best. Rationale: With an open stance, in the backswing the hips turn to about square, so in the downswing they are not "in the way" of the arms. You don't have to "clear" the hips to allow the arms to come through. Additionally, I think you achieve a better feeling of "getting the upper body behind the trail hip" if you start from an open stance. I also think a four knuckle grip (thumb at 3 o'clock) is a bit too strong. I seem to attain a better lead wrist position at the top with a two to three knuckle grip. Jim

Confirmation of reply: