At a Gardenmeister Fuschia

At a Gardenmeister Fuschia

August 30th, 2017, 12:19 am #1

[/IMG]
The little one really likes it....

August 30th, 2017, 1:38 am #2

Ilena, Very nice photo. I've grow Gartenmeister in the past, and it did get some use. A great looking plant this time of year. With two plants of equal size side by side, Cuphea x David Verity was much preferred by our hummingbirds.

August 30th, 2017, 1:39 am #3

[/IMG]
I was happy I actually cut my old
plant back big time and it made it and it is doing
great but little use to much other stuff
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

August 30th, 2017, 2:24 am #4

[/IMG]
Wow, what a prolific bloomer! Great shot! I'm envious.

Fran
Lakeview, OR
Zone 4/5
Fran
Lakeview OR
Zone 4/5

August 30th, 2017, 3:54 pm #5

[/IMG]
If you haven't tried Fuchsia magellanica you might want to consider it. Years ago it was the talk of the forum by folks from the Pacific Northwest.
Southern New Jersey

August 31st, 2017, 12:21 am #6

[/IMG]
Hi Ward...
Haven't heard of that one....I move this plant inside every year and it just keeps on being spectacular...

September 2nd, 2017, 6:17 pm #7

[/IMG]
Another plant I never saw a Hummer use that was touted as great. I sometimes still buy it since I can get it & 'Firecracker' cheap but have no shade now whatsoever so I passed the past couple of years. Had magellanica before & still no use.

Patrick, a forum member (I miss him & wonder if he is ok?), was big on Fuschias. He had mentioned 'Golden Marinka' before & I was very surprised to have found it locally one year. Still no use but it was pretty.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b

September 8th, 2017, 2:11 pm #8

[/IMG]
I've grown both Gartenmeister fuchsias and Fuchsia magellanica, as well as a newer heat tolerant fuchsia called "Angels Earrings" (from Plant Delights - bottom photo), and none seem to get visited by hummers that much. Mine seem to go to other flowers I grow, like Salvia "Amistad" and Cuphia "David Verity", in preference to all the fuchsias.

Fuchsia magellanica is hardy here in Zone 7a (Delaware) but it dies right to the ground in winter and can return a little slowly in spring. The location can be a little tricky as they do poorly in hot sunny spots but also don't flower well in heavy shade. A bright spot where most direct sun is blocked seems to work out here. Getting the soil right can be tricky too - too wet and they don't over-winter successfully.

Below is "Angels Earring" (I got from Plant Delights). If you like traditional hanging fuchsias, this one is amazingly heat tolerant. I've had several potted specimens surviving for years. They probably don't like to be roasted in FULL sun but they do fine in half-day sun and will bloom all summer, if kept moist. I over-winter mine in my greenhouse shed, with a minimum temp around 32'F, but they are supposedly Zone 7a hardy, if left in the ground.

But neither of the above fuchsias, or Gartenmeister, has ever generated much interest from hummers in my garden. I guess there may be regional preferences or maybe it depends on what else is available?
Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

September 8th, 2017, 4:22 pm #9

[/IMG]
Ron

Wow! Angels Earring- great looking hanging plant. Im also growing a fuchsia not sure what kind but it has done well although small, but with plenty of flowers of which the hummers have used often. As a rule Im not a very good hanging plant person as there is little shade here, so mine goes under a covered porch, gets morning sun.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

September 8th, 2017, 4:57 pm #10

[/IMG]
Hello Everyone!

I have grown Gartenmeister Fuschia in my hummer gardens in every place I have lived. It did well and got decent use by Ruby-throated Hums in Virginia, good use by Black-chinned Hums in Texas, and good use by Anna's and Rufous Hums here. The Rufous seem to like it in particular.

I grew many hum plants in Virginia, so it had a lot of competition, but hums still used it on occasion. My hum garden in Texas was limited because of heat, drought, and rock. So I was glad for the GF because, as long as I kept it watered, it hung in there when many other plants gave up the ghost. And I really appreciate it here in Eugene because it does well in my backyard hum garden where I only get about 3 hours of direct sun. It is the only hum plant I have found that blooms well in that spot.

Also wanted to send prayers and good wishes to everyone who got hit by Harvey, and to those in Irma's path. Please take care.

Lori
Eugene, OR
zone 8b

September 8th, 2017, 7:26 pm #11

[/IMG]
'Gartenmeister Bonstedt' is certainly an adaptable fuchsia, thriving in sun to shade. I believe the original species (Fuchsia triphylla) originates from the Caribbean - which, if so, explains the heat and sun tolerance. I plant some every year. But for me, they haven't been a favorite of the hummingbirds.

Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

September 8th, 2017, 8:48 pm #12

[/IMG]
I used to grow this in a pot on the patio. I liked the way it looked, but hummers ignored it.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a