Aphids !

April 30th, 2017, 1:10 am #21

You guessed it. My goldflame has a lot beautiful new foliage but I notice one set of leaves that was turned in and after opening the leaves up sure enough aphids were there. I wasted no time in getting out my spray bottle and blasted away. I will now keep a very close watch on that honeysuckle as the leaves are all close together. The coral honeysuckle leaves are far apart at this time.
Never tried any of those mulches, currently using straw as a mulch wondering if that would help. I do know I have lot of flowers going on my goldflame with no visible aphids bothering the vine. My major wheeler might be a different story.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 1st, 2017, 1:32 pm #22

You guessed it. My goldflame has a lot beautiful new foliage but I notice one set of leaves that was turned in and after opening the leaves up sure enough aphids were there. I wasted no time in getting out my spray bottle and blasted away. I will now keep a very close watch on that honeysuckle as the leaves are all close together. The coral honeysuckle leaves are far apart at this time.
I am a serious skeptic with claims like this. And I would almost rather have aphids than ugly colored plastic mulch in the garden. The claim about red mulch has been around for many years. Maybe it is true but tomatoes are productive enough as it is.

May 1st, 2017, 2:54 pm #23

I always like to use the many pine needles in our yard as a natural mulch. After years of trying to get rid of another homeowner's horrible wood mulch and plastic sheeting, I always try and use a less aggressive mulch like pine needles, or in some cases, rock, which at least can be moved easily. I would not like the look of this plastic mulch that's being described. But then, we don't get aphids on honeysuckle---you do what you must to control them without endangering the birds.

May 1st, 2017, 7:34 pm #24

I don't use unnatural mulches either but sounds like it could be a temporary solution early on before it's warm enough to sit out an enjoy. Was just an observation. I wouldn't pay a lot of money & certainly not on any shipping. If I saw it out somewhere & was cheap enough, I would maybe try it for a bit since it is ugly. Never noticed the red mulch doing anything when used it years ago. Like Ward said, my tomatoes grow just fine without it. Same with landscape fabric for the most part. Stops some small weeds but the tough ones you want to smother grow right through it.

I have a lot of pine needles but I also have a lot of property & not enough to go around so they stay in the beds they are in. Also keeps the more acidic beds acidic without changing my more neutral beds.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
Last edited by Yodlei44 on May 1st, 2017, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, 2017, 8:20 pm #25

Ron, Ken and I encountered buried fabric row cover when we were working at the park on Friday. It had been there for years and was buried anywhere from an inch to almost six inches below accumulated mulch turned to soil. We ripped and pulled out as much as we could.

Fabric row cover has value but only if it is use properly. Two things are important. The fabric must have a covering of mulch otherwise light will germinate the seeds in the soil and plants will push up the fabric. The fabric also needs to be flipped once a year so rotting mulch doesn't turn to a seedbed on top of the fabric. I use it in the veggie nectar garden and have for years. It has meant no longer having to spend hot sunny weekend day crawling around the interior of the garden pulling weeds. The summer work is mostly confined to the edges now. In a garden nearly 100 feet long and 20 feet wide it takes some time to set up in the spring. The hours of saved labor in summer seems like time well spent.

The photo here is from last year and yes row cover was used.
[urlfree]https://postimg.org/image/q06y9pufl/]free upload[/url][urlcertificity.com]https://certificity.com]certificity.com[/url][/url]
Last edited by WardDas on May 1st, 2017, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, 2017, 9:22 pm #26

Ward,
Something happened. Your pix didn't show up this time.

Mulch is always on top but never flipped. I have to lightly rake/fluff mulch multiple times a year to keep weeds from growing in the mulch, especially near the bird feeders. That is possibly my mistake. I think you mentioned flipping in another thread not too long ago. I have fabric down in walks & areas that have no to minimal plants but always seemed like a big pain to try & get it around plants. I get a lot of planting done at once but add in places all throughout the summer so not sure how that would work for me. If I can get rid of the Canada Thistle, Sow Thistle & Nightshade, weeding wouldn't be such a chore. I actually kinda enjoy it.

As for the Aphids, I have more of a problem on Milkweed (especially Whorled & Tropical) than I do on the Honeysuckles. The one that had it the worse, has now been cut almost back to the ground so I'm good for now.

Joni
Elwood,IL
Zone 5

May 2nd, 2017, 3:45 am #27

I dont and wont put down fabric but I will put down cardboard and then mulch on top of that. It has worked pretty well in my main flower garden , so far not seeing any weeds just the plants sprouting.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 2nd, 2017, 11:44 pm #28

Forgot to mention cardboard. Used it last & this year & it is helping in some areas. Our local cable company advertises free boxes from time to time. Might have to go pick up some more since I have curtailed my internet shopping quite a bit.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

May 3rd, 2017, 2:50 am #29

Today was the first halfway decent weather in a week, so I checked my honeysuckle again. I found a few infested growth tips, but the vast majority are clean. The cold week stopped the buds from maturing, though, so it will still be a race between the blooms and aphids. I expect both will once again advance as we warm up.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

May 3rd, 2017, 2:49 pm #30

Same here-most of my blooms appear clear especially on my goldflame and the cold has slowed things down. Plus there are a few morning ahead this week yet that are showing possible frost conditions here. Need to get beyond mothers day to be clear of all this.

Many areas of central indy will get pounded again with rain thur/friday with predicted amounts as much as 4" in places.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

Confirmation of reply: