Addicted

Addicted

April 11th, 2017, 2:09 pm #1

I don’t need any more hummingbird plants.

At most I will have three or four hummingbirds visiting my property—and that’s in late July and August when the last of the fledglings are still with their mothers. Right now, I have two, a male and a female. Maybe there’s two females; it’s difficult to know since none of them are visiting the feeders.

I have hundreds, maybe over a thousand different blooms on many different type of plants. I have way more flowers than the hummers could ever use.

And still I buy more.

Yesterday I was at Home Depot purchasing some sprinklers to expand one of my “systems” that water a number of plants. I came across a standard Ugly Shrimp plant (Justicia brandegeeana) that was in full bloom. It was $22.

I bought it about three minutes later.

This wasn’t the first hummer plant I’ve purchased this spring.

I keep telling myself that I don’t need any more.

Still, I keep buying more.

I’m an addict.

How many steps are there in the program?
Central Florida 9B

April 11th, 2017, 2:28 pm #2

Too funny Tom, I know the feeling well. I started off with lots of exotics that were supposed to do well here but did poorly or never bloomed at all. Now I'm back to the basics but it sure is hard to resist impulse purchases, especially plants that draw them in
Tom M
St. Pete, FL

April 11th, 2017, 5:33 pm #3

At most I will have three or four hummingbirds visiting my property—and that’s in late July and August when the last of the fledglings are still with their mothers. Right now, I have two, a male and a female. Maybe there’s two females; it’s difficult to know since none of them are visiting the feeders.

I have hundreds, maybe over a thousand different blooms on many different type of plants. I have way more flowers than the hummers could ever use.

And still I buy more.

Yesterday I was at Home Depot purchasing some sprinklers to expand one of my “systems” that water a number of plants. I came across a standard Ugly Shrimp plant (Justicia brandegeeana) that was in full bloom. It was $22.

I’m an addict.

Tom,
You are not alone. Last week I visited the Colonial Creek Farm site to buy one Agastache. Then, using the "well, as long as I'm paying shipping anyway" logic, I ordered three Salvias I don't need or have space for. In the camera hobby this kind of behavior with lenses is called "LBA", lens buying addiction. I guess our version is "PBA". Brett (KY)

April 11th, 2017, 6:21 pm #4

And still I buy more.

I’m an addict.

That is me as well, Tom. My wife who just isn't into hummingbirds and the plants they like will look at me, smile and say, "another plant"? I look for good plants everywhere I can.

April 11th, 2017, 7:43 pm #5

And still I buy more.

I’m an addict.

Lots of steps for the addict Tom, but the best "first step" is to avoid stepping into their Garden Centers as you enter the store.
I think it's my age but I have found on a couple of occasions that after spending time in the garden center and making a few selections that when I got home I had forgotten to bring home what I went to Home Depot for!
Now I "step" into the main entrance first and have a list with me and if I happen to drift over to the garden section, so be it.

Curing the addiction is real tough and not for "sissies".

Good luck.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

April 12th, 2017, 2:35 am #6

And still I buy more.

I’m an addict.

I guess its a good think Im not near a really great nursery that has all those great hummer plant varieties. But just last weekend I did stop at my one favorite nursery, picked up a couple of mesa scarlet , 2 bb guaraniticas and a hot lips, plus a lobelia cardinalis as mine have seen their days.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

April 12th, 2017, 5:01 am #7

And still I buy more.

I’m an addict.

I definitely think I am in the same boat as everyone else. I think my dreams about how our garden will look often don't match reality or my budget! One plant easily turns into ten! We have a few fairly good nurseries nearby in terms of hummingbird plants, but extensive online shopping is right at my fingertips and I don't even have to leave the house!
Last edited by kathirock on April 12th, 2017, 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 12th, 2017, 1:11 pm #8

And still I buy more.

I’m an addict.

That last line really hit home, Kathy. I have two or three or more packages arriving at my house every week.

It's just so easy.

And often one saves some money. I buy my pool filter cartridges online and save over a hundred dollars. I bought the cell for my chlorine converter and saved $150.

Got ink for my printer for about one-tenth of the cost of Cannon ink.

Most I get from Amazon--free shipping.

Yesterday I went to my favorite produce store to buy tomatoes and avocados. They had a beautiful coral honeysuckle growing up a small wood trellis.

And,as they say, the rest is history.
Central Florida 9B

April 12th, 2017, 2:20 pm #9

And still I buy more.

I’m an addict.

I don't think there is a cure for this disease/addiction...LOL. I have the same problem and issue as all mentioned above. I keep removing lawn and putting in new beds. The backyard is off limits (at least for now --wifes orders--). So I am buying more pots and more hooks to hang hanging baskets and more whiskey barrels...these darn hummers sure have it lucky at my house...I have about 30 or so plants set to arrive from FBTS in about two weeks, I am going to be busy planting real soon.

April 12th, 2017, 5:41 pm #10

And still I buy more.

I’m an addict.

Tom,

Sounds as if you're in good company. I could think of much worse things to be addicted to lol And, you have one of the most beautiful yards and gardens that I have ever seen. I can't think of any other addiction that makes one's world more beautiful.

I am also a plantaholic. It became very obvious when moving from an almost 2 acre yard in north central Florida to a 1/4 acre lot in SW Florida a little over a month ago.

Joe was kind enough to let me put in a 40' x 20' butterfly/hummingbird garden. There are two really great local nurseries close by that know me by name now I told myself that I would leave plenty of room between the plants for them to mature. Well, I have spent way too much already for plants, dirt and mulch (addicts won't tell you how expensive their habit really is). The garden is already starting to look cramped. I'm thinking that next year I'm going to be begging for another little piece of land to put all the divisions and cuttings from this garden

Good thing I don't have any other expensive addictions lol

Rhonda
Last edited by rvird01 on April 12th, 2017, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never stop enjoying life,
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

Confirmation of reply: