Move Over, Shawon Dunston

Spaceman
Hall of Famer
Spaceman
Hall of Famer
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 9:05 am

November 19th, 2017, 10:51 am #1

I just ran across this in managing some roster moves in my solo project. Outfielder Alejandro Sanchez had 133 PAs in 1985 (real life, that is) without drawing a single walk. That seemed really odd, so I checked the stat on Baseball Reference, where I found that Sanchez played in parts of six seasons in the majors, had 320 career PAs and drew ONE WALK. Any player who reaches the majors and has that many PAs should walk more than that BY ACCIDENT. How in the world did any MLB manager give this guy any playing time?
Quote
Like
Share

Mike Hais
Major Leaguer (Starter)
Mike Hais
Major Leaguer (Starter)
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 10:57 pm

November 19th, 2017, 4:38 pm #2

Spaceman wrote: I just ran across this in managing some roster moves in my solo project. Outfielder Alejandro Sanchez had 133 PAs in 1985 (real life, that is) without drawing a single walk. That seemed really odd, so I checked the stat on Baseball Reference, where I found that Sanchez played in parts of six seasons in the majors, had 320 career PAs and drew ONE WALK. Any player who reaches the majors and has that many PAs should walk more than that BY ACCIDENT. How in the world did any MLB manager give this guy any playing time?
I looked up Sanchez's stats on Retrosheet trying to figure out why he was around MLB for at least parts of 6 seasons. About 70% of his games played and 60% of his at bats where with the Tigers in 1985. In a way he foreshadowed a type of batter that has become common today: a low average hitter who has some power and strikes out a lot. In 1985, he batted .248, had 14 extra bases hits in 133 at bats, but also struck out 39 times. And, yes, he did not walk that season.
Quote
Like
Share

dmbpbp
All-Star (Reserve)
dmbpbp
All-Star (Reserve)
Joined: June 13th, 2010, 8:23 pm

November 19th, 2017, 10:05 pm #3

Low walk numbers are typical of Latin players, although this guy took it to the extreme.  Remember the now old line, "You can't walk your way off the islands."
<br>
Quote
Like
Share

Spaceman
Hall of Famer
Spaceman
Hall of Famer
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 9:05 am

November 20th, 2017, 8:17 am #4

dmbpbp wrote: Remember the now old line, "You can't walk your way off the islands."
Indeed. I don't remember who it was first attributed to, but it's been repeated a number of times over the years. As you say, though, this guy took it to a pretty ridiculous level. Even pitchers draw walks more frequently. It makes you wonder if this guy ever saw a three-ball count.
Quote
Like
Share

tdotdo.dmbforum
Minor Leaguer (AA)
tdotdo.dmbforum
Minor Leaguer (AA)
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 7:08 pm

November 20th, 2017, 11:23 pm #5

Now I'm curious to find the one pitcher who walked him.

Found it...May 1st, 1986 at the Yankees. Dennis Rasmussen who walked 5 in 5 1/3 innings that day. After walking Sanchez, he was replaced.
Quote
Like
Share

relic52
Major Leaguer (Starter)
relic52
Major Leaguer (Starter)
Joined: May 16th, 2010, 12:13 am

November 21st, 2017, 9:13 am #6

Spaceman wrote:
dmbpbp wrote: Remember the now old line, "You can't walk your way off the islands."
Indeed. I don't remember who it was first attributed to, but it's been repeated a number of times over the years. As you say, though, this guy took it to a pretty ridiculous level. Even pitchers draw walks more frequently. It makes you wonder if this guy ever saw a three-ball count.
Yet in 1987 playing for Triple A Tacoma PCL, he walked 29 times in 236 PA.  Do you think that maybe he was determined to get back to the show? LOL 
Quote
Like
Share

GrandeOrange
All-Star (Reserve)
GrandeOrange
All-Star (Reserve)
Joined: April 14th, 2016, 11:51 pm

December 6th, 2017, 10:50 pm #7

relic52 wrote:
Spaceman wrote:
dmbpbp wrote: Remember the now old line, "You can't walk your way off the islands."
Indeed. I don't remember who it was first attributed to, but it's been repeated a number of times over the years. As you say, though, this guy took it to a pretty ridiculous level. Even pitchers draw walks more frequently. It makes you wonder if this guy ever saw a three-ball count.
Yet in 1987 playing for Triple A Tacoma PCL, he walked 29 times in 236 PA.  Do you think that maybe he was determined to get back to the show? LOL 
You're probably right. 
Quote
Like
Share