Moderator: Mission Moderators

The Children's Gambit

Reya Starlyght
C-Class
C-Class

April 15th, 2018, 5:54 pm #1

Claude Shountawl, an almost stereotypical gentleman from the minor noble family of the same name as his last. It was a silly sound, pronounced a bit like show and tell, although the man obviously didn't seem to realize such as he tended to emphasize each syllable everytime he introduced himself. His self-importance was of little matter in the end, however, only a minor hinderance in the grand scheme of things. Gentlemen who dipped their hands in the underworld were more often than not pains to deal with, especially when everything didn't play out the way they had planned, or when then created a larger issue than the one they had tried to solve.

The small village of Zinnia was an excellent example of investment gone wrong, once home to a slightly illegimate magical research facility owned by the Shountawl lineage, one that had been led astray into the madness of cult worship and the like. So called radiation had spread across the town, turning those previously established with no power into raving mad mages, hell bent on summoning some sort of demonic entity, and those had a magic aptitude seemingly unaffected, although their power had been increased substantially while within the area, not without the drawback of being subject to human sacrifice in a way to appease a so called god. Or, at least, that was what the dear Mr. Claude had written.

The family had pushed the threat to society under the rug as soon as they had heard of it, obviously fearing public opinion and the chance that their riches could be stripped from them due to some obscure law. So, instead of calling the knights, who couldn't be trusted, or the guilds, who also couldn't be trusted, they had reached out to those loosely, or not at all, affiliated with such. Other noble families who were known to waltz with crime, mages whose absence wouldn't be noted from the world and didn't spill secrets easily, mercenaries whose mouths could be shut simply by putting on a bonus rate. Few had responded, however, and even less bothered to interact once details had been established.

All of that was probably why Leonidas had been contacted, in the end. A friend of a friend of one of his associates, he guessed, or something like that, was how the Shountawl family had managed to come up with his name. Clearly desperate, they had offered a lot of money, but it wasn't as though that was what had drawn him to the case. No, the situation itself was what had led him to his current location, a forested area between Belladonna, Dandelion, and the Mazahar Basin. The agreed meeting spot, were anyone else to show, and where Claude himself would supposedly be briefing them. Leonidas doubted such, certainly the environment would not agree with a fancy suit and shined shoes, although the blonde himself was wearing a navy blue dress shirt and tie compared to his usual attire, but nonetheless he waited, plucking flowers from a rose bush in almost complete oblivion of the thorns digging into his flesh. With about five or so, he arranged them in a bouquet, before pulling the petals off each bud in a bored fashion, scattering them to the wind.

kanna
D-Class
D-Class
kanna
D-Class
D-Class

May 4th, 2018, 2:41 pm #2

Twin shoes of black and white swayed playfully from under the bottom of their owner; the small girl remained seated on a bench of luscious cream-colored velvet, accented with golden rope trimming, and as she sat there, she appeared to be anxious and nervous, constantly checking the enormous doors of mahogany for any signs of her Lady’s exit. She had been waiting for over an hour by now but patience was supposed to be a virtue and while thinking of virtues, she giggled unto herself, thinking virtues were something none of them had acquired during any of their lifetimes. Happy to think of one of her immediate relations having virtues, being all righteous, and for the good of mankind, made the time pass by a bit quicker, just not fast enough. It wasn’t but a few moments later that she heard yelling, though she couldn’t quite make out what was being shouted, she drew herself closer to the double doors to listen, nearly falling over in order to spy on the conversation at hand. Finally, as the voices quieted, she took it upon herself to slip into the marbled floor and knelt at the bottom of the doors, pressing her ear against the minute crack to further eavesdrop.

Pardon me, miss?” a monotone voice coughed behind her.

Turning to look at the servant, she frowned and placed a finger over her lips, signifying for their silence. Just then, a series of scratches echoed from behind the doors, along with an inhuman amount of shouting, and suddenly, the sounds of glass shattering and wood breaking made the girl get up from her position and back onto the bench as if she was desperately trying not to get caught. The servant, however, stared at her with a look of bewilderment until wooden shrapnel impaled his head and chest as the doors were literally ripped apart, apparently from an implosion that caused the mahogany to burst. With wide eyes glossed over from the shock, she blinked slowly until a girl smaller than herself stepped over pieces of jagged wood and carefully avoided the blood pooling in the otherwise pristine floor. She carried a small doll like looked eerily like herself, kind of creepy-like, but the girl was known to be quite a narcissist. The two never made eye contact as she took the opposite direction, leaving behind the mess for someone else to clean up, but stopped for a second which caused the maiden to hold her breath.

”Please don’t talk to me, please don’t talk to me, please don’t talk to me.”

The tiny girl continued forward without speaking, allowing the other to exhale heavily and slouch against the back of the bench, thanking the heavens that she didn’t have to carry on a conversation with that wicked little brat. Soon after, her Lady made her exit and followed the same routine the girl had – stepping over the broken shards and tip-toeing over spilt sanguine – but didn’t stop and continued on without so much as looking at her maiden. Quickly running after her, she started to ask what the hell had happened but before she could, Kanna slammed a neatly procured folder of paperwork against her under-developed chest.

I have been given an assignment,” she mumbled.

An assignment? What kind of bullshittery is this?” the maiden replied as she flipped through the paperwork and chuckled hysterically, “Demons and the Occult! You know absolutely nothing about those things and furthermore, shouldn’t that one boy… I’unno, what’s his face… shouldn’t he be dealing with that sort?

Kanna sighed, “Investments.

Narrowing her crimson orbs, the girl pursed her lips and squinted, “Now’s not the time for your shenanigans, milady. What investments? Like, is the family invested in this place? Or are… we… ARE WE INVESTED IN DEMONS NOW?!” Quietly, she grumbled, “I knew that tiny bitch was a demon all along…

Have my things ready in an hour,” she spoke in a defeated tone of voice.

And so, somewhere in middle of… you know, Kanna wasn’t entirely sure where she was. Never being adapt with directions, barely knowing her cardinal directions without getting East and West confused was a success, she kind of just, followed her instincts and the poorly drawn map that stated, “If you pass the rock with markings, you’ve gone too far.” Not really, but it might as well of said it. Anyways, she sauntered through the wooded thicket, attempting to find where she was supposed to meet whomever else was involved, the Lady could feel beads of sweat forming upon her brow. To say she was unhappy, would have definitely been an understatement as she felt barbs sticking to the dark grey pants she wore and every so often, she’d have to stop to pick them off lest she appear unappealing. Her jacket matched the pants which was going to have to be removed sooner than later because, Jesus Fucking Christ, it was hotter than Hell and the sun was beating down on her dark clothes, making her feel even sweatier. This was most definitely the worst thing she’d ever done and by no means, was she enjoying any minute of it.

Not far away, the Ashur found a little-bitty clearing where she could finally stop all this trekking and calm her hot-headedness. Literally and figuratively. The closer she got, the more she felt a false cooling sensation but no, that’s not all she was about to find. Bursting out of the woods like a psychotic lumberjack, Kanna’s left eye twitched uncontrollably as she pointed at the little boy playing with flowers.

YOU! Of all the people I should meet here, it had to be YOU,” she growled and carried on like an unpleasant child.

Hurrying herself, she sat down on a nearby rock and removed her jacket, allowing the breeze to caress her flesh that was marked with obsidian cracks, then drank water from a bottle that had been stored in a pocket on her pants. The tank top she donned was fashioned out of a white gossamer and shimmered ever so slightly as the sun began to set which offered an even cooler breeze. It also calmed her a bit more, not enough for her apologize or anything, but enough to keep her from attempting to dismember him for what he did the last time they were around each other.

Why are you here, Herr Leo?” she spat with intentional sarcasm and drank more water, waiting for his response.

||Kanna Ashur||
けつお食べる

Reya Starlyght
C-Class
C-Class

May 21st, 2018, 11:12 am #3

A painted smile shown on his visage, for even before she spoke, even before he looked up to acknowledge who approached, he knew who it was. Impossible, others claimed, perhaps preposterous or maybe unnatural, but did it matter? In the end, no, it didn't. Leonidas dropped the flora he held, flinging it into some bush or foilage behind him, not bothering to check what it was, and then locked eye contact with the girl. Feral, untamed, mad. She had been rather chaotic during Bosco, but this was a completely different level. Unfortunate? Perhaps, but only time could tell. He highly doubted she would be more cooperative today, but from his own experiences Kanna was extremely erratic, annoyingly so, enough that pretty much anything was within the realm of plausibility.

"Hello," the blonde stated, a calm, emotionless recognition. He didn't care for her tone, and for that reason didn't reciprocate it. Words were better used as venom than fangs, an immediate, usually easy to shake off impact versus sentiments that lingered for much longer, slowly poisoning their recipient. They haunted so much more than any action, for while physical pain was temporary, the sensation forgettable over time, a gut-wrenching statement would cause the same reaction as the initial blow until brought to the forefront and accepted.

Her sarcasm was duly noted, but in the end dismissed for what it was. He hoped she would cool her head soon enough, but for now Leonidas would have to deal with it. Taking care of a human sacrificing cult with a deranged cannibal... ah, who was he kidding? No matter the girl's mood it probably wasn't going to end well. Perhaps she would simply be satisfied with doing whatever the hell she had come to the place for, but if she interfered with anything important that would be... terrible.

"I could ask you the same thing, Fräulein Kanna. I don't think you're here to grace me with your presence, hmm? I would think it to be more flattering of a lady to not point her finger and instead discuss matters like a civilized human being," he responded, his tone mostly pleasant except for the way it curled ever slightly around the Boscan title and glanced over his last two words. "A member of the Shountawl family contacted me, said they had a... situation. In my experience, those do tend to be quite intriguing."

kanna
D-Class
D-Class
kanna
D-Class
D-Class

May 23rd, 2018, 8:23 pm #4

There were few things Kanna despised moreso than mockery which is exactly what Leonidas always did as his words were always so carefully chosen and his tone was always dispatched with jeering undertones. Truthful words, honesty may have been present, but it was the delivery in which the boy spoke that made Kanna’s skin crawl, made her inner hatred flare up with desire to consume, and of all people that she’d ever encountered, it was this boy that brought such sadistic pleasure to emerge. She hated him with every fiber of her being as he was exactly the trigger that she so desperately tried to avoid. With Leonidas, she could not simply charm her way past him nor could she become outright violent to appease him; no, none of those things would cure his boredom. Afterall, living for so long becomes nothing short of a bore and he’d seen as well as done all this before – nothing was ever new, no emotion had been unfelt and it was that which she loathed about him the most. If she were truly capable of feeling the least bit normal, it would be pity for him rather than hatred and so, despite his derision, she refrained from lashing out and calmly gazed at him with lowered hues of placid sapphire.

Though I am not personally acquainted with the Shountawl family, we have invested in these lands and with such a fiscal responsibility, I have come to ensure the safety of that which belongs to us,” she responded with no attitude but with genuine sincerity.

Kanna was one to take her role as the next heir very seriously and by no means, did she find this situation without merit even if she believed nothing of demons nor the occult. However, she knew the person across from her had divine blood, whether or not it was of demonic origin, she didn’t know but the fact remained that it was special. From where she sat, she could smell the entrancing aroma of his vitae, of his very essence, and as much as she yearned to rip his head off and drink him completely dry, she did no such thing, opting to remain where she sat with her eyes fixated on his throat.

Human sacrifice is hardly something new, Herr Leo,” she began, crossing her legs as she distracted herself from the sound of his slowly beating heart, “Gods are cruel, no matter which deity one may pray unto, and they require sacrifice to be pleased. Some view it as though it is inhumane and choose to kill animals rather than humans but the blood of innocence is what all gods desire. To willingly sacrifice the pure, the untainted, the virgin; that is what makes devotion true and reveals one’s faith in that which is unseen. I have no desire to interfere with religious ongoings but it is your intentions that I must be ever watchful of, my darling.

Kanna smiled, eerily so, “Where might our liaison be, would you know?

||Kanna Ashur||
けつお食べる