Moderator: Mission Moderators

[Graded]Sun and Sand

Balmung6
S-Class
S-Class

12:15 AM - Dec 30, 2016 #1

Varriden shielded his eyes with the brim of his hat as he walked through desert, keeping the heat and sun off his head. The hat wasn't originally his - he'd bought it for a fairly cheap price back in Ach'Var to keep himself somewhat cool on his trek through the desert. Thankfully, being the early morning, the desert sands were still somewhat cool, the sun not fully in the blue sky just yet, only just having managed to heave itself into the air over the distant horizon - which was still sand, given the sheer size of the desert. The winds were fairly mild today, only catching the occasion bit of sand to brush it along the surface of the sands, as if mildly swept by some giant, unseen broom as it passed over the desert's face, and Varriden was glad the winds were mild, as otherwise that sand would be thrown in the face of anyone traversing the desert, like himself.

Despite the sands, however, Varriden had a somewhat steady path to keep pace upon, a faint trail in the rock, ever-so-slightly elevated and worn smooth by the combination of weather, time, and many travelers using it over the years, and it's elevation ensuring it wasn't buried under the sands except during the fiercest of sandstorms. The unfortunate part was that he would eventually have to leave the path, as his destination lay off the path - ruins found within the desert, which, obviously, weren't parked close to the path itself, though they should be visible in the distance from the path.

Hopefully things go better than the last time I tried this, Varriden thought, recalling the traps he'd had to deal with the last time he'd gone exploring in ruins in this desert. And to top it off, I won't have one of Fairy Tail's stronger mages to assist me if trouble arises this time around. At least I'll have some of his techniques to help me. Varriden pulled a map out of his pocket and unfolded it briefly, pausing briefly to look it over - Varriden was used to walking and reading at the same time, having developed the necessary awareness and reflexes to avoid walking into things, but given the unforgiving footing in the desert, walking and reading at the same time was a quick way to end up with a face-full of sand. Assuming I'm reading this right, the ruins should be off on the western side of the path somewhere, Varriden mused, glancing over the desert sands to the left side of the path, where nothing but sand was visible. Guess I still need to travel a bit farther.
[+] Spoiler
Blitz Ranfen

Power: 139
Endurance: 139
Toughness: 139
Speed: 139
Accuracy: 138
Magic: 150 (420)
• Swiss Army Mage
• Fairy Tail
• Living Weapon
SP Earned: 1059
Jewels: 16,300,000
Threads:
Just Passing Through
The Moses of the Metal Sea
The Not-So-Hidden Master
[Crystal Corruption Arc - Part 4] Red to the Core
[SS Arc - Part 1] The Metal Meteor
[B-Rank Mission] Temple of the Lost Grail
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Cute Fish
The Winter Wonderland Raid
[+] Spoiler
Varriden Stone

Power: 22
Endurance: 22
Toughness: 22
Speed: 22
Accuracy: 22
Magic: 90 (180)
• Arcane Codex
• Lamia Scale
• Archive Magic
SP Earned: 235
Jewels: 2,209,000
Threads:
Summer's Not Over Yet!
Borne from Blood
Who Knows Joy?
Late Night Study
Reflected Light
Rune for Two More?
Shadows and Scholars
[D-Rank Mission] The Search
The Sniper and the Scholar
Desert Sand and Oasis Green
Adventure in the Quartz Canyon
[+] Spoiler
Felix Thorn

Strength: 10
Accuracy: 10
Stamina: 11
Speed: 11
Magic: 20
• Djinn User
• No Guild (yet)
• Elemental Summoner
SP Earned: 17
Jewels: 100,000
Threads:
(insert thread name here)

Tech Garage - Give suggestions/opinions on techs/tech names of mine, or ask for some on your own techs!

Zouledge
C-Class
C-Class

3:11 AM - Dec 30, 2016 #2

To some people to skin blistering heat of a dessert would be in the last place they would wants to be, however for the Sun Magician Soliel it was all to familiar to home. To him walking across the rough desert sands was something he was all to familiar with, still though the lack of anything resembling his home was rather...disheartening the young mage was starting to wonder if he would ever find it. It didn't help that he had only come across various small ruins of what he assumed was some old civilization that seemingly died off centuries ago. "curious that the most interesting parts of these ruins lay off the main path..." he noted to himself as he read his map, he asked the locals who he occurred the map from of what was there. they had told him . that off the path lay the larges ruins of the former civilization. thinking to himself that such a place would undoubtedly hold some secrets worth knowing or some artifact that may help him find his way back home.

Heading off path and onto the unknown desert sands Soliel made his way to the ruins expecting to find nothing more than some slightly larger remains of the same buildings he had come across before, and while his clothes was far from what most people would wear for this kind of environment Soliel himself was barely bothered but it . The young sun mage would continue walking towards the ruins without only occasionally blocking bits of sand that would try to get into his eyes, It did help though that he was walking rather early in the morning as the temperature was rather cool in comparison to how it would be during in the middle of the day. As Soliel continued making his way he noticed various local animals digging in and out of sand as the sun was slowly starting to rise up once, unpin further inspection of these creatures as well as the direction of the sun was rising from Soliel was firmly able to deduce that he in fact no where near his home.

While he expected it did disappoint him quit a bit, seeing as the ruins could at the very least help point him in the right direction to where he would have to go...and besides he was rather comfortable at that moment and wasn't quite ready to head back to "normal" civilization at the moment and so marched on forward.
[+] Spoiler
Zoul Helel

Stats - 130
Strength: 26
Accuracy: 24
Stamina: 25
Speed: 24
Magic: 30 (31)• none
• Fairy Tail
• Azure windt
SP Earned: 15
Jewels: 3,500,000
Threads:
Regular/Arc threads
Empty Slot[Reserved for Ayano]
Empty Slot
Empty Slot

[+] Spoiler
Soliel Nakar Girugamesh

Strength: 11
Accuracy: 11
Magic: 4
• Karna
• not in a guild
• Knight of the Sun
SP Earned: 3
Jewels: 550,000
Threads:
Regular/Arc Threads
Empty Slot [Reserved for Ayano]
Empty Slot
Empty Slot
Mission Thread

Balmung6
S-Class
S-Class

5:42 AM - Dec 30, 2016 #3

Varriden kept walking, checking the map every now and then, keeping an eye on the western horizon as he walked, making sure to double check every time he spotted something on the horizon that was a different color than the shifting sands around it. Occasionally he'd just spot a bird or a mirage - thankfully, he was aware enough of the desert's dangers to note the heat waves that caused distortions in the air like that, the kind the foolish or desperate approached without caution.

After walking for a good while, he eventually reached a point where the rock-like path underfoot began to give way to a more giving, less sturdy kind of trail - still stable enough to walk on, perhaps even stable enough to take wagons across, but it was closer to dirt than the previous rock. Shouldn't be any less problematic for a single traveler, though, Varriden thought to himself. Hopefully there haven't been any heavily-burdened transports moving through, otherwise, the track might be a bit more torn up in places from the wheels.

As he walked, the sun slowly rose higher, turning the atmosphere of the desert from a morning chill into an early afternoon warmth, though the desert's true heat hadn't come out to play yet, thankfully. I've got options if it gets too toasty out here, but I hope this hat will take off the brunt of the heat, Varriden thought, glancing upward at his new hat.

After a time, he spotted something - not on the sides of the path, where he'd been keeping an eye out for any sign of the ruins he was interesting in observing, but on the path itself, because a glint of sunlight had caught his eye - usually that meant water of some kind, but this was something moving - as he got closer, it was revealed to be a blonde-haired young man in a vest with a jacket under it, the hood pulled over his head. Guess the heat doesn't bother him, Varriden mused to himself, but you'd think that the combo of jacket and vest would leave him a bit toasty.

"Hello there, fellow traveler!" Varriden said from behind the man with a wave, trying to be friendly - after all, people wary of bandits might not be as kind to someone who appears out of nowhere. "What brings you this far from civilization?"
[+] Spoiler
Blitz Ranfen

• Swiss Army Mage
• Fairy Tail
• Living Weapon
Threads:
Just Passing Through
The Not-So-Hidden Master
[+] Spoiler
Varriden Stone

• Arcane Codex
• Lamia Scale
• Archive Magic
Threads:
Summer's Not Over Yet!
Borne from Blood
Who Knows Joy?
Late Night Study
Reflected Light
Rune for Two More?
Shadows and Scholars
[+] Spoiler
Felix Thorn

• Djinn User
• No Guild (yet)
• Elemental Summoner
Threads:

Tech Garage - Give suggestions/opinions on techs/tech names of mine, or ask for some on your own techs!

Zouledge
C-Class
C-Class

7:35 PM - Dec 31, 2016 #4

Soliel continued marching his was through the desert sands as the day continued he was starting to wonder just how much longer it would take to reach his destination, with the sun rising it would only be a matter of time before the heat would became unbearable even for him. After all he may have lived in the desert doesn't mean he was immune to it's dangers, and this detour of his was taking a little longer than he expected meaning he lacked much of the needed supplies to avoid said dangers. Such as a hat all he had was a simple but small bottle of water of what he could only assume was some sort of metal. though it was far less shiny that he expected it to be compared to what he was used to.

Soliel however would soon hear something quite unexpected in a location so far out as here, was the voice from another person behind him. When he turned around he would see a much older person behind waving their hands towards him. Before long this stranger would much closer and asking what he was doing so far out here.

"i would imagine it would be the same reason you are here, curiosity of certain ruins." he answered to the stranger's question honestly, for he had no reason to lie or be deceitful and company is always a welcomed sight especially in such a stranded wasteland "My name is Soliel and you are?" asking how this stranger was as while he assumed their reason for being there was the ruins as they were for him. What made the young mage curious though is the reason behind that curiosity however, after all not many people would be willing to go out that far into the desert for some corpse of a former civilization.

Any answer the stranger would be willing to provide would be welcomed as more information about the world around him would make it that easier for Soliel to travel about. Though even he felt it was taking much longer than expected to reach these ruins guessing that the map wasn't exactly set to scale with the distance gap between the ruins and the path he was on earlier. Figuring that it would be of no harm to ask more questions " i don't suppose you've been to these ruins before? is there any we can expect from it?"
[+] Spoiler
Zoul Helel

Stats - 130
• Fairy Tail
• Azure windt
Threads:
Regular/Arc threads
Empty Slot
Empty Slot

[+] Spoiler
Soliel Nakar Girugamesh

• Karna
• not in a guild
• Knight of the Sun
Threads:
Regular/Arc Threads
Empty Slot
Empty Slot
Mission Thread

Balmung6
S-Class
S-Class

2:11 AM - Jan 02, 2017 #5

The stranger seemed friendly enough as Varriden approached him with a greeting, the fellow turning around at the sound of his voice to respond to Varriden's inquiry of what brought him to the desert, and it seemed to be the same reason Varriden himself was trekking through the sands - the various ruins that dotted the sandy landscape. "Ah, a fellow pursuer of knowledge, then?" Varriden asked, curious. "Or are you just looking for a place to explore for some fun? Either way, I'd say the ruins are probably a good choice - the ones closer to either the town Ach'Var or the paths through the desert have mostly been explored to at least some extent, but there are plenty more where that came from, and more being revealed all the time," Varriden pointed out. "With all the sandstorms that blow through the desert, the winds blast away the sand and reveal new structures beneath. I imagine they'd like to try and dig in likely spots where ruins are suspected - or at least help dig out some of the existing ones so they can examine the exterior - but digging in sand can be a very fruitless task if it's not set up exactly right, and if a sandstorm blows in, all your work can be undone in a single night." Varriden shrugged. "I can almost see why some people think trying to dig out the ruins is a pointless task, but we can't very well just ignore physical history in our midst. At least, that's my opinion."

The man introduced himself as Soliel, Varriden holding out a hand for him to shake as he replied. "My name is Varriden Stone - a pleasure to meet you, Soliel," he said with a smile, regardless of whether the man chose to shake his hand or not. Soliel inquired about the ruins, wondering if Varriden had been there before, clearly curious for at least a little bit of information. "Unfortunately, I haven't been to these particular ruins," Varriden admitted. "I've visited a ruin or two within this desert in the past, but the one in this direction we're going isn't one of the ones I've seen in my previous explorations of the desert. Thankfully, though, I do have a map to the general area of the ruins," Varriden added, pulling out the map and unfolding it so Soliel could see, "So at the very least, we won't get lost on the way there, if nothing else."

Varriden glanced at the map. "From what I can tell, the ruins are still further to the west," Varriden said, "We should be close enough to see part of the ruins if we stick to the trail and keep moving westward."
[+] Spoiler
Blitz Ranfen

• Swiss Army Mage
• Fairy Tail
• Living Weapon
Threads:
Just Passing Through
The Not-So-Hidden Master
[+] Spoiler
Varriden Stone

• Arcane Codex
• Lamia Scale
• Archive Magic
Threads:
Summer's Not Over Yet!
Borne from Blood
Who Knows Joy?
Late Night Study
Reflected Light
Rune for Two More?
Shadows and Scholars
[+] Spoiler
Felix Thorn

• Djinn User
• No Guild (yet)
• Elemental Summoner
Threads:

Zouledge
C-Class
C-Class

8:55 PM - Jan 03, 2017 #6

The stranger introduced himself as Varriden Stone and the fact that he had at least some experience in exploring ruins, so if nothing else it meant that Soliel could allow Varriden take the lead as it would be easier and less stressful for such a person to be in charge. when questioned on his reason for being there Soliel simply replied with "a mixture of both curiosity and purpose and you ?, most people would not be willing to venture so far for so little potential gain." questioning Varriden only made sense as the nature of the response would help him understand what kind of person they were.

Despite having the benefit of the doubt Soliel have heard about people with less than noble intentions who would explore the ruins and plunder what little worth is left behind, though as he he heard the man continued talking the less it seemed that outcome was likely to happen.

"what kind of ruin's have you explored if you don't mind me asking?" Soliel asked "more importantly what kind of ruins have you seen before?" continued mostly out of curiosity since ruins could very well belong to much not to long dead civilizations but instead it could belong to a hidden one. Such a thing would not be impossible.

"hopefully we can get there before the heat gets any worse." the young sun magician said as Varriden claimed that they would be need to go more westward to reach the ruins in question. Soliel would continue walking along with Varriden wondering just how these ruins would compare to what he saw before. The reason for that is because the smaller ruins he came across had little in the ways of identifying of who once owned them or who had built them or how how old the ruins were themselves.

Another thought occurred to him as well if the ruins in question were to be significantly larger than the other ones one could argue that said ruins still had objects of value whether or not these items had some innate magic was another thing all together which of course was concerning to the young magician. "has anyone been to these ruins before? and they did find anything ?" Soliel asked trying to see if his concerns where unfounded or not. Traps where another concern to him, it was not uncommon for certain individuals to leave Traps or other things behind to hide their valuables in these ruins and while he did have some magic to fight with it was far from a combat ready skill of his to use.
[+] Spoiler
Zoul Helel

Stats - 130
• Fairy Tail
• Azure windt
Threads:
Regular/Arc threads
Empty Slot
Empty Slot

[+] Spoiler
Soliel Nakar Girugamesh

• Karna
• not in a guild
• Knight of the Sun
Threads:
Regular/Arc Threads
Empty Slot
Empty Slot
Mission Thread

Balmung6
S-Class
S-Class

12:20 AM - Jan 07, 2017 #7

When Varriden asked Soliel why he had an interest in the ruins, his answer wasn't too different, technically speaking, from Varriden's own, though there were differences in the amount of overall interest, and perhaps reasons for said interest beyond mere curiosity for curiosity's sake. "I see. Then your reasons aren't too different from my own, in a manner of speaking," Varriden said, glancing across the desert sands as he spoke. "I admit, as someone who grew up in an academy, I have a habit of looking for knowledge for knowledge's sake, but if it's magically related, it does make it a bit more relevant for me, given my combination of career and hobby, but if I'm being personally honest, there's also a chance for me to forward some of my own, more selfish goals, though hopefully in a way that doesn't hamper anyone else."

Soliel asked another good question - if Varriden had explored ruins here before, what kinds had he seen in his previous adventures here? "Not many, but I've seen a few types." Varriden explained. "From ones that were the typical ruin - in that they were mostly destroyed or buried, with most of its valuables long-since looted and what little remained offering only hints at the civilization that forged them - up to ones that were still mostly unlooted beyond a certain point, because their traps were still in place and quite active," Varriden noted, "Including, in some cases, local animals who had taken up spots in the ruins as a place to live, which added an extra, more natural defense to the place. The last ruin I explored turned out to be home to a next of giant spiders - not only that, spiders who had adapted to their surroundings so well that they had the ability to mimic the stones of the wall, attempting to trap people who wandered down certain halls unknowingly." Varriden shook his head. "Creepy stuff."

As they continued walking, a thin path branched off from the main one, trailing vaguely off towards the ruins to the left of the path. Varriden changed course and stepped onto the new path as Soliel mentioned making it to the ruins to avoid the heat, Varriden nodding. "It shouldn't be long now - thankfully, we've got a guidepost of sorts in being able to actually see the ruins. As for the ruin itself, being this close to Ach'Var, doubtless it's been visited before - both by adventurers and looters alike, so anything of value that isn't difficult to reach or bolted down is likely gone already," Varriden added. "Much like any ruin that's been explored by more than a single party. When you learn that a ruin has been around awhile, you start to notice certain signs that point to if you're the first visitor or not. The upside to that is that it means any traps will have already been triggered or disarmed, so we don't have to worry about looking for trip wires the moment we reach the door."
[+] Spoiler
Blitz Ranfen

• Swiss Army Mage
• Fairy Tail
• Living Weapon
Threads:
Just Passing Through
The Not-So-Hidden Master
[+] Spoiler
Varriden Stone

• Arcane Codex
• Lamia Scale
• Archive Magic
Threads:
Summer's Not Over Yet!
Borne from Blood
Who Knows Joy?
Late Night Study
Reflected Light
Rune for Two More?
Shadows and Scholars
[+] Spoiler
Felix Thorn

• Djinn User
• No Guild (yet)
• Elemental Summoner
Threads:

Reya Starlyght
C-Class
C-Class

12:42 AM - Dec 20, 2017 #8

Varriden: 80,000 Jewels
Soliel: 60,000 Jewels

Inara Serra
S-Class
S-Class

1:31 AM - Jan 03, 2018 #9

This topic has been completed and graded by our staff, now been resolved, it is therefore closed and move to our library.

This is an automatic message.
Image credit to Mazohyst
[+] Spoiler

Mottos in Latin are so much more fitting.
Image Credit: Tenken
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler

Power: 83
Endurance: 85
Toughness: 83
Speed: 84
Accuracy: 83
Magic: 100[220]

THREADS 
Ravendark//Gale//Aji | Mission | Arc | Event

Personality wrote:Snow tends to be standoffish at first meeting. She can either warm to you quickly or hate you completely. Either way, she is loyal to a fault. Her major thing is the balance, that which keeps neither dark nor light from favoring too heavily in the world at any given time. Once you've won her favor as friend, it is hard to lose it. The same goes for enemies.

Magic Synopsis wrote:Snow's magic is a curse. Not quite literally. She has spent a lot of time learning to tame it, and it has never completely overtaken her, save once when it was new to her. In order to maintain balance then, she left the world of civilization, and came back more able to control the wolf within. It still shows when her grey eyes spark golden, however, before her temper snaps.
[+] Spoiler

Power: 25
Endurance: 32
Toughness: 30
Speed: 26
Accuracy: 27
Magic: 40(50)

THREADS  ☐☐☐ | ☐☐

Personality wrote:A researcher by profession, Sera prefers to keep her own company, or that of dusty old tomes whenever possible. While she is cold and logical by nature, that doesn't make her any less handy in a fight or pinch. Whatever allies she might accrue in her adventures in Fiore, she would always be loyal to. Well... Mostly.

Magic Synopsis wrote:The control of gravity is a finiky thing, but Seraphina has a decent grasp of it. It is a boon for the most part, and can come in handy on shadier jobs, especially that whole walking on walls thing. She also has the distinction of being able to distinguish between friend and foe when using her magic. Especially handy for not getting squished.