Mazohyst
S-Class
S-Class

11:35 AM - Feb 25, 2012 #2

I see a lot of people having some difficulty getting a character accepted. But, that's okay because we're here to help you get through the crucial, critical process of getting your character accepted. Without a character you won't be able to RP and progress, but once you get through this step and get really into it you're here (for life, whether you like it or not).

This guide is, for the most part, one that will help you get a character created and be prepared for roleplaying here on Fairy Tail Guild. Do not use this guide as a substitute for the rules. Instead, it is meant to point you to the various rules an order to make them easier to digest, offer helpful tips and resources, and help you construct a good character with which you'll have fun RPing as. I've been RPing for a decent amount of time (maybe something like six years?), and I'll be happy to offer you what I know. Note that this guide, along with all of the rules, is essentially a constantly changing work in progress. Of course, this also means that if you have anything to contribute to this guide, whether it be resources or opinions, or even critiques and reviews regarding this guide, feel free to mention something. I'll be happy to slap you across the face, then consider your comments. I'm being sarcastic. Note that I, Mazohyst and author of this guide, am incredibly sarcastic.

Now, there are a lot of rules on this board, some of which you may be unaccustomed to. It is important to note that this board isn't completely free-form. Instead, it uses stat point values to compliment and guide. However, FTG is heavily influenced by free-form RP and tries to stay as free-form as possible while maintaining balance through the use of stats, rules, standards, and things of the sort. Of course, with all boards of this type, as well as many games, it is important to read and understand the rules to acquire knowledge of what you can and can't do here on FTG. You may not get it all in one read though. However, that is perfectly fine. It is a lot to digest, but we'll be ready with a mint after your meal to help it get down. Take your time and get acquainted with the rules though. The better you understand how the FTG System works (i.e. the council of Admins and our puppets controlling you guys like brain washed minions) the more enjoyable your stay here (which will be forever) will be.

Mazohyst
S-Class
S-Class

10:32 AM - Apr 15, 2012 #3

Names -

Getting started with a character might be as easy as thinking of a name. Once you get a name in your head it can be a lot easier to think of other stuff. Here on FTG, your character's name can be just about anything. I've seen the ridiculous from 'Unlimit Sendo' (bless his mighty soul), to more ordinary and common names like Richard or Haley. The name could be a very archaic one, foreign, or entirely made up. Seeing that this is a fantasy board, made up names or ones inspired by other fictional media could be helpful and used. Additionally, since this is a manga/anime-based board, Japanese and other names originating from one of the numerous countries of Asia are pretty common. Some may even choose to go with ironic names, like naming a huge character 'Little Timmy' or 'Big Rick' when they're actually large or small respectively.

Resources that have helped me when it comes to finding names, as well as their meanings which could prove quite useful with constructing a character include: behindthename.com - Time and time again, this website has served me quite well. If I want to find a name which relates to Earth and I want an Earth-based character then it is as simple as looking through the name themes list, or directly searching for words in meanings or description. Additionally, it features a lot of names, both masculine and feminine (unisex as well), and also names in a lot of different languages, biblical names, mythology, etc.

Age -
Age is almost entirely at your discretion. There are people well over their 100s and characters that would still be in middle or elementary school. Though, it is typically preferred that characters are kept at least over the age of six for several reasons. In any case, 'old' characters are both those that have naturally aged, as well as those who appear to never age (like Ra's al Ghul from Batman or someone with some kind of Fountain of Youth-esque concoction, maybe a magical curse or whatever). The most common age group here on FTG consists of young adults and teenagers, which isn't surprising considering Fairy Tail itself is a series aimed at that demographic.

Gender, Height, and Weight -
Gender, Height, and Weight are sort at your discretion. Though, one might want to take things like BMI (body mass index). But, understand that BMI is features several critical flaws like not accounting for muscle and things of the sort. Anyway, BMI is basically the relationship between one's height and weight. While not entirely accurate, it can help to paint a general picture, which in turn helps you, the creator of your character describe.

Guild -

Starting out, your character is unable to join a guild. However, once you have earned 15 SP you are eligible for joining a guild. Joining a guild can be as simple as performing a modification for it, though it is encouraged that it is also done via in-character RP as well. For now, leave this either blank or mark it is N/A when creating a new character. For more information regarding Guilds, this is the place to go.

Class -

Class is what determines your general ranking as a mage. Not only that, it also determines what missions you can take. All mages start out as Class D mages, no exceptions. However, if you are not a magic user then the Class and Guild system is moot to you. As only mages can join guilds and therefore join missions class and guild is irrelevant. For more information, refer to the Missions and Assignments, Classes, Reputations, and Knights sections in the rules. For Knights, Class is replaced with Rank and Guild is replaced with 'Occupation' or something of the sort. Knights all start out as Privates and Occupation would be something along the lines of 'Knight of Fiore.'

Affiliation -

Affiliation is relatively simple. Light as in Good? Dark as in Evil? Or neutral, somewhere in between. You can get more into this using things like 'Neutral Good', 'Lawful Evil', things like that. That is purely up to you, just as long as your affiliation is listed in an understandable manner.

Mazohyst
S-Class
S-Class

7:27 PM - May 17, 2012 #4

Physical description is fairly important to paint a picture of what your character looks like. Many people here actually do use pictures, but a simple picture isn't always enough. Personally, I would recommend using both, as doing so helps both whoever reads your profile and RPs with you, as well as yourself. Frankly, I see far too many people just describing their character's general body size and proportions, hair, and eyes. As far as I see it, that is nowhere near enough detail to describe what they look like. Think about it for a minute - what if I simply described myself as "medium height and build, with dark brown eyes, and black hair." Of course, this is an exaggeration of a brief description, but I'm sure you can see my point. With those words used and only those words, you can't even get an accurate description besides whatever generic image you have conjured up as a result of such a brief and vague physical description. Literally nothing has been mentioned like eye-shape, skin color, stature or how I stand and physically hold myself, build, the style and length of my hair, and the proportions of my limbs in relation to the rest of my body.

Let's delve into this a little deeper, this time with an example:
wrote:"While Setsuna does not exactly have the most feminine appeal or look to her she is still physically beautiful in her own way. Ordinarily, her hair is worn down, allowing the plainly trimmed black locks of hair to flow down to roughly mid-neck length. The woman's bangs are roughly shorter, flowing down a little past her eyes. Speaking of her eyes, Setsuna's almond-shaped eyes are colored a deep, dark chocolate brown, looking almost black except under certain lighting conditions. Her silky smooth hair is much the same in that it is basically black but may appear to be a slightly dark brown under light. Typically, those dark chocolate brown eyes of hers are narrowed in a observant, cautious expression. Her hair style seldom changes unless necessary, neither does her cautious expression. However, he expression may gradually change once she has warmed up enough to someone. However, melting her icy exterior is often a challenge.

Save for the several scars scattered throughout her body, Setsuna's pale skin is otherwise blemish free. While her build seems average at first, almost petite even, Setsuna is fairly athletic with a body engineered with a preference for speed, agility, and overall maneuverability. As a result of her training and rather difficult upbringing Setsuna has a rather toned, athletic figure. While she is physically active, her skin is relatively pale. Despite all that, she still has some curves to her body, mostly around her hips and her legs. The ordinarily taciturn woman only has a relatively modest bust."
When I describe my own characters, I personally try to think of them not as simply being characters described by text. Try thinking of them as being similar to your favorite anime character. Notice how they have traits that can be easily identified, often making them noticeable. Of course, doing the opposite is also not a bad idea either. For example, you know how a lot of harem anime protagonists look the same? By looking at certain archetypes it's also possible to achieve a similar look. Of course, I don't mean to say to carbon copy things as that is never a good idea, but I'm sure that you get the jist of it.

I am of the belief that clothing, accessories, and whatever extra things you might have to add in their respective sections can be just as important as their actual physical build. Think about it - in anime, characters often wear the same or similar clothing everyday. As a result, you can often tell who they are and what they are like based on their wardrobe alone. Of course, I don't always recommend that your character wears the same thing. Instead, describing a general wardrobe and the types of clothing that they wear can be significantly helpful to imagining exactly what they look like. Thinking of clothing and putting them into categories can help to describe things. Like, splitting their wardrobe based on weather or formal or casual wear can be pretty helpful. Scars, tattoos, and jewelery, as well as things like scarves can also make your character more noticeable and identifiable. For example, think of Squall Leonhart from Final Fantasy VIII. When you look at that guy, you can easily pick out his trademark scar. Well, after you get past 3 dialogue boxes and conversations of him saying 'whatever.'

Mazohyst
S-Class
S-Class

7:34 PM - May 17, 2012 #5

Honestly, I find reading other people's personalities and things of the sort helpful to fleshing out a character's persona. Also, try not to think of a character as a character. If you can think of your character as a living, breathing individual this may help. Of course, the direct opposite is also true. If you're trying to establish an easily identifiable character, then adding in traits often portrayed by other similar characters of that archetype could potentially help.

Tossing in things like how they react to different situations help as well. All too often I see "X is calm, but fierce in battle" with fierce or whatever word is used and the fact that they're in a fight being the only thing that helps to characterize them, aside from when they're in their neutral state. Which reminds me - starting and describing your character's neutral personality then looking at two extremes could help. What's your character like when he's really energetic/excited? What about the opposite end of the spectrum where they are despondent and lethargic? Note that that doesn't necessarily mean either happy, sad, or angry.

So far, from what is written in your personality I can gather the following -

- Sometimes laid back
- Fierce in fights
- Passive, but also not afraid to speak his mind
- Situationally reserved
- Calm in battle (contrary to fierce, which he apparently is at the same time though I suppose both can happen at the same time)
- Likes peaceful areas

Of course, I could also be simplifying things too much.

Now, think of yourself or an actual person you know. Hell, a lot of actual characters could work for this. There is a lot more to them, right? Think of a character as a cake. You've got the basic layer, but frosting and filling, maybe some other toppings would help to make it a better cake as a whole. Things like down sides, things that get your character upset (whether angry or depressed), reactions to love life and the opposite gender, etc. Looking at things like a natal chart analysis using your characters information is pretty helpful at times. Of course, you don't even necessarily NEED cons and downsides, but keeping them in mind certainly helps to keeping a proper, strong characterization in your head or possibly in your RPs.

Using my own character Aiden as an example, I describe him being incredibly casual and nonchalant, humble even. At the same time, I realize that he can be that way but there is also a critical flaw to him. This would be that he has a distinct inability to let himself go, to go further beyond than the status quo, because he is complacent and lazy, unable to reach his potential because of the limitations he subconsciously sets on himself. Now, that suddenly sounds more believable than a character who is simply 'lazy, casual, and nonchalant'. Reminds me I should probably redo his personality for the 3rd time.

Another note: always, always, always you'll want to think about WHY your character is like he or she is. Why do they act that way? Is their a purpose? This gives your character more agency and purpose.

RPG Ashami.com - a very helpful little guide that lists a number of ways for you to determine the various aspects of your character's personality and history, including motivators, disposition, ideas about the characters core traits, sexuality and spiritual beliefs, as well as topics of conversation and quirks that can relate to your character.

alabe.com - is a helpful, free resource. It's basically a Natal Chart, which essentially grabs information from your birthdate and constellation signs and finds stuff about your personality. While this may not be 100 percent accurate and many are skeptical about horoscopes and things related to it (myself included), I have found it to be pretty helpful when constructing personalities.

tvtropes.org - basically, tvtropes looks at tropes (sort of like cliches and stereotypes in media) and examines them, grouping together characters and things in the same trope. It helps to look at other characters and get a feel of a certain archetype, and it's pretty interesting to read. Though, many find themselves sucked into this website reading pages upon pages for hours, with the thought 'just one more page' etched firmly into their thoughts.

Mazohyst
S-Class
S-Class

7:57 PM - May 17, 2012 #6

Stats
The following section is probably one of the most critical areas in determining your characters combat abilities, as well as their overall physical capabilities. Stats are pretty important, but at the same time they are nowhere near as important as you think. I know you're thinking, "Dude, that's just ridiculous. What the hell are you talking about?" Well, by this, I mean that this board is mostly free-form, with mostly being the keyword here. Then, why do we have stats? Simple. Stats serve as general guidelines for, as I stated before, what your character can or can not do basically. For example, you won't be able to lift cars or go all Hulksmash on people with a Power value of 10.

I'll break down what stats are for (by copypasting), but keep in mind that there is a much more detailed post regarding stats located here. However, you should always keep in mind that stats are generally guidelines and a lot of the words used to describe the different stat tiers are basically hyperbole or exaggeration.

- Power is a direct measure of your character's physical strength. How much they can lift, push, pull, carry is determined by Power and increased by further investment in this stat. The damage they deal with physical blows, be they bare-handed or armed, is measured by one's Power.

- Endurance is a direct measure of your character's ability to perform prolong periods of activity. By raising one's Endurance, you can dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge more often. You can stay active for longer periods of time. Where other characters might grow tired, you can run marathons as they catch their breath. This also includes efforts of magical exertion.

- Toughness is a direct measure of your character's ability to resist damage. By raising one's Toughness, you are more durable in combat. Essentially, this is your defensive stat. By increasing Toughness, you are effectively raising your "health pool". With high Toughness, attacks that might injure and maim others might become mere tickles to you.

- Speed is a direct measure of your character's ability to move. This means your movement speed and evasiveness. By increasing one's Speed, you gain the ability to move faster than characters who do not invest in Speed as well as increasing your ability to dodge and evade attacks through superior mental and bodily speed.

- The Accuracy stat determines a character's depth of perception. It allows you to follow moving objects at certain speeds and act accordingly to it from both a short distance and at a range. It is the main stat for someones aiming and their reflexes. Speed however also plays a key role in avoiding attacks.

- Accuracy is a direct measure of your characters ability to aim. By increasing Accuracy you can increase your chances of landing shots others might miss. But this also affects your up-close as higher Accuracy lets you do things such as landing blows in the chinks of your enemies armor. Accuracy also affects the rate of movement of your magic, letting it reach its maximum range more quickly.

Weapons & Equipment
Weapons and equipment basically refer to well... weapons and equipment. Completely new and fresh characters are only able to start with a limited amount of D-Rank items. Items which are D-Rank are relatively weak and are able to be easily broken by moderately capable magic and attacks, but they are still essentially capable of fulfilling their job as a tool.

I would suggest that all items following this exact template:

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Class:[/b]
[b]Description:[/b]
[b]Effect/Function:[/b]
This template is what is used to purchase items later on in the item creation section, which is located here under the modifications forum. Items are priced under a relatively strict system which is based upon the idea of 'base values' and 'effect values.' All items have a base whether or not they are neither a weapon nor a piece of armor or whatever. Base values basically mean the price of the base. For example, if one were to purchase a sword with a rank 4 fire technique then the base would be the sword itself. Obviously, it can be correctly inferred that the 'effect value' would be the rank 4 fire technique. When purchasing items with more than one effect a secondary base is applied. This is so that buying an item with 2 effects isn't ridiculously cheaper than buying 2 items, each with 1 effect.

For a better and more in-depth look on how items are priced and classed looking here is probably the most logical place to look.

Mazohyst
S-Class
S-Class

8:04 PM - May 17, 2012 #7

When creating your profile you should generally leave this blank, unless you are harvesting/revamping a profile, in which case you should already know what this is for. For now, leave the thought of harvests and revamps behind you. Just know that when you complete a thread and get it graded and then submit a modification those 'sources' go here. Sources are essentially anything that you have gained or lost SP or jewels from. This can be anything from events, jewel transfers, missions, completed threads, item purchases or resales, and other things of that nature.

Modification - This is where you submit a modification to your character's profile. A modification is essentially any edit you make to your profile, which a Librarian, Global Moderator, or Administrator makes sure that everything checks out and then edits your profile for you. Note that you do not actually ever edit your own profile, as they are actually locked once accepted and moved.

Official Grading Request Topic- Here is where you get your threads graded. Once you have completed a thread you post it here and then a Mission Moderator, Global Moderator, or Administrator grades it and tells you how much SP and/or Jewels you have earned.

Mazohyst
S-Class
S-Class

8:04 PM - May 17, 2012 #8

Skills & Disciplines are mostly self-explanatory. These can be things like basic survival skills, dancing, singing, sword fighting, a martial art or profession, things of the sort. However, yo0u must always, always, always know and understand that your character is limited by their own physical stats and abilities. This means that regardless of whether or not you are a skilled martial artist you are not capable of flinging boulders at people if you have a strength stat which does not permit you to do so. Sure, you can be a skilled Olympic weight lifter and know good and solid lifting technique, but you're still limited by your stats. Always know this.

Mazohyst
S-Class
S-Class

8:07 PM - May 17, 2012 #9

Magic is perhaps one of the most complicated aspects of approval, but if you are getting a character who uses magic accepted this is probably the most important part to understand. However, if you are making a knight or other such magic-less character then go ahead and skip this section. However, it is still incredibly important to understand the basic magic system here, regardless of whether or not it may seem initially confusing. But, bear with me, I'll try to make it as digestable for you so sit back on your ass and read carefully, chum.

- Magic Name is obviously self-explanatory. This is what your magic is named. You can name it whatever, just keep it language appropriate. However, the exception to this is if you have the name of your magic refer to 'dragons.' If you are not either A) a Dragonslayer already or B) trying to become one, then you can not have anything in your profile refer to dragons deliberately.
Tiers -
For Tiers there are 3 different 'Tiers' of magic. For the most part, tiers are based on the versatility of your magic as well as what type of magic it is. Certain magic types are tier 1, and others are 3. However, there are some types of magic which can either be Tier 1 or 2 based on certain things. Tiers also determine the rate at which one obtains Technique Points, which are used to level up your techniques.

~ Tier 1 Magics are generally the rarer forms of magic, including lost magic and things of the sort. More complex, versatile, and generally powerful magics belong here. Things such as gravitational control, spatial control, time control, explosion, and also telekinetic magics are inherently tier 1. Tier 1 magics are specialized in their particular form of magic and, unlike the other two tiers, can not learn other forms of magic. Also, they learn technique points at a slower rate but more on that later. Certain magics that appear inherently Tier 2 can also be included as a Tier 1 magic. This often refers to element-based magic which more heavily focus on their element and includes the ability to become their element. For example, compare Gray and Juvia from the series. Gray is able to make his element but he can not become his element, whereas Juvia has the capability to transform into a water or liquid state. Summoning is also a Tier 1 magic.

~ Tier 2 magic typically refers to elemental magic and other such advanced magic, such as non-elemental energy based magic. Something like a magic which involves the ability to create kinetic barriers and blasts and mostly just that would be included as a tier 2 magic.

~ Tier 3 can be as strong as the other tiers, however they feature an inherent weakness. Many of these Tier 3 magics are often the type of magic systems you will see included in the Special Magic System rules, with the notable exception being summoning as I have mentioned before. Take-over magics which rely on their forms and include a restricting global cooldown on transformations are perhaps one of the most versatile magic forms, but the cooldown limits them and therefore makes them tier 3. However, note that there are other forms of take-over magic, one in each tier. Generally, the most common form of ex-quip magic is also tier 3. Various types of item and equipment based magics are also tier 3. Due to their downsides, Tier 3 earns Technique Points at the fastest rate possible.

~ Starting magic is a special case. It's not an actual tier per say, but any character who goes for Dragonslayer magic starts off with what is known as 'Starting/Starter Magic.' This is known as a very weak, bare-bones form of true legendary dragonslayer magic and only includes basic, minor elemental attacks according to the dragon that they are reaching for. For more information on this you should certainly refer to the Dragonslayer Riddle section and their own section of the special magic systems.
Rank -
Rank refers to what power level your magic is at. Here on FTG, we use a relatively simple mathematical formula to determine your magic rank. The following formula is:
wrote:(Magic Stat/10) + 1 = Magic Rank.
Note that the lowest possible rank is 1 and the highest is 10.

Techniques -
Techs can be initially confusing at first. But starting off, all new characters start with (0/3). This means 0 used/3 maximum. As in, you have used 0 of the 3 technique points you earned, while 3/3 would mean using 3 out of 3. The only exception to this rule are refurbed characters. Like previously stated in the tier explanation, each tier earns technique points at differing rates.

# Tier 1 and Starter Magic:
Technique increase after: 10 Stat Points

# Tier 2:
Technique increase after: 8 Stat Points

# Tier 3:
Technique increase after: 6 Stat Points

Technique points can also be bought at a monthly rate of two per month. As for cost?

# Tier 1: 600k Jewels

# Tier 2: 550k Jewels

# Tier 3: 500k Jewels

Techniques are the bread and better of most, if not all mages. The name can be whatever you want. Power level means how many technique points have been put into it and how strong it is. The power level of a tech can not exceed one's magic rank. Type and Range are clearly self-explanatory, however range can be more complicated if you get down to it. However, starting out, it is recommended that you just shoot for 10 meters for every power level that the magic is. Meaning, if it's a rank 2 tech go for 20 meters if you're unsure of what it should be. Generally speaking, 10 meters per rank is a decent range. Certain attacks can also be touch-based, meaning you have to come in physical contact for it to work. Effect is obvious. What does your technique do?

Magic Creation, System, and Techniques - Here is an extensive and comprehensive breakdown of the magic system that we use. You should refer to this for your magic more than this guide.

Special Magic Systems and Pets - Here is a comprehensive outline and guideline to special magic systems and techniques. It includes Buff and Debuff spells, Dragons and Anti-Dragon magic, Exquip, purchasable pets, Summoning, Take-Over, as well as Archive Magic. As we find more magics which need a specific system and set of guidelines this section can and will increase.

Mazohyst
S-Class
S-Class

8:09 PM - May 17, 2012 #10

Getting your character approved requires two things A) patience and B) more patience. Contrary to popular belief, we are actually not a hive-cluster overmind of beings or robots. Instead, we're human as you are, or at least so we would have you believe. Getting your character approved requires two approvals. If you have to make an edit that is significant and you have already earned an approval, then you will have to get another 2 approvals as the change edits the first approval you have earned. A profile can also be moved back if there is a serious enough issue, but this is mostly rare and is generally a screw up on the staff's part. Please, be patient when trying to get your character accepted. Our active staff generally checks, approves, and critiques profiles very often. You may drop a link or plug for your profile in the chatbox, and also bump your profile. However, doing either excessively may cause your profile to be locked so it can not be posted in as a minor slap on the wrist.