Very Strange

pistol78
pistol78

June 12th, 2005, 6:48 am #1

So I just bought another NU50 off of Ebay only to find the following problem. The person I purchased it from was not using the ignition. He had it tucked away in the headlight case, and the bike would simply start with the run switch activated. Another wierd thing was that he did not have a battery either but rather had a "harness" so to speek set up with ONE red (the fuse line), ONE red into this harness doing nothing, ONE green to the harness, doing nothing, and TWO blk/red wires going into the harness and connecting each other. Of course with this set up the bike started and ran but nothing electrical ran. I managed to wire a battery and an ignition, to which i had the key and the lights worked, however the key did nothing. the blk/red wires where the ones that controlled the bikes electrical power. If the wires where connected the bike ran, if not the bike shut off. Can anyone explain this???

Thanks, Pistol

June 13th, 2005, 3:40 am #2

the {2} blk/red wires are inline to ignition circuit

the jumper that normaly connects them is on the connector that comes with battery

it was honda's way of trying to make sure, the driver did not remove the battery and use the moped without a battery..

if you have a good key-switch you can leave those 2 wires connected

the headlight is normaly connected to a seperate winding in the magneto/alternator and runs on AC voltage that is aprox 12v

the battery is needed as a voltage regulator and if it is NOT there the DC power on the main circuits will be high and burn out the lights IF they are connected.. it will also cause the voltage for the headlight to go as high as 50 volts at street speed and you will burn out the headlight

I reommend you buy the 12v battery imediately

if the horn doesn't work or the signals or tail light

then either they are all burned out

or the diode rectifer for the circuit is bad or misssing

TheMopedWhiz

Ride Mopeds..SAve Gas..Have Fun

pistol78
pistol78

June 14th, 2005, 3:11 am #3

But How did he get the bike to run without the ignition?

June 14th, 2005, 5:54 am #4

you are mis-understanding something here

what do you mean by ignition ?

all the parts that make the spark are there or the bike would not run

all a key switch does is allow the person with the key to 'lock ' the switch so the ignition system is grounded and the battery is disconnected from the horn and lights

when you remove the switch and connect the wiring together the bike runs

honda designed the battery / connector so that IF the battery was removed the igntion circuit would be OPEN/ incomplete

hooking the wires together where the connector was supposed to be was the same as plugging in the battery connector/jumper for the ignition { it completed the circuit }

the bike does NOT run from the battery, neither does your car..

it runs from the power of the magneto/alternator, so does your car.

TheMopedWhiz

Ride Mopeds..SAve Gas..Have Fun

pistol78
pistol78

June 14th, 2005, 6:54 am #5

n/m