82 EXPRESS IOWA!!!

82 EXPRESS IOWA!!!

June 20th, 2005, 6:15 am #1

Bought a couple of 82 express IOWA with 221 miles and 1200 miles. The 221 has battery and starts but dies when given the gas. Will idle for a while but then dies. Thing is the clip on the carb is on the 2nd from the top. Usually they are on the middle clip, aren't they?? I have tried both! I know these Iowa's are a mystery but it is very clean. Do I need to clean even more crap out of the carb or is it the needle position. Exhaust is fine............... Runs and then dies, when given gas bogs and dies. Screw at 2 turns out!!!

June 20th, 2005, 12:39 pm #2

I don't know about the clip setting,but someone here does.
I cleaned an Express carb about 3 or 4 times before I found a passage I hadn't cleaned near the edge of the float area. After cleaning it and blowing out all passages with carb cleaner, it ran great. But before it had the symptoms you describe. I installed an in-line filter below the tank to discourage any dirt getting in there from now on. don-ohio

Jax184
Jax184

June 20th, 2005, 9:25 pm #3

That's about right.
The Express is immensly touchy over carb dirt.
Get it all clean, stick the needle in the middle position and then try again.

If it still runs poorly, turn the throttle most way open and try starting it a few times like this.
If it fires up and revs high, running fine at those speeds but dieing when it gets back to an idle when you have two possible problems.
The first is the auto choke isnt turning off, and the second is the carb screws are out of adjustment.