Moderator: DirkNL

Krispy
Disgraced Dictator
Krispy
Disgraced Dictator

5:24 PM - Oct 12, 2006 #61

Tom Joad wrote: The price is the downfall of the PS3, and the lack of innovation is the downfall for the 360.
Both are null points.
wrote:Number of customers willing to pay "full price":

PS3: 8.9 million
Wii: 5.7 million
X 360: 800,000

--Interpret study
The study, conducted by Los Angeles research group Interpret, sought to determine which next-generation game console the US population currently prefers.
This study clearly shows price doesn't matter to the average American.

Innovation is dependant on the developer, not the system creater. Sure, you could argue that the Wiimote allows more innovation potential for developers, and you would be quite right, but potential isn't everything; in fact, it is nothing. What you mean to say is neither system appeals to you.
wrote:Rehashed PC titles, Rehashed FPS, and STILL no killer app. It's looking bleak for the 360.
I wouldn't be so quick to judge. "Next gen" games have barely begun to come out and there are many interesting and innovative games coming out on the 360 in the future. I would judge the game potential for the PS3 and Xbox 360 are nearly equal. Show me one game exclusive for the PS3 that has a certain attribute you would consider interesting and I can probably call one up for the 360.

Also I think it is important to clarify the techinical differences between the 360 and PS3. Both will be 1080p compatible. Both will beable to play HD movies. HD DVD is rated by PC Magazine to be the best solution (it uses mp4 instead of mp2 techonology -- for shame Sony) by the way, and Universal agrees. The cpu speeds are clocked exactly the same - 3.2 ghz. Now where the differences come is the architecture for developers. The Xbox 360 is designed to be a directx machine. It has three processers and an amplitude on onboard videocard memory. This is so that it can take advantage of advanced shaders and produce "fake polygons." By that I mean it creates detail and texture through shaders where there are actually none. For an example of what this looks like, check out Gears of War, Unreal Tournament 2007, or Crysis. THe PS3 on the other hand shoots out raw polygons like none other. It can and will produce sharper graphics with less optimizing. The PS3 will also beable to allow large worlds without the need to load areas as often as the 360.

Despite the core differences, the graphics will in the end be nearly identical along with nearly every other feature.

ChipBurcham
Struggling Scientist
ChipBurcham
Struggling Scientist

3:09 AM - Nov 13, 2012 #62

Deus Ex Machina, thanks for posting this topic. I think we'll have more video games in the future but I think GameStop stores will be discontinued in 10 to 15 years because" 1, GameStop's name indicates that games must stop existing; and 2, Fredricka Whitfield of CNN said 2 years ago that 1/3rd of GameStop employees would lose their jobs in about 2 years.

Kalkin
Disgraced Dictator
Kalkin
Disgraced Dictator

10:53 AM - Jan 24, 2013 #63

First generation consoles were advanced innovations, second generation consoles brought gaming to wide audience, third generation consoles are same crap as before.

That's the reason to waning of consoles. That industry ballooned for a while, but now it evens out. All the easy discoveries have been made in that market and unless something revolutionary happens to shuffle the deck, there won't any more great jumps. You can only go so far attracting game buyers with the pursuit of photorealistic graphics.