Moderator: DirkNL

God don't care about humans (if he exists)

Damien_Hell
Crazy Doctor's Apprentice
Damien_Hell

July 21st, 2006, 12:35 pm #1

I don't think that if god exists that he cares about humans. We're just play things for the species he DOES care about. If god was human then there would be no war, famine, suffering. Also we wouldn't need technology. We could fly around on magic crosses! But no we have war, sufferiing, famine, George Bush. Besides if Adam and Eve existed where did all the other races come from? Some guy decided that it would be a good idea to cheer people up with hope that if their good they get rewarded for etrenity.

EDIT: The topic is God don't care about humans (if he exists) It was a typo!

Necronomicon
The Apocalypse Itself
Necronomicon
The Apocalypse Itself

July 21st, 2006, 12:39 pm #2

I suspect you haven't been reading your bible. Why do you think god would prevent all suffering if he existed? Do you think this is supposed to be heaven?

In any case, I'm an atheist. But I try not to be a hypocritical atheist.
omar yo. omar comin

Damien_Hell
Damien_Hell

July 21st, 2006, 12:43 pm #3

I have read the bible and im atheist too. Thoughts like that (Do you think this is heven?) Is another thing I was thinking about. Excuses to why the world isn't better off. come on if you own a dog do you let it starve and fight otrher dogs till you take it into your house? NO! You do something!

The Ouroboros Conspirasist
Disgraced Dictator

July 21st, 2006, 1:12 pm #4

Actually Damien_Hell, from how you described it in your opening post I'd say you're more Apethetic Agnostic than Aethist. Aethist believe there is no god, Agnostics beleive that the claims of there being a god are irrelivent to life.

I myself am an Apathetic Agnostic. Whether or not God does exist, he/she/whatever doesnt seem to care about what happens on earth so why worship a god that doesnt seem to care about us.
"To the world you're just one person, to one person you're the world." The Fake Tracies - Dreaming

Resident Red Dwarf Expert

Dr. Jim
One Of The Four Horseman
Dr. Jim
One Of The Four Horseman

July 21st, 2006, 3:36 pm #5

If something exists, then it has an affect on stuff and does stuff. If it cannot be detected, doesn't affect anything, and doesn't do anything, then it doesn't exist.
So far god can't be detected, hasn't affected anything, and hasn't done anything.
...Matt was no exception to this. When he stood in the street and noticed his chest started to really hurt again, he made the decision to look down. He screamed like a grown man would scream when that grown man sees a laser burning his chest, and that is like a little girl...
-From Super Naked Moose Man

Flamingo
Could destroy Exit Mundi itself
Flamingo

July 21st, 2006, 7:29 pm #6

There is a god, at least in my opinion. There's wars and other disasters because i believe life is a test. Humans start the wars and for the disasters, that's just how the world is. Bad stuff happens. Good stuff happens too. I think we are awarded Heaven after we pass if we stayed good on Earth.

Tom Joad
One Googol Years
Tom Joad
One Googol Years

July 22nd, 2006, 1:32 am #7

I don't know anything about God (Agnostic Theist here!), but I'm glad that there is some pain and suffering in the world because it gives us motivation to make the world better and if we were happy all of the time, we wouldn't appreciate it.

piercehawkeye45
One Googol Years
piercehawkeye45
One Googol Years

July 22nd, 2006, 1:53 am #8

Well human nature in general will never let us be happy. We always have to have something better. Then when everyone gets the same thing that is the best, we have to get something different and unique. The cycles goes from there.
Dropped the atomic bomb let them know that it's real
Speak soft with a big stick do what I say or be killed
I'm America!

I have found the enemy and he is us.

NeoAegis
NeoAegis

July 22nd, 2006, 6:40 am #9

Dr. Jim wrote: If something exists, then it has an affect on stuff and does stuff. If it cannot be detected, doesn't affect anything, and doesn't do anything, then it doesn't exist.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but does that not sound like a spot on description of neutrinos?

You're also reading the Bible too literally. Adam and Eve did not exist. It's a story, and that's all it is.

I'm a theist with Catholic education if that's worth anything to you.

严加华
The Apocalypse Itself
严加华
The Apocalypse Itself

July 22nd, 2006, 7:54 am #10

NeoAegis wrote:
Dr. Jim wrote: If something exists, then it has an affect on stuff and does stuff. If it cannot be detected, doesn't affect anything, and doesn't do anything, then it doesn't exist.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but does that not sound like a spot on description of neutrinos?

You're also reading the Bible too literally. Adam and Eve did not exist. It's a story, and that's all it is.

I'm a theist with Catholic education if that's worth anything to you.
First, I'll correct you since you're wrong. Neutrinos do have an effect on stuff. That's why we have neutrino detectors all around the world. The problem with them is that they don't have a whole Hell of a lot of effect on stuff. This makes them very hard to detect but they have, in fact, been detected. Many times.

Second, this is my problem with Christianity. Whenever the Bible is clearly ridiculous we're told that it's only supposed to be a story to illustrate some moral point. Yet at other points we're told we need to take it as the literal truth. And at yet other points, when the moral point established in the story is clearly abhorrent (like killing all the people in a city because you really want to, or like kidnapping women and raping them because you're short on women of your own, or....) we're expected to handwave it away as a mystery.

Now even if I were to accept this nonsense as somehow valid, we're still left with a problem. How, precisely, do we figure out which parts of the Bible are supposed to be the literal truth, which parts are supposed to be symbolic and which parts we're supposed cough uneasily over as the horrific nature of the morality becomes obvious? The only real tool we have is our intellect. So why not just use our intellect directly for guidance instead of using an obviously-flawed, and often obviously-ludicrous book?
LC Sez: