Moderator: DirkNL

Kalkin
Disgraced Dictator
Kalkin
Disgraced Dictator

7:19 PM - Mar 01, 2012 #111

Well, God=world is propably the only way that God story would make sense. I mean the story goes: in the beginning there was only God in emptiness and then He made the world. This begs the question: What did he use for construction materials? The most obvious answer is: Himself. The whole E=mc^2-thing means buffing universe out from nothing would require a lot more energy (and in turn where would that come from?) than simply using existing stuff.

Now, what comes to God caring about people part (From now on you are ordered to assume for the sake of argument that God exists in some form or another.) it's a rather obscure issue. How do you figure whether someone cares for people or not? What form does caring take? What form should it take? Would it matter? What should God do about it? What could God do about it? Would God even be aware of humans (it's a big universe)? I figure that when people whine about God not caring about people, they actually complain that God has not given that particular person $10 million win in the lottery. Of course I would not turn down a few lottery millions myself, if they came my way. It would be disrespectful. However, I don't think there is much that God is able to do for humans, because human life on this little mud ball is more or less a zero sum game. God couldn't do much to benefit one person without screwing over some other person (although lottery is among the most victimless ones, so it's probably the one of the few proper things to pray for). Sure God could possibly teleport each person into his/her own planet and surround him with palaces, food, money and all the toys and gimmicks one could ask for, but somehow I doubt people would remain content with it for long. People would either go mad from loneliness, become quickly bored and depressed or keep demanding more insatiably.

Now, if we were to combine this problem with the idea of God=world, we could express the situation with a nice metaphor. Look at your left hand (if you had one), the little piece of skin between forefinger and middle finger (if you had them). Pick a skin cell from there (if you had skin). Now imagine yourself in the position of God and that skin cell in the position of some human being. Now, that skin cell gets more or less what it needs. It is born, it gets nutrients it needs, it grows old, it dies and it flakes off and ends up as dust covering the top of your TV set (if you had TV). Now, surely you care for that cell (if you didn't cut it off with knife while reading this), but what exactly could you do to the benefit of that cell that you aren't doing already? Would you be able to do more to the benefit of that cell? Would that cell be better off if you actually started doing stuff in its benefit or would you just cause it to suffer and die by your heavy handedness (a little pun)?

Now, let's take this metaphor one step further. Let's assume that that skin cell could pray to you (and it was intelligent enough to pray coherently). Now imagine that you receive that little skin cell's prayer (if you haven't jumped out of the window in panic, because you are hearing the voice of your own skin cell). "Oh please you blessed body, it is I Brian. I thank you for my daily sugar and oxygen. Forgive me for failing to keep a tan like I forgive to that blasted sweat gland that keeps oozing on me. Please give more fat. I would so like to became a juicy fat cell and could you please, pleeease scratch off that Percy. He keeps pushing his edges to my side. He's such a bastard. Amen." The question is: What would your responce be to that prayer (if you didn't run around screaming "AAWWW, my hand is talking to me. My hand is talking to me.")? Would you compassionately help the little skin cell? Would you hinder the little Brian? How would you accomplish either of those? What about Percy? Would you scratch him off? He's your skin cell too, you know. What did he do to deserve that kind of treatment? What criteria would you use to determine, what would make Percy deserve to be punished? What about Brian? For all you know Brian is just being a dick to Percy. Does Brian deserve to helped, and what would Brian have to do to deserve being helped? Would you even care about what your skin cells do (as long as they don't denounce you and start a skin cancer)? Why would you hinder one of your cells against another? Would you even be able to scratch off Percy without killing Brian too? Why would you be playing favorites with pieces of yourself? What about prayers of all the other cells, whole 10 trillion of them praying at once, how would you prioritize their demands (good demands, bad demands, stupid demands, mutually contradictory demands etc.)?

All these question you have about that skin cell of yours apply to your relationship with God (we're still assuming he exists). Consider that (OK, point has been made, you are allowed to stop assuming God exists.). OK, now stop assuming you can hear your cells praying to you. If you hear voices that just means you are schitzophrenic. Seek professional help.

Indigo95
Struggling Scientist
Indigo95
Struggling Scientist

4:43 PM - Apr 22, 2014 #112

Why do people expect God to be some magical heroic fairy who grants every wish, who feeds the hungry, and creates miracles (a sad excuse for people to think he actually exists), and ends wars? I don't get it...and if god doesn't do any of those things then he doesn't exist...? what? Idk People expect to snap there fingers or to summon a magical entity to appear before them. It's always "gimmie gimmie gimmie" with everyone but they don't want to abide by a magical book with rules, they don't want any consequence to anything and believe in some mystical god and blahblahblah lol. Who are we to think that we deserve anything at all? Is it because we have a job? we work hard? and pay taxes? and are "Good Samaritans". I really don't get it but all I have to say is that we'll all know when we die. None of us are dead yet so we don't know unless we die. I have my own beliefs but I am not a Christian. I'm just saying.

Nostalgia
Struggling Scientist
Nostalgia
Struggling Scientist

10:22 AM - Jan 06, 2017 #113

I don't know if God exists. I wish I had hope of a life after my death. That would be so nice. To those of you that draw feelings of comfort and relief from your faith in God, I envy you. I view my youthful passion for atheism with disdain now, as well as my arrogant, ignorant political beliefs. Age brings some measure of humility and an understanding of one's limits and flaws.