Supressing output in Maxl?

Supressing output in Maxl?

Brian
Brian

November 21st, 2011, 4:20 pm #1

Greetings-

We are using maxl to create export files for users, groups, etc, which use the SPOOL command in Maxl to generate a file for each outpu. However, I noticed that Maxl also echos this data to the screen (STDIN) when each command is executed. Is there a way to suppress this to the screen so it only goes to the SPOOL file?

A similar example would be using SET TERM OFF in SQL*Plus.

Thanks

-- Brian

November 21st, 2011, 4:25 pm #2

essmsh myMaxl.msh > NUL

Regards,
Robb Salzmann

Brian
Brian

November 22nd, 2011, 1:31 pm #3

Greetings-

We are using maxl to create export files for users, groups, etc, which use the SPOOL command in Maxl to generate a file for each outpu. However, I noticed that Maxl also echos this data to the screen (STDIN) when each command is executed. Is there a way to suppress this to the screen so it only goes to the SPOOL file?

A similar example would be using SET TERM OFF in SQL*Plus.

Thanks

-- Brian
Yeah, that works in suppressing the entire output of the a script, but I am only looking to suppress the output of a specific command.

Since I am already writing this data to a file via Spool, it makes little sense to also display to the screen. Output of scripts are piped to a log file and adding several hundred megabytes just uses up unnecessary space and makes the log files harder to parse when researching issues.

Thanks,

Brian

November 22nd, 2011, 2:28 pm #4

Except of course if you do this:
/* Yeah, I like double quotes and double escaped backslashes. */
spool stdout on to "c:\\\\temp\\\\output.txt" ;

--stuff--

spool stdout off ;

--other stuff that is for Secret Squirrel's eyes only--

spool stdout on to "c:\\\\temp\\\\output.txt" ;

The second spool will overwrite the first one.

So why not do it to output1.txt, output2.txt, outputn.txt, incrementing the output number as you move from step to step? It's kind of a bummer to have to concatenate the output files but really not that hard.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Confirmation of reply: