Substitution variable in partition mapping not being recognized

Substitution variable in partition mapping not being recognized

December 14th, 2011, 8:14 am #1

Hi on 11.1.1.3 while configuring a linked partition, the substitution variable in the mapping definition is not recognized ("... does not exist").

However the same subst. var. is being recognized fine in the area definition... I'm voiceless.

December 14th, 2011, 1:34 pm #2

Is it defined as global?

Regards,
Robb Salzmann

Tim Faitsch
Tim Faitsch

December 14th, 2011, 5:25 pm #3

Hi on 11.1.1.3 while configuring a linked partition, the substitution variable in the mapping definition is not recognized ("... does not exist").

However the same subst. var. is being recognized fine in the area definition... I'm voiceless.
You could not use the subs var in a mapping back in 6, I'm not sure if that's changed. Dba guide says you can use in a partition definition but does specifically say anything about mapping.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 14th, 2011, 5:26 pm #4

I lied. It does specifically say you can use it in a mapping in 11.1.2.1 Dba guide. Page 221.

Daniel Willis
Daniel Willis

December 15th, 2011, 2:55 am #5

I had this same problem and eventually gave up and made my own workaround. I didn't follow it up with Oracle but noticed couple of weeks later a bug got published for this (think it might have been an 'unpublished bug' until then).

Oracle support: BUG 7418041, BUG 9212303: When a substitution variable is used in the mapping for a replicated partition, replication does not work.

It is supposed to be fixed in 11.1.1.3.01 service pack (https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/art ... =1079720.1 for full details)

sroux
sroux

December 15th, 2011, 9:28 am #6

Is it defined as global?

Regards,
Robb Salzmann
Thanks Robb, indeed it work when defined globally! Nice workaround!

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 15th, 2011, 9:29 am #7

I had this same problem and eventually gave up and made my own workaround. I didn't follow it up with Oracle but noticed couple of weeks later a bug got published for this (think it might have been an 'unpublished bug' until then).

Oracle support: BUG 7418041, BUG 9212303: When a substitution variable is used in the mapping for a replicated partition, replication does not work.

It is supposed to be fixed in 11.1.1.3.01 service pack (https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/art ... =1079720.1 for full details)
Thank you for the information Daniel, I expected it was a bug but did not search the bg database yet!

So it works by defining a global substitution variable!

December 20th, 2011, 10:31 am #8

It never work no matter how we try...finally we came up using member alias instead of subvar. partition definition is able to recognise member alias, so we then use that. It easier to maintain and no hardcoding of member name

Tim Faitsch
Tim Faitsch

December 20th, 2011, 11:58 am #9

That interesting. I've never gotten an alias to work in a partition definition. It validates but the data never comes through, says so right in the Dba guide... I'm surprised the sub var wont work for you as I know I've used it before.

December 21st, 2011, 7:58 am #10

We tried to use subvar it validates ok, it created the partition beautifully but the data never flow through. That's why we then use alias instead of subvar. :)

Confirmation of reply: