SmartView -HFM

Venkat
Venkat

3:22 PM - Mar 14, 2011 #1

I am trying to connect to HFM and when doing so I keep getting a message saying:

XML Load Error: XML document must have a top level element.

5:52 PM - Mar 14, 2011 #2

Posting this here as well as the Oracle HFM forum where you asked this question also -- the HFM support forum is more likely to get answers than the Network 54 Essbase forum.

Per Support Document: ID 1062307.1

Cause
[None] member of Entity dimension has been assigned a security class to which the user has no access.

When first connecting to Financial Management application from Smartview, the Point of View defaults to top hierarchy members. Smartview users require at least Read access to each of these members, e.g. the [None] member of the Entity dimension.

Solution
Grant users at least Read access to security class associated with [None] member of Entity dimension.
The same applies to every dimension for which security classes may be assigned and where the UseSecurityFor...option is set in AppSettings.

Regards,

John A. Booth
http://www.metavero.com

Deborah Brown
Deborah Brown

5:42 PM - Jan 24, 2013 #3

I am trying to connect to HFM and when doing so I keep getting a message saying:

XML Load Error: XML document must have a top level element.
Hello,
You are confusing this problem with a point of view problem in HFM. This has nothing to do with any of the dimensions within Hyperion. I haven't yet successfully found the solution to the issue: "XML Load Error: XML Document must have a top level element." If I figure it out, I'll post it.

I have a user receiving this error using a Smartview Worksheet. She is trying to upload/submit data to the HFM Database. She receives this error. I can open her worksheet and submit the data without the error. I've checked the security on all of the HFM Members and there is no conflict or issue there.

I've googled this error and see that it happens for a whole host of programs and functions, not limited to Hyperion. Sql users, Visual Basic programs, etc.

I've seen that you've posted with certainty to several forums, this solution, but you've misdiagnosed what the problem is that people are having.

7:03 PM - Jan 24, 2013 #4

The way you confirm this really is security is you have the user with issue use a computer that works for you and doesn't for them.

Then it's clearly security related.

The XML error although it's general if you search Google is very specific to the Smart View application in this sense.

Regards,

John A. Booth
http://www.metavero.com

Deborah Brown
Deborah Brown

4:17 PM - Jan 25, 2013 #5

Hello,
You are confusing this problem with a point of view problem in HFM. This has nothing to do with any of the dimensions within Hyperion. I haven't yet successfully found the solution to the issue: "XML Load Error: XML Document must have a top level element." If I figure it out, I'll post it.

I have a user receiving this error using a Smartview Worksheet. She is trying to upload/submit data to the HFM Database. She receives this error. I can open her worksheet and submit the data without the error. I've checked the security on all of the HFM Members and there is no conflict or issue there.

I've googled this error and see that it happens for a whole host of programs and functions, not limited to Hyperion. Sql users, Visual Basic programs, etc.

I've seen that you've posted with certainty to several forums, this solution, but you've misdiagnosed what the problem is that people are having.
Hello,
Respectfully, if it's security, it makes no difference what computer the user is on. The metadata in HFM has security on it. The user is provisioned security. When they log on, their security is what it is. What difference does the Computer make, other than different versions of Excel, etc.?

And, I've checked the security on every metadata item and it's fine. And we have a handful of users, all on different PCs affected by this problem. Yet, I get no error when using a lower version of Excel.

Confirmation of reply: