Simple automation of attribute add

Simple automation of attribute add

February 13th, 2012, 11:03 pm #1

Hi Everyone,

Easy one I hope.

I want to add a new member attibute and assign it to another member in a more automated way then through the outline editor. We are using an older version of essbase (6.5.7). I can extract the outline to the member I am interested in using the outline extractor. However I wish there was some way of defining the new attribute using the outline editor and then locking and sending or loading the association of the member attribute with the other members in the hierarchy. The new attribute relates to customer type (text like: cash cow, star, money pit etc.) and the member I am relating it to is the customers name and unique # identifier. I have a lot of customers and their customer type in a spread sheet. I would like to be able to load this or vlookup this into a load file or lock and send file if possible.

Can someone direct me to how to do this? I have done a series of google searches now for about 45 minutes and cannot find anything that matches to my version of Essbase and the problem I am trying to solve.

Thanks,
Mike

Jake Turrell
Jake Turrell

February 13th, 2012, 11:56 pm #2

What are you trying to accomplish with this attribute? The reason I ask is that there are two "flavors" of attributes in Essbase, and they offer very different functionality:

1) User Defined Attributes (UDA's)
2) Attribute Dimensions

Option #2 is out for you because your version of Essbase is from the Stone Ages. : )

Do you want users to be able to run ad-hoc queries based upon this attribute? Are you trying to base security or a calculation off of the attribute? If you'll give us an idea of the business problem you're trying to solve, we'll be in a better position to point you in the right direction.

- Jake

February 14th, 2012, 12:04 am #3

Here's a thread for Essbase 6.2.1 and attributes:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296/th ... Dimensions

You can load attributes to members using load rules.

Have you looked at the Attrprod load rule? I *think* it's been around since the beginning of attributes.

Did you have a read of this:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17236_01/epm ... imb1060796

Even though it's 11.1.2.1's documentation, as the functionality hasn't significantly altered (I think) since attributes were introduced, the DBAG should be a decent guide.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

P.S. You can always do UDAs but they aren't so useful for reporting. For loading and calculating, I prefer them as they are lighter weight.

Jake Turrell
Jake Turrell

February 14th, 2012, 12:11 am #4

Looks like you're correct. I guess I just didn't start using them until later.

Tim Faitsch
Tim Faitsch

February 14th, 2012, 1:10 am #5

I was in Sunnyvale for the version 6 beta launch probably May or June of 1999. Attributes was the big new feature for that version along with EQD (people were unmerciful on them for that) and @xref.

Alan Hutchins
Alan Hutchins

February 14th, 2012, 8:36 am #6

Hi Everyone,

Easy one I hope.

I want to add a new member attibute and assign it to another member in a more automated way then through the outline editor. We are using an older version of essbase (6.5.7). I can extract the outline to the member I am interested in using the outline extractor. However I wish there was some way of defining the new attribute using the outline editor and then locking and sending or loading the association of the member attribute with the other members in the hierarchy. The new attribute relates to customer type (text like: cash cow, star, money pit etc.) and the member I am relating it to is the customers name and unique # identifier. I have a lot of customers and their customer type in a spread sheet. I would like to be able to load this or vlookup this into a load file or lock and send file if possible.

Can someone direct me to how to do this? I have done a series of google searches now for about 45 minutes and cannot find anything that matches to my version of Essbase and the problem I am trying to solve.

Thanks,
Mike
I tried using attributes in v6.5.1 years ago.

They worked ok, but there was a bug that caused issues when trying to get accurate answers when reporting the data.

In the end I gave up as Hyperion could not come up with a fix (the latest version at that time was 7. something, and I believe it was fixed in those and subsequent versions, but NOT previous ones such as yours - I could be wrong as it was a loooooong time ago).

I don't know if it ever got fixed in that version, so I would test it thoroughly first on a copy before you commit to using it.

February 14th, 2012, 6:18 pm #7

Here's a thread for Essbase 6.2.1 and attributes:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296/th ... Dimensions

You can load attributes to members using load rules.

Have you looked at the Attrprod load rule? I *think* it's been around since the beginning of attributes.

Did you have a read of this:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17236_01/epm ... imb1060796

Even though it's 11.1.2.1's documentation, as the functionality hasn't significantly altered (I think) since attributes were introduced, the DBAG should be a decent guide.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

P.S. You can always do UDAs but they aren't so useful for reporting. For loading and calculating, I prefer them as they are lighter weight.
Hi Cameron and everyone else,

I have made progress with this ancient version of essbase (6.5.7). I am using the 11.1.2.1 documentation you suggested along with just figuring it out on my own as I go along. I now have a rule file set up and a data file which loads the attributes associated with the exisiting dimension. It all looks good in the Data Prep Editor. Now I want to apply this to the actual essbase model.

So yet another simple question, how do I do this? Again it's not in any way obvious in the documentation and I am not an essbase expert or anything so sorry for my newbie questions.

Thanks again

Mike

February 14th, 2012, 8:16 pm #8

It's pretty easy, particularly with a BSO db as you can do it in-memory via EAS.

1) Open up the outline in EAS
2) Go to the Outline menu and select Update Outline
3) Select your data file and load rule
4) Click on OK

You should see your new dimensionality load into the outline. You can try this with the attrprod text file and load rule. Errors will be piped to the dimbuild.err file.

You can also right click on the database node in EAS and select "Load data". Yes, you are loading metadata, not data, but it will work if you have defined your load rule to do a dimension load.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

February 14th, 2012, 8:19 pm #9

Hi Cameron and everyone else,

I have made progress with this ancient version of essbase (6.5.7). I am using the 11.1.2.1 documentation you suggested along with just figuring it out on my own as I go along. I now have a rule file set up and a data file which loads the attributes associated with the exisiting dimension. It all looks good in the Data Prep Editor. Now I want to apply this to the actual essbase model.

So yet another simple question, how do I do this? Again it's not in any way obvious in the documentation and I am not an essbase expert or anything so sorry for my newbie questions.

Thanks again

Mike

At the very end, the video shows how to do the load.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

February 14th, 2012, 8:58 pm #10

It's pretty easy, particularly with a BSO db as you can do it in-memory via EAS.

1) Open up the outline in EAS
2) Go to the Outline menu and select Update Outline
3) Select your data file and load rule
4) Click on OK

You should see your new dimensionality load into the outline. You can try this with the attrprod text file and load rule. Errors will be piped to the dimbuild.err file.

You can also right click on the database node in EAS and select "Load data". Yes, you are loading metadata, not data, but it will work if you have defined your load rule to do a dimension load.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour
Cameron,

You da man. I got it to work, after a little trial and error. Thanks for your tips, I documented everything I did with screen shots so the knowledge is now with me forever!

Mike

Confirmation of reply: