Read-Only Essbase add-in

Read-Only Essbase add-in

April 27th, 2012, 9:00 am #1

Hi all,

I need to create a new user that has read-only access to all data through the essbase add-in. (We have a planning app but use the essbase add-in)

I have created a new user given Essbase server access, access to the view user for the planning app and analytical services. In planning I have given read-only access to all the account dimension as every datapoint will cross the account dimension. Will this work?

When I try and access any data through the add-in I get #No Access

Is there an easy way to stop the lock and send which is all I want to do really?

Thanks
luke

April 27th, 2012, 11:26 am #2

In Planning, unless you provision a user with "Essbase Write Access" or whatever it's now called, ALL planners save the Administrator have read-only access. You do *not* need to give the planner read-only access in Planning (unless of course you want to).

>>When I try and access any data through the add-in I get #No Access
^^^I would bet that if that planner username tried to open the same information in a Planning form he'd get a "Insufficient Privileges to open this form" message.

Try taking one of your good planners and ask him to connect via the add-in (or SmartView -- it doesn't matter). Then find a data point you think he can write to -- again, unless he has that Essbase write provisioning, that planner will not be able to write to Essbase.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

April 27th, 2012, 3:56 pm #3

Can I make the outline read-only also?

April 27th, 2012, 6:40 pm #4

I don't think there is a role that will allow you to view the outline but not edit it in EAS.

Some people use the Outline Extractor to bring outlines into Excel or SQL and view things that way.

A consulting company (I forget who) has/had a utility for their clients that would view the outline. I think it was written in VB6 so it's a bit ancient.
^^^I'm likely wrong on almost all of this, but I'm sure someone knows for certain.

Of course you could always bring it all into DRM and view it there although that does seem to be a bit much for just viewing a dimension. Maybe EPMA would help (still think that whoever could view could edit but I am no EPMA expert)?

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 27th, 2012, 9:14 pm #5

Any Planning user with provisioning can view the outline in read-only mode. Meaning when a planning user logs into EAS, they should only see the applications that are provisioned to them in HSS. THen if they attempt to open an outline via double-click, they'll get a prompt that they do not have permissions to edit the outline. So the planner has to right-click and select "View" to open the outline in read-only mode.

I just confirmed this in EAS with a planning user with a Planner (non-admin) provisioned role.

My apologies if this is not that what the OP was asking.

April 28th, 2012, 3:42 am #6

Dear Anonymous in Witchita,

I just tried to do what you stated -- at least on my 11.1.1.3 VM, when I log in as a planner to EAS I do NOT see *any* outlines.

I'll try tomorrow on 11.1.2.1 -- maybe it's different there?

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

April 28th, 2012, 5:34 pm #7

Fired up the cloud instance (have to write that pesky KScope presentation) and for giggles, created a Planner1 username, provisioned the id with Essbase server access and made the id a Planner in an existing Planning application.

When I log on to EAS with that id, I cannot see *any* applications.

Am I missing a step? What is it?

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

April 28th, 2012, 8:58 pm #8

Have you logged into Planning with the user? Have you created the filters for the user yet?

One (me) would wish when you created and assigned access all the above things would happen however it's still a bit clunky.

Regards,

John A. Booth
http://www.metavero.com

hj
hj

May 1st, 2012, 4:49 pm #9

Hi all,

I need to create a new user that has read-only access to all data through the essbase add-in. (We have a planning app but use the essbase add-in)

I have created a new user given Essbase server access, access to the view user for the planning app and analytical services. In planning I have given read-only access to all the account dimension as every datapoint will cross the account dimension. Will this work?

When I try and access any data through the add-in I get #No Access

Is there an easy way to stop the lock and send which is all I want to do really?

Thanks
luke

In regards to the #noaccess,
A user with security turned on in Planning will not be able to see data at the top of the dimensions with security enabled. Only an admin will be able to pull the top level values.

Typically these are:
-entity
-accounts
-scenario
-version

You could have additional dimensions with security enabled. These need to be taken into consideration.

So, you'll need to see what retrieval they were trying to perform to really get to the bottom of this.

As far at the outline being in read only for a given user, I've had this working in the past.

One easy way to not allow write access is to make a read only group and apply the appropriate access on these 4 dimensions. If you choose the smallest dimension, then assign read only to each member (if you only have 4 versions, then for each of the 4 versions indicate read only).

hj

May 2nd, 2012, 5:14 pm #10

Hi HJ,

Thanks for the reply.

This read-only access is for a third-party company who needs access to all levels of all data to produce financial reports.

In your last point you indicated that if I created a group and applied read-only access to the dimensions with security, does this still mean that the user will be able to see ALL data as you mentioned at the start that only admin can access the top-levels?

I did create a group like this and applied security as a start to all members of the account dimension but every time get the #NoAccess. I could apply to the other dimensions but need to know why it is given me the #NoAccess as I am skeptical it will work.

Any idea how you got the outline to be read-only?

Cheers
Luke

Confirmation of reply: