Planning Text values in BR

Planning Text values in BR

Charl
Charl

August 1st, 2012, 1:34 pm #1

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to access the text value stored against a text account member in Planning in a business rule? And not just the index value stored in Essbase itself? Note this is a PLanning text member, not an Essbase text member with a list, but the freeform text stored by Planning.

August 1st, 2012, 2:14 pm #2

Business rules cannot access the text information.

If you like pain, you might be able to write a java CDF that would query the value out of the relational repository, but I'd suggest you find another way to solve this problem.

Jake Turrell
Jake Turrell

August 1st, 2012, 9:00 pm #3

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to access the text value stored against a text account member in Planning in a business rule? And not just the index value stored in Essbase itself? Note this is a PLanning text member, not an Essbase text member with a list, but the freeform text stored by Planning.
Can you tell us the type of text you're trying to reference, and why? Maybe we can come up with an alternative solution?

Even if you created a CDF to reference the text, I think the free-form nature of a text data type in Planning would cause headaches. What happens when a user misspells something?

- Jake

Charl
Charl

August 2nd, 2012, 6:40 am #4

The use case is the following - it is a workforce planning app, and the client wants to set up a list of increases. Each increase can be applied to a subset of employees, as determined by their band grade. They want to be able to set up the filter to be for example 'P%', which means it should apply to all P bands, or 'PB%' to all bands starting with PB

I was trying the text approach purely because it gave them similar functionality to what they are used to, where they can set up their filter very flexibly, including setting up exclusions the same way (they were on a homegrown SQL based system). Also Band is not a dimension, but a smartlist account, so there isn't a hierarchy I can easily use to filter (i.e. there is no member corresponding to P under which all P bands exist). I did not want to embed the filtering logic in a business rule, but give the users the ability to set up the filters in a web form.

At this stage I am thinking of having another smartlist member with just the main bands in it, so that they can at least filter by main band, but unfortunately it will not have the same flexibility as the SQL based approach they are used to.

Confirmation of reply: