MAX_REQUEST_GRID_SIZE Error

MAX_REQUEST_GRID_SIZE Error

John
John

January 5th, 2017, 4:47 pm #1

We have recently upgraded to 11.1.2.4 from 11.1.2.3. I have an ASO cube which I need to copy Actuals to Forecast on a monthly basis. This is done currently in our .3 environment using Maxl calling a calc script file with out any issues. However, in the .4 environment, every time it runs I get the error "Request grid size is more than allowed limit [5000000]. Increase it using the config setting MAX_REQUEST_GRID_SIZE." I have made a number of adjustments to the grid size setting in the config file, even up to ridiculous sizes and I continue to get this error. As far as I can tell everything appears to be the same at the app level between environments so I don't understand what is causing this.

Here are some stats on the db:

12 dimensions
Scenario - 14 stored members
Version - 18
Department - 687
Years - 23
Accounts - 2269
BU - 30
LifeCycle - 19
Location - 163
Project - 5106
Periods - 31
Groupings (attribute) - 5
Project Type (attribute) - 63

Number of input cells - 3190801
Number of incremental data slices - 1
Number of aggregate views - 0
Number of aggregate cells - 0
Number of incremental aggregate cells - 0
Cost of querying incr. data (ratio to total cost) - 0
Input-level data size (KB) - 61408
Aggregate data size (KB) - 0

Cache hit ratio - .62
Current cache size (KB) - 8192
Current cache size limit (KB) - 1048576
Page reads since last startup - 6
Page size (KB) - 32
Disk space allocated for data (KB) - 122880
Disk space used by data (KB) - 61536

Thanks for any help!

Pete
Pete

January 5th, 2017, 9:06 pm #2

Are you restarting essbase between setting that variable?

Assuming you are, there were some limiters put on ASO cubes - I've hit them in big data copies\data exports and have needed to work around them. I've not seen that error message, but I'm normally working in CDFs so the error messages can be different.

Mike Henderson
Mike Henderson

January 5th, 2017, 9:06 pm #3

We have recently upgraded to 11.1.2.4 from 11.1.2.3. I have an ASO cube which I need to copy Actuals to Forecast on a monthly basis. This is done currently in our .3 environment using Maxl calling a calc script file with out any issues. However, in the .4 environment, every time it runs I get the error "Request grid size is more than allowed limit [5000000]. Increase it using the config setting MAX_REQUEST_GRID_SIZE." I have made a number of adjustments to the grid size setting in the config file, even up to ridiculous sizes and I continue to get this error. As far as I can tell everything appears to be the same at the app level between environments so I don't understand what is causing this.

Here are some stats on the db:

12 dimensions
Scenario - 14 stored members
Version - 18
Department - 687
Years - 23
Accounts - 2269
BU - 30
LifeCycle - 19
Location - 163
Project - 5106
Periods - 31
Groupings (attribute) - 5
Project Type (attribute) - 63

Number of input cells - 3190801
Number of incremental data slices - 1
Number of aggregate views - 0
Number of aggregate cells - 0
Number of incremental aggregate cells - 0
Cost of querying incr. data (ratio to total cost) - 0
Input-level data size (KB) - 61408
Aggregate data size (KB) - 0

Cache hit ratio - .62
Current cache size (KB) - 8192
Current cache size limit (KB) - 1048576
Page reads since last startup - 6
Page size (KB) - 32
Disk space allocated for data (KB) - 122880
Disk space used by data (KB) - 61536

Thanks for any help!
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E57185_01/ESB ... dsize.html

1) Syntax? Please provide a copy of the line you added to the essbase.cfg.
2) Bounce service? Did you restart the OPMN service (assuming its a Windows server)?

John
John

January 6th, 2017, 2:03 pm #4

Yeah, I reviewed the TecRef prior to making the change and I get what then entry is "supposed" to do. It's just that nothing seems to work and I don't understand why I would need it now when I didn't need it in my .3 environment.

This is what is in the config file:

MAX_REQUEST_GRID_SIZE MARS MARS 100000000

I have tried changing it from 5M to 10M to 50M to 100M to 100B! Each time I changed it I restarted the OPMN service and the new size was shown in the error message.

Mike Henderson
Mike Henderson

January 6th, 2017, 2:21 pm #5

Oracle changed the way governors work in 11.1.2.4. Certain stuff was deprecated and this was added. I know this setting works in our 11.1.2.4 environment (but our patching lags Oracle's current PSU by several months).

Was your outline copied from 11.1.2.3 or rebuilt from scratch? Our big ASO cubes are completely rebuilt by Essbase Studio jobs.

Other than that, I'd point you to Oracle support (ugh) or suggest another mechanism such as report script or MDX export to file and reload.

John
John

January 6th, 2017, 3:21 pm #6

It's an EPMA managed application, so the shared dimensions and application definitions where migrated from the .3 environment via LCM and deployed.

I was afraid of the support answer. lol!

Thanks though.

Confirmation of reply: