Is Smartview drill exponentially slow vs. classic addin?

Is Smartview drill exponentially slow vs. classic addin?

Rob Vicker
Rob Vicker

June 15th, 2012, 2:40 am #1

I have an ASO cube that has 11 dimensions. I have an excel grid with 36 columns that I am trying to drill to the bottom of four dimensions with suppression on is Smart View (users want to be able to find all new members added to the dimensions since last month).

Using the classic add-in it is extremely fast (.71 seconds, 3.61 seconds, 11.27 seconds, 35.65 seconds).

Using smartview the first drill is ok at about 7 seconds but it gets exponentially slower from there. The second drill takes a few minutes and the third churns for about 10 minutes and then the aps weblogic app runs out of the 6 Gig of memory that has been allocated to it (11.1.2.1.102 64-bit OS) and crashes.

So am I doing something wrong or is Smartview just that slow? I look in the Essbase app log and the retrieve completes in a matter of seconds but then it takes minutes to render in excel via aps (and then crashes).

Are the only options for this to either use the classic add-in or go to some other product like Dodeca?

June 15th, 2012, 3:24 pm #2

I will preface all of this with I am a big fan of Dodeca. But everyone who reads this board/knows me probably knew that already. :)

With that semi-disclosure out of the way, I'm working on a Dodeca application right now and the speed is kind of ridiculous in a nice way.

I've played with drilldowns in Smart View, the Classic add-in, and Dodeca, and Dodeca is even faster than the add-in (which was pretty much my gold standard for reporting performance).

Interestingly, Smart View blows by the add-in in terms of numbers of rows that can be selected (the add-in still and will, I think, always have a limit of 65,536 rows) but at least on my not-installed-by-someone-who-can-even-spell-infrastructure (me, in other words) serverette, Smart View seems to go into vapor lock when the number of rows gets really big. Dodeca just chugs through and PDQ. FWIW, it looks like it's actually *Excel* that is the bottleneck (retrieve from Essbase is done, APS isn't registering much activity in Task Manager, Excel is chewing up resources) when the retrieve seems to go into Rip Van Winkle mode.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Rob Vicker
Rob Vicker

June 15th, 2012, 3:59 pm #3

I have worked some with Dodeca as well and agree it is awesome! I am trying to talk my client into that...

But, I agree with you on the RVW of excel. I can drill to bottom of two dimensions successfully albiet slowly but the third I get the "Smartview concurrent requests" error and when I check weblogic it has eaten through all 6GB allocated to the APS JVM and then excel goes into lala land.

June 16th, 2012, 6:51 pm #4

so I might imagine migrating spreadsheet add-in toward Smart View in about 10 years, if only stabilized by that time...

We have around 200 users, half of them are essbase addicts, this mainly because of the add-in simplicity & stability, it would then pure suicide to replace it for something unstable.

June 18th, 2012, 12:35 am #5

I have an ASO cube that has 11 dimensions. I have an excel grid with 36 columns that I am trying to drill to the bottom of four dimensions with suppression on is Smart View (users want to be able to find all new members added to the dimensions since last month).

Using the classic add-in it is extremely fast (.71 seconds, 3.61 seconds, 11.27 seconds, 35.65 seconds).

Using smartview the first drill is ok at about 7 seconds but it gets exponentially slower from there. The second drill takes a few minutes and the third churns for about 10 minutes and then the aps weblogic app runs out of the 6 Gig of memory that has been allocated to it (11.1.2.1.102 64-bit OS) and crashes.

So am I doing something wrong or is Smartview just that slow? I look in the Essbase app log and the retrieve completes in a matter of seconds but then it takes minutes to render in excel via aps (and then crashes).

Are the only options for this to either use the classic add-in or go to some other product like Dodeca?
Please log an SR on this so we can actually diagnose this issue. I have seen many times that this can be simply related to options set on the SV client or SV client version. The product is absolutely stable and has many features that make it much better than the classic add-in but with out details and proper diagnosis it is hard to make a judgment call.

If you log an SR send me the SR number and I will make sure it gets the attention it deserves.

Thanks,

Matt

Rob Vicker
Rob Vicker

June 18th, 2012, 1:29 pm #6

Will do on the SR...Thanks (EOM)

June 18th, 2012, 3:12 pm #7

We've been using Dodeca for the last 5 years. We're very happy with the product. End users to Execs, use it with ease. Our global reporting packages all use Dodeca. Dodeca is cost effective, simple to use, and has a comprehensive scripting layer for customization. The support is second to none. Tim and his team are always reaching for new heights of perfection for the product. Users really love how it handles hybrid analysis.

It really should be the gold standard in any Essbase shop..

pieeater
pieeater

June 18th, 2012, 6:19 pm #8

I will preface all of this with I am a big fan of Dodeca. But everyone who reads this board/knows me probably knew that already. :)

With that semi-disclosure out of the way, I'm working on a Dodeca application right now and the speed is kind of ridiculous in a nice way.

I've played with drilldowns in Smart View, the Classic add-in, and Dodeca, and Dodeca is even faster than the add-in (which was pretty much my gold standard for reporting performance).

Interestingly, Smart View blows by the add-in in terms of numbers of rows that can be selected (the add-in still and will, I think, always have a limit of 65,536 rows) but at least on my not-installed-by-someone-who-can-even-spell-infrastructure (me, in other words) serverette, Smart View seems to go into vapor lock when the number of rows gets really big. Dodeca just chugs through and PDQ. FWIW, it looks like it's actually *Excel* that is the bottleneck (retrieve from Essbase is done, APS isn't registering much activity in Task Manager, Excel is chewing up resources) when the retrieve seems to go into Rip Van Winkle mode.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

I've never used Dodeca but it sounds interesting. I wonder if there are any distributors in the UK

GlennS
GlennS

June 18th, 2012, 6:31 pm #9

We've been using Dodeca for the last 5 years. We're very happy with the product. End users to Execs, use it with ease. Our global reporting packages all use Dodeca. Dodeca is cost effective, simple to use, and has a comprehensive scripting layer for customization. The support is second to none. Tim and his team are always reaching for new heights of perfection for the product. Users really love how it handles hybrid analysis.

It really should be the gold standard in any Essbase shop..
Interestingly enough the creator of Tim Tow has on his blog, a reason for potentially slow Smart View performance and how to resolve it. It has to do with making sure Use excel formatting is set. For complete info look at http://timtows-hyperion-blog.blogspot.c ... e-tip.html

Tim Tow
Tim Tow

June 20th, 2012, 4:34 pm #10

There are a couple of settings that can affect performance in the new Smart View. First, the 'Use Excel Formatting' option must be set to True (or checked) for the best performance. This option is similar in functionality to 'Use Styles' in the classic add-in *except* it applies styles by default. You can easily find yourself waiting a *significantly* longer time if you don't turn 'turn off' this auto formatting by selecting to 'Use Excel Formatting'.

Second, the 'Repeat Member Labels' setting from the Excel add-in has been changed to a 'Suppress Repeated Members'. This option, which is False (or unchecked) by default, causes the all member cells in *row orientation* to be filled with member names. This setting is opposite the behavior of the classic add-in and will cause the xml to be much larger if you have a large retrieve.

All of this being said, Rob is also seeing an issue with memory on the APS server and I don't believe either of these settings should cause a significant performance or memory issue on the server side; I would expect to see this issue on the client only. The only thing I could think of that may cause an issue from the client perspective may be the Microsoft XML version that is installed on the client. In other words, I would certainly file an SR on this.

Tim Tow
Oracle ACE Director
Applied OLAP, Inc

Confirmation of reply: