Hybrid Essbase

Hybrid Essbase

josh
josh

November 23rd, 2015, 8:29 pm #1

Hello All,
Can we use EPMA to deploy Hybrid Essbase applications? Versions could be 11.1.2.3.500, 11.1.2.4.

Thanks,
Josh

Cameron Lackpour
Cameron Lackpour

November 23rd, 2015, 8:43 pm #2

It's just a BSO database with dynamic sparse dimensions as well as an entry in the Essbase.cfg file.

So, given that it's EPMA, it's a 100% crap shoot as to whether it works or not.

:)

Seriously, I'll bet it does bar some insane bug on EPMA's part.

Why not create Sample.Basic as Hybrid, then convert it to EPMA, then make a change? It should take all of 15 minutes to see what happens.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

josh
josh

November 23rd, 2015, 8:58 pm #3

I would have loved to test it out but
A) I dont have an environment to test it and
B) I dont have access to restart essbase services on client's box.

so thought of asking the community to see if they had done something like that.

I am pretty confident that it would work but again nothing is for certain till you have tried it out.

Thanks,
Josh

November 24th, 2015, 7:38 am #4

Hello All,
Can we use EPMA to deploy Hybrid Essbase applications? Versions could be 11.1.2.3.500, 11.1.2.4.

Thanks,
Josh
Before migrating to the Hybrid - just check this optimisation technics

1) In one of large sparce dimension set all parents member to the Dynamic Calc except top of hierachy and (maybe) most used
2) To calculate this dimension use AGG command ( for creating blocks on parent if child dynamics)

It's cheap decision and very useful

Cameron Lackpour
Cameron Lackpour

November 24th, 2015, 12:41 pm #5

ER,

So you're saying that it's *good* to have an AGG with a huge (well, large) number of dynamic BSO aggregations called by AGG?

Do those intermediate subtotals fire in Hybrid using the ASO query processor and then store numbers at the top?

I ask this because I had a database that really didn't work very well in Hybrid. I made level 1 stored and then did an AGG -- the aggregation was really, really, really fast. Query performance after that was really, really, really fast as well.

Hmm, I think I just answered my own question -- if it's fast to do it at level 1 and set the rest to dynamic, it must be true the other way as well. And I'll bet it's even faster because the number of intersections/blocks are way smaller.

I'll have to go try that out but I'll bet that's the answer.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Josh
Josh

November 24th, 2015, 2:33 pm #6

The reason I wanted to test out the Hybrid solution was to check performance of the app. I have around 14 dims in the app, 7 aggregating dimensions and the largest dim with 30K stored members.

I will try making parents of small dimension as DC and then just agg the large dimension. This will definitely cut down agg time but may increase retrieval times.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Josh

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 24th, 2015, 5:22 pm #7

i mention about dcalc on the middle level
top member and level 0 must be stored

December 5th, 2015, 5:43 pm #8

It's just a BSO database with dynamic sparse dimensions as well as an entry in the Essbase.cfg file.

So, given that it's EPMA, it's a 100% crap shoot as to whether it works or not.

:)

Seriously, I'll bet it does bar some insane bug on EPMA's part.

Why not create Sample.Basic as Hybrid, then convert it to EPMA, then make a change? It should take all of 15 minutes to see what happens.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour
<<Seriously, I'll bet it does bar some insane bug on EPMA's part.>>

I have tried it from EPMA with a Planning app I had created in 11.1.2.3.500 using Exalytics.

App was working fine from EPMA before hybrid, including metadata changes/adds/removes into the Essbase outline.

I enabled Hybrid.

After that, I found that the app would deploy and indicate "Success" from EPMA, however...I noticed that my Essbase outline was no longer changing. It was not reflecting new or deleted metadata. I even deleted and recreated the app anew with same results consistently.

Unfortunately, I did not have access to the UNIX folders to see anything there, and due to where I was in my project, I did not have time to run to ground, and in particular to start an SR.

Note that this was a PLANNING app and EPMA won't let you add an ASO Plan Type either. But since the switch flick to Hybrid is in the .cfg I though EPMA might not be aware of this. It could have been something else besides hybrid, but watch for this type of occurrence. If EPMA/Planning/Hybrid can't coexist, you could enable this and find yourself in a gotcha if you don't test for metadata updates like I did.

I will be trying again in the upcoming weeks and filing an SR if same occurs.

December 6th, 2015, 3:50 am #9

Have you tried a manual refresh from Planning in Workspace to Essbase.

I have seen occasions where an EPMA deployment's job console says it was successful, outline changes appear in Planning web, but deployment to Essbase simply does not happen. A silent failure. I can usually un-clog the pipe by manually refreshing from Planning in Workspace. Once this is done, future deployments usually work just fine.

December 6th, 2015, 8:06 am #10

for my POV - Exalytic does'not work with Epma

Becouse Epma required Windows server

Did you do custom under classic Exa decision ?

Confirmation of reply: