How can I read the MDX generated by Planning?

How can I read the MDX generated by Planning?

September 14th, 2011, 6:28 pm #1

Is this logged somewhere?

I have a webform that returns no data. But when I query the same intersection in Excel, I see data.

I'm pretty sure I'm looking at the same intersection because I locked-and-sent the value into a level 0 member and verified the number could be viewed in the webform.

I then queried the parent of the lev0 member in Excel and saw the value too. The parent is dynamic calc.

When I queried the parent using the webform, I could not find the value.

Cameron Lackpour
Cameron Lackpour

September 14th, 2011, 6:50 pm #2

Finding stuff like this out is just one reason why I like Network54 so much.

Is this an implied share by any chance? I've seen some really weird things with Planning and implied shares, particularly in dynamic parents -- to get the child value to send, I ended up having to make the parent a member formula that equaled the child. Not exactly your error, but it might be related.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

September 14th, 2011, 7:08 pm #3

It's not an Implied Share issue. There are multiple, consolidating children. Also, the parent is dynamic calc. I'm also replicating the issue across multiple data points.

Regarding MDX: I can see MDXReport being fired on the Essbase application log whenever I open webform.

Ben White
Ben White

September 14th, 2011, 7:34 pm #4

Do you have "suppress missing blocks" turned on and does it make any difference if you turn it off? Last time I checked, it only uses MDX when suppress missing blocks is enabled but I haven't checked for a few releases.

September 14th, 2011, 8:12 pm #5

You da man.

I do have Suppress Missing Blocks and Suppress Missing Data enabled.

When I disabled Suppress Missing Blocks, the numbers appeared. So, if I understand this correctly, the Dynamic Calc block is considered a "missing" block by the MDX query because it's not real, is that correct?

I should also disclose that we recently installed an Essbase patch that Oracle said would improve our MDX queries. This was in relation to a separate OBIEE project.

(But going back to the original question: How can I find/view those MDX queries?)

Ben White
Ben White

September 14th, 2011, 8:48 pm #6

No YOU da man!

Yeah, that would make sense - if Suppress Missing Blocks is enabled, you'll only get whatever is in the "expanded block", which will include dense Dynamic Calcs, but never sparse.

I was curious how Suppress Missing Block worked a while back too, so I used Wireshark to sniff out the traffic between the Planning and Essbase servers. It's there in cleartext if you look hard enough, but be prepared for some undocumented MDX...

Ben White
Ben White

September 14th, 2011, 8:50 pm #7

Oh yeah: I believe there might also be an ESSBASE.CFG setting that dumps MDX queries to the Essbase log, but I might have dreamed it because I can't find any sign of it now. If anyone remembers, please follow up!

GlennS
GlennS

September 14th, 2011, 9:56 pm #8

If it is there it is an undocumented cfg setting. We have see a lot of those in the past

Ben White
Ben White

September 14th, 2011, 10:12 pm #9

It was definitely undocumented, whatever it was.

Google turned up these - not Planning, but it might be what I was (mistakenly) thinking of:
http://www.orahyplabs.com/2010/11/how-t ... ed-by.html

September 14th, 2011, 11:41 pm #10

Well, I've opened a low severity SR with Oracle to see if they know. I'll update this thread if they do.

Confirmation of reply: