Essbase data Loaded/Calculated on parent level BSO vs ASO

Essbase data Loaded/Calculated on parent level BSO vs ASO

February 7th, 2012, 3:13 am #1

Dear Expert,

I need some opinion, first of all, i have a big sales data (daily by store by product),
which makes me really need to use ASO for fast aggregation.
But in some case there's account that will be wrong if i get the aggregated result, since if i use BSO i can load the value to the parent level or do calculation. I've heard about partitioning between BSO and ASO but i haven't get a clear idea about how this apply to my issue, did anybody ever experience this issue and how you solve this?

Regards,

Feri

February 7th, 2012, 7:17 am #2

You can refer to the standardized guide for creating partitioned ASO.
Also in the following link, you can find a similar example.

http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technet ... e-1112.htm

Olivia

DanP
DanP

February 7th, 2012, 3:06 pm #3

Dear Expert,

I need some opinion, first of all, i have a big sales data (daily by store by product),
which makes me really need to use ASO for fast aggregation.
But in some case there's account that will be wrong if i get the aggregated result, since if i use BSO i can load the value to the parent level or do calculation. I've heard about partitioning between BSO and ASO but i haven't get a clear idea about how this apply to my issue, did anybody ever experience this issue and how you solve this?

Regards,

Feri
First if your ASO cube is particularly large you may not be able to create a BSO Transparent partition.

Secondly if your problem is that daily data does not exist for some data you could try loading only one day per month or using TBLast or its mdx equivalents

Why not describe the problem a bit more?

February 8th, 2012, 5:27 am #4

@Olivia, thanks the link is helpful

@DanP,

we have a product structure like: division->Department->Category->SKU,
when we load Net Sales measure to ASO, it's ok becasue the data is by SKU and the result is correct when aggregated up to division level.
But another case, i need to load customer receipt measure that we need to load on department level.
have any idea?

Many thanks,
Feri

Alan Hutchins
Alan Hutchins

February 8th, 2012, 8:13 am #5

In BSO I always load at level 0, in order to avoid any issues with calculation or erroneously overwriting data. In addition it meant that I could always export at level 0 - which had a number of benefits for me.

So in a situation as you described, I would create a CustReceipt category, and a dummy SKU, and load to that member.

Not sure if the same principle applies to ASO.

February 9th, 2012, 10:25 am #6

Thank you Alan,

I will use your idea and create a dummy SKU.

Regards,

Feri

Confirmation of reply: