Essbase Backup Scripts

Essbase Backup Scripts

February 11th, 2011, 6:22 am #1

Hi,

I am very new to Scripting and have been given a task to take Essbase incremental backup and full backup.

Wanna know if there are any scripts that I could use for taking these backup.

Pls help!

Regards,
Archana.

February 11th, 2011, 2:05 pm #2

1) Stop Essbase, and back up the file system.
2) Put Essbase in Archive Mode, back up the file system, end Archive Mode.
3) Export the database, and back up the outline and export, as well as calcs, rules, etc.

Maxl is the scripting language for Essbase, the documentation in the Technical Reference is pretty good, and includes examples.

I use option 1 on Sunday mornings for our full server backups (stopping the entire Hyperion environment), and option 2 every evening, except that my script zips the individual Essbase application folders and keeps a rolling 10 versions on disk.

February 14th, 2011, 11:25 am #3

For ASO dbs, at least.

Yes, the export, defrag, etc., etc., is still valuable for BSO apps but completely meaningless for ASO. After you go through the backup docs you'll essentially find that they say backup the file system for ASO databases.

I do still like the rolling seven days of objects.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

GlennS
GlennS

February 15th, 2011, 1:06 am #4

Cameron,
You are not memorizing my blog like you should. There is an article that says exporting to defrag an ASO cube can be valuable. http://glennschwartzbergs-essbase-blog. ... cubes.html

February 15th, 2011, 3:48 am #5

Glenn,

It's true, I do worship the Essbase ground you walk on, and I forgot that one.

Out of curiosity, did the halving of the size of the database result in doubled performance? I would guess that there has to be some correlation between smaller disk size and performance. Or maybe not?

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

TimG
TimG

February 15th, 2011, 2:58 pm #6

The disk space saving is obviously worthwhile anyway, but I'm also really interested to know re performance.

GlennS
GlennS

February 16th, 2011, 8:14 pm #7

Since this is ASO, there is no calc performance improvement, but the load times did improve. We were doing data loading to the main DB not slices so the time to merge files was faster.

Arindam Roy
Arindam Roy

September 23rd, 2011, 10:47 am #8

Glenn,

It's true, I do worship the Essbase ground you walk on, and I forgot that one.

Out of curiosity, did the halving of the size of the database result in doubled performance? I would guess that there has to be some correlation between smaller disk size and performance. Or maybe not?

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour
Yes - retrieval performance does improve drastically after defrag of ASO Cubes.

Confirmation of reply: