Essbase app takes too long to start

Essbase app takes too long to start

June 1st, 2012, 9:13 pm #1

Hi All,

I have been an issue with an Essbase application, because it takes more than 3 minutes to start. I've already tried in another environment (Ex.: development) and it works well.

Could someone help me on that issue ?

Thanks in advance

Alvaro Soares

June 2nd, 2012, 1:34 pm #2

So here is where you now have to pick apart the differences between your "fast" and your "slow" machine at every level of the infrastructure and configuration:
Server (CPU/Memory/...)
Disk Subsystem (Throughput/HBAs/# of Drive/...)
OS (Versions/Patches/...)
Software (Versions/Patches/...)
Configuration Settings (OS/Essbase)
Outline(s) and Data
System Load (Is one system empty and other is utilized...)

Additionally I would think app startup would be a minor thing in the scheme of things. Most people are more concerned about speed of retrieves and calculations as once an app is started it will stay started and if you are performing cold backups with a shutdown process you could start the relevant apps directly after that in batch.

Regards,

John A. Booth
http://www.metavero.com

Sean V
Sean V

June 4th, 2012, 11:22 am #3

Hi All,

I have been an issue with an Essbase application, because it takes more than 3 minutes to start. I've already tried in another environment (Ex.: development) and it works well.

Thanks in advance

Alvaro Soares
is it an ASO cube?

June 4th, 2012, 2:38 pm #4

Hi Sean,

Yes, it is an ASO cube. I've already tried in another environment (Eg.: dev) and it works well and starts fast, but at QA environment it takes too long. I've already looked at essbase.cfg from both environment and they are the same.

Thanks.

Alvaro

Sean V
Sean V

June 4th, 2012, 2:46 pm #5

Compare the .OTL file size between the 2 apps.

In 9x versions (and I don't know if it still exists in 11x versions) there is an issue where the file OTL file size can keep on increasing in size if you are rebuilding/reloading/adding data/etc. I have seen this file size, as it grows, start to impact outline loading time.

June 4th, 2012, 3:10 pm #6

Hi Sean,

I don't believe it's related to .otl file because i've create a new app at QA environment and got the same problem, and this new app it's completely empty.

Thanks,

Alvaro Soares

Sean V
Sean V

June 4th, 2012, 5:56 pm #7

Just to make sure, how did you create the "new" app? By copying the old one?

June 4th, 2012, 6:31 pm #8

Hi Sean,

Well, in order to realize what was happening, the new one was created by using .otl file from an old one app (that was working well in dev environment), and after that I did the same steps with QA environment (copy the .otl file from the app in dev environment to the new app).

Thanks,
Alvaro Soares

Ryan
Ryan

June 4th, 2012, 7:12 pm #9

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Alvaro Soares
Hello,

When you load the ASO cube in both places, is the "memory footprint" the same. If the memory footprint is different, look at your Essbase.cfg settings and see if they are equivalent.

certain Essbase.cfg settings (i don't remember what off the top of my head) will change the memory footprint of an ASO app (and thus how long it takes to start up).

Ryan

June 4th, 2012, 7:18 pm #10

Hy Ryan,

The essbase.cfg file is the same in both environment. That was the first thing I checked out there.

Thanks,
Alvaro

Confirmation of reply: