Drill-Through Provider Options

Drill-Through Provider Options

Joe Aultman
Joe Aultman

April 8th, 2011, 10:21 pm #1

Hi board!

I was talking to Cameron about this, and he said I should just post it. So I am. What better way to return to the board after a few months off than to come asking questions? See, a question already.

I have done a proof-of-concept for GL drill-through for some users that are spending a lot of time researching Essbase data using a separate GL access tool. I have a set up where they can drill directly from the Essbase data cell like they are supposed to. The manager is happy with the POC and wants to proceed.

My architecture group, however, is interested in a survey of competitive solutions to the one I have proofed out. Essentially, they want me to justify the selection of the POC tool as the tool for final implementation. The tool I used (to end the suspense) is Dodeca.

I would like to do proper diligence on the question, but I unfortunately am not familiar with other third-party products even to do competitive analysis against them.

Does anyone have feedback on the lines of Cost/Effort/Benefit for what my options would be to provide drill-through another way? Such as this?

Essbase Studio
--------------
Cost - none (already licensed)
Effort - high (multiple reasons - posible implementation of EPMA, design & build star schema, etc.)
Benefit - drill-through to GL, centralized metadata management

Dodeca
------
Cost - moderate to low
Effort - low to achieve primary benefit, more for additional benefits
Benefit - drill-through to pretty much anywhere, simple deployment, multi-retrieve Excel based reports (centralized, formatted etc.)

Can someone speak to A3? Their website seems to say they are still in active development, the newest version supports drill-through, and I saw Zoltan posted here recently, which was an unexpected surprise.

How would _you_ provide drill-through in a smallish (< 100 users) Classic Planning shop with a few Essbase-only cubes that are also drill-through candidates?

Thanks for you consideration,

-- Joe

GlennS
GlennS

April 9th, 2011, 3:42 pm #2

Joe,
You know my feeling about Dodeca. At a cicent, we did a POC using Dodeca, they had other vendors try to replicate the functionality. Microstragety, Cognos and Oracle (OBIEE) could not replicate it. The one we didn't try is Arcplan. It might be able to do it, but I think the learning curve is greater that Dodeca.

April 11th, 2011, 2:45 pm #3

Why dont use EIS?
IS there some reason for not using EIS?

What about the features from Dodeca over EIS?

April 11th, 2011, 3:50 pm #4

Seriously, Joe referred to Studio, so if he wanted to go the build-a-data-mart-then-a-cube approach, he'd do that. EIS is now a deprecated product although there are certainly lots of examples of it out in the field.

Re Arcplan -- I haven't seen it in years (like over 10). Maybe it can do client-based drill through as well as Dodeca? I'd be pretty surprised given its all things to all men data source mentality, but perhaps someone who's really used it will weigh in.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Joe Aultman
Joe Aultman

April 11th, 2011, 3:55 pm #5

Why dont use EIS?
IS there some reason for not using EIS?

What about the features from Dodeca over EIS?
I think EIS would not be a good choice to roll into an existing, well-working Planning and Essbase implementation. Essbase Studio is a reasonable candidate to consider, I believe, but my impression is that EIS is already the way of the past. Since I believe the work effort required to implement a solution with EIS would be roughly equivalent to that required for Studio, I have therefore rejected EIS as a candidate.

I allude to my impressions of solving this problem with Studio in my previous post. I'd welcome any feedback by the rest of you in the community about those impressions or the ones about EIS I express herein.

Or A3, if anyone has something to say about it.

-- Joe

Aleck
Aleck

April 11th, 2011, 5:40 pm #6

Hi board!

I was talking to Cameron about this, and he said I should just post it. So I am. What better way to return to the board after a few months off than to come asking questions? See, a question already.

I have done a proof-of-concept for GL drill-through for some users that are spending a lot of time researching Essbase data using a separate GL access tool. I have a set up where they can drill directly from the Essbase data cell like they are supposed to. The manager is happy with the POC and wants to proceed.

My architecture group, however, is interested in a survey of competitive solutions to the one I have proofed out. Essentially, they want me to justify the selection of the POC tool as the tool for final implementation. The tool I used (to end the suspense) is Dodeca.

I would like to do proper diligence on the question, but I unfortunately am not familiar with other third-party products even to do competitive analysis against them.

Does anyone have feedback on the lines of Cost/Effort/Benefit for what my options would be to provide drill-through another way? Such as this?

Essbase Studio
--------------
Effort - high (multiple reasons - posible implementation of EPMA, design & build star schema, etc.)

Dodeca
------
Cost - moderate to low
Benefit - drill-through to pretty much anywhere, simple deployment, multi-retrieve Excel based reports (centralized, formatted etc.)

Can someone speak to A3? Their website seems to say they are still in active development, the newest version supports drill-through, and I saw Zoltan posted here recently, which was an unexpected surprise.

How would _you_ provide drill-through in a smallish (< 100 users) Classic Planning shop with a few Essbase-only cubes that are also drill-through candidates?

-- Joe
Don't think you actually go against the source; instead you are going against the source that was loaded via FDM. So, if you load a flat file, then the drill back would be to a flat file. They might have updated it though where you can too directly to the GL.

Not sure the cost, it's Oracle's year end so you might be able to work a deal!

My 2 cents will cost you a beer at Taco Mac, just let me know when you're ready to pay up!

Joe Aultman
Joe Aultman

April 11th, 2011, 6:13 pm #7

Cameron and I discussed FDM before I posted, and I think the conclusion was again the fact that the solution only gains us drill-through to the one back end database, and only through Planning. The POC has already implemented drill-through to GL from a Planning cube and drill-through to labor data from a labor reporting Essbase-only cube. With about a week of total effort.

Still, for the right price and effort level, I think FDM is a viable candidate. Do you know if FDM is compatible with Great Plains out of the box, or am I back in the business of building a data mart?

-- Joe

P.S. I'll buy you any beer at Taco Mac that your 2 cents will command.

Sleviten
Sleviten

April 11th, 2011, 7:37 pm #8

Hi board!

Essbase Studio
--------------

Dodeca
------
Cost - moderate to low

-- Joe
We use Dodeca. It's seemless, very transparent to the end user, and easy to set up.

We use it against multiple ledgers, and it is very fast to retrieve data

April 11th, 2011, 8:12 pm #9

Hi board!

Essbase Studio
--------------

Dodeca
------
Cost - moderate to low

-- Joe
"My architecture group, however, is interested in a survey of competitive solutions to the one I have proofed out. Essentially, they want me to justify the selection of the POC tool as the tool for final implementation."

There's always "that guy". The one who sits there and says go spend a few thousand dollars in man hours to prove to me we can't save a couple hundred bucks on this deal. I swear our [collective "our" as in human beings] ingenuity is only surpassed by "our" stupidity. Sounds like you built a kick *** solution, so smack "him" in the head and move on to more productive things...

rant over.....

Joe Aultman
Joe Aultman

April 12th, 2011, 5:38 pm #10

Thanks, Gary. Your straightforward manner would be a welcome presence here. Ever thought of moving to Atlanta?

-- Joe

Confirmation of reply: