Does Hybrid BSO option require a full use Essbase License

Does Hybrid BSO option require a full use Essbase License

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 15th, 2015, 1:58 pm #1

We have planning plus license and want to see if we can Hybrid for our planning cubes. Do we need a full use Essbase for this feature? I hope not!

TimG
TimG

April 15th, 2015, 2:20 pm #2

I have an email from someone in the Essbase product team from January this year stating that "Yes, Hybrid in Planning will require full use Essbase."

That said, since I've also heard Planning product team people talk publicly about how Hybrid will be used in Planning, requiring additional licensing is a little surprising.

I would follow up via your Oracle rep to get an official statement (or at least, plausible deniability if they say "go for it"). :-)

Cameron Lackpour
Cameron Lackpour

April 15th, 2015, 5:17 pm #3

You *will* need a full use Essbase or Planning (whatever it's called) license.

Hybrid is being licensed the same way ASO is within Planning.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 15th, 2015, 6:07 pm #4

Thank You (EOM)

April 15th, 2015, 6:49 pm #5

You *will* need a full use Essbase or Planning (whatever it's called) license.

Hybrid is being licensed the same way ASO is within Planning.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour
>You *will* need a full use Essbase or Planning (whatever it's called) license.

Please clarify... I need some Licensing 101 schooling.

I thought there are "Planning Only" licenses and "Full Essbase" licenses. Most customers have both and others have either license individually.

Customers with just the Planning Only license are NOT allowed to create custom Essbase cubes. Only Planning-related cubes are allowed in Essbase.

For customers with just a Full Essbase license, it is okay to create any custom cubes in Essbase. No Planning apps allowed. FR, EPMA and Calc Manager are a la carte.

My expectation would be that the hybrid Planning features would be covered by a Planning Only license, correct? The behind-the-scenes hybrid is included. And customers who upgrade from prior versions would be able to make use of the new features without renegotiating their license.

So to use both Planning and some custom Essbase cubes, you would require both Planning and Full Essbase. I believe some customers liberally define "Planning-related cubes" to include ASO reporting cubes that are directly cloned from Planning outlines even though they are not directly updated from the Planning repository. So even though they do not have a Full Essbase license, they have a cube that is not created by Planning. EPMA shared libraries really blur the lines. This seems a bit hazy / dicey to me.

TimG
TimG

April 15th, 2015, 7:07 pm #6

"My expectation would be that the hybrid Planning features would be covered by a Planning Only license, correct? The behind-the-scenes hybrid is included."

Unfortunately, this is not the impression I was given (and that's also how I read Cameron's post). It's also not the case with using an ASO Plan Type in Planning (i.e. a 'regular' Planning license doesn't cover that), so there is precedent.

I think spun-off "Planning-related cubes" are *very* dubious.

TimG
TimG

April 15th, 2015, 7:26 pm #7

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E12825_01/epm ... ensing.pdf

The above doc was updated for 11.1.2.4.

The "Hyperion Planning Plus" license notes say:

--Essbase Plus cannot be used to create Essbase cubes that do not contain data used by the Hyperion Planning Plus application.
--The Aggregate Storage Option component of Essbase Plus may not be used.

Cameron Lackpour
Cameron Lackpour

April 15th, 2015, 7:29 pm #8

"My expectation would be that the hybrid Planning features would be covered by a Planning Only license, correct? The behind-the-scenes hybrid is included."

Unfortunately, this is not the impression I was given (and that's also how I read Cameron's post). It's also not the case with using an ASO Plan Type in Planning (i.e. a 'regular' Planning license doesn't cover that), so there is precedent.

I think spun-off "Planning-related cubes" are *very* dubious.
I don't work for Oracle Licencing. Take everything I write below with a grain of salt. Having said that, I've had some discussions with Oracle Product Management and I've read through the price list -- I believe what I write below to be accurate. For the real answer, customers should read their contracts.

With that proviso, away we go.

>>My expectation would be that the hybrid Planning features would be covered by a Planning Only license, correct? The behind-the-scenes hybrid is included. And customers who upgrade from prior versions would be able to make use of the new features without renegotiating their license.
^^^This is incorrect. Customers must move beyond basic Planning if that is their licence. As Tim noted, that is the way it is with ASO Planning.

>>So to use both Planning and some custom Essbase cubes, you would require both Planning and Full Essbase. I believe some customers liberally define "Planning-related cubes" to include ASO reporting cubes that are directly cloned from Planning outlines even though they are not directly updated from the Planning repository.
^^^Those customers, unless they have moved beyond basic Planning (again, I cannot remember its name as it changes all the time, but it is the cheapest option), are in violation of their licence. ASO reporting cubes derived from whatever source are not covered by that most basic of licences. There are no locks on the technology, only legal compliance with a contract.

>>So even though they do not have a Full Essbase license, they have a cube that is not created by Planning. EPMA shared libraries really blur the lines. This seems a bit hazy / dicey to me.
^^^I don't understand why the tool a database is created in would have any bearing on licencing. If an ASO database was built with Studio or EAS or MaxL or EPMA, and the customer was not licenced to use ASO, the violation of the contract is the same. The same is true for Hybrid.

>>I think spun-off "Planning-related cubes" are *very* dubious.
^^^I completely agree.

Again, if you are in doubt about your licence, check your firm's contract and look at the EPM pricing guide which lists all of the technologies a given product sku licences. This stuff isn't hard to determine and it is, in my opinion, every consultant's duty to at least ask the customer to review what he is legally allowed to use. With luck, they will have a full licence that allows whatever bit of brilliance you come up with.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

TimG
TimG

April 15th, 2015, 8:47 pm #9

"There are no locks on the technology, only legal compliance with a contract."

I know that it's not the only piece of software to work this way, but it's a bit tough on developers.

You're in IT at a customer, not a dedicated Oracle EPM nerd who reads licensing docs for fun, but an inquisitive / proactive type. It's easy to imagine discovering the ASO Plan type and putting it to use. Completely oblivious to the fact that checking some little check box, which Oracle deliberately wave under your nose in the Planning interface, is actually a violation of some contract your CIO-before-last signed ten years ago...

The license file alternative to the honor system was not much fun either, I admit.

Cameron Lackpour
Cameron Lackpour

April 15th, 2015, 10:31 pm #10

One buggy service goes down, the whole multiple server system goes tits up. Hopefully you're not asking for a return to that.

:)

I knew Oracle was different when they dumped that as quickly as they could.

I really and truly do ask my clients to check compliance. If it isn't me (the geek), it should be whoever's leading the project.

It is very easy to get out of sync but again, the alternative is too horrid to contemplate.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Confirmation of reply: