Dimension Build with Shared Members

Dimension Build with Shared Members

Tom Lewis
Tom Lewis

February 22nd, 2002, 6:35 pm #1

I need to build a dimension using Parent/Child references from a load file that is not in any particular order. This would ordinarily be no problem since I can allow moves when I load the dimension, but there need to be shared members in the dimension. When the load encounters a shared member, it moves the initial member rather than creating a duplicate member.

I have tried loading the dimension in two passes, first allowing moves, then without moves, and this almost works... but it makes the first occurance of a member shared, and the last occurance a stored member rather than the other way around.

If I have to I can manually edit the outine to fix this, but it seems that there must be a better way. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

February 22nd, 2002, 10:34 pm #2

I take it you are loading the same file twice using two different load rules. The first pass creates the member in the first location, then moves it when it encounters it with a different parent. The second pass creates the 'second' member as a child of the first parent and marks it shared, as the member is already in the outline.
I would suggest splitting your load file in two, with the second file being just shared members (with unique parent adds).

Zippy the cat
Zippy the cat

February 26th, 2002, 8:08 pm #3

The way you described is good. In fact, it was an exam question.

admin
admin

October 31st, 2007, 4:22 am #4

I have 10 alternate hierarchies in one dimension. When I try to build it using rules file, it gives me error on shared member. So I divided the build file into two (one with stored members only and the other with shared members only). I created two rules file, everything is the same except skip line is 3 in one and 2 in the other. The stored file builds without error. But when I try to build the shared file, it gives me the following error:

\\Record #1 - Error adding Attribute to member (3320)
XX|X_YY||Shared|

Please advice.

Thanks,
Admin

Lakshmi Kumar Vadhula
Lakshmi Kumar Vadhula

March 29th, 2012, 5:01 pm #5

I was getting the same error when I was loading the second file that had shared members in a parent child reference and and was because I was explicitly setting "S" as member property for a shared member.

When I changed it something that anyway it will default to like "+" as the property instead of "S" , essbase resolved it internally and made it as a shared member and I stopped having these errors.

Maxy Dsilva
Maxy Dsilva

August 9th, 2012, 7:50 am #6

you can build the alternate Hierarchy with the same Load Rule and same data file. In the data file first the actual members should appear with the property **** (Store Data) and then the shared members (nothing in the property column). Essbase treats it as a shared member

Confirmation of reply: