NTNP
Assassin
Assassin
NTNP
Assassin
Assassin

October 7th, 2017, 7:22 pm #1

Camp Searchlight: The Firehouse: My Life, My Decisions

Recap: Upon arriving in Searchlight, Yuudai watched as Grunthor was brought into the Zoo. He was quickly brought inside, treated by Chief Warrant Officer Gaynes and then left with Wykes to the Fire House to discuss what happened on the road. Arriving, she shares about other issues that had been happening around Searchlight as of late…

With the rumble of the road quieting, Wykes looked over at Yuudai- she was still untrusting, but otherwise friendly as he walked in front of the truck. Nothing overly interesting had happened on the road. It appeared the danger had passed. “This is Camp Searchlight, the Western Church- we nicknamed it the Zoo.” Pointing out at the chapel, it was in relatively good condition. Wooden planks recently painted, the roof repaired well enough to keep out the rain. But the presence of dozens of cages with creatures of all sorts raised Yuudai’s attention. Six rad scorpions, nine mutated hounds, thirteen coyotes and even a super mutant standing in perfect silence as they rolled in front. “These little terrors are how the NCR plans on handling the Brotherhood of Steel. Let these creatures go first, do as much damage as they can and then follow it up with troopers.” Wykes grinned as she spoke, running one hand through her hair. “I don’t have a clue how they do it, and I don’t want to. But it works, it makes these little monsters real quiet and compliant.”

Stepping out of the truck, he barely caught what Wykes was saying to the others before noticing the butt of the sledgehammer coming down on Grunthor’s face over and over again from the rearview mirror. Coming out, the green skinned man was utterly out of it but still breathing. The soldier let out a whistle, as a woman appeared. She looked perhaps forty, with black hair in a braid with strands of grey mixed in. She had an exhausted expression, which matched the insignia on her clothes: Chief Warrant Officer Gaynes, NCR Recon. “Another of Corporal Reiner’s quarry?” she asked with arms crossed. A few seconds later, three robots floated out toward the truck. They were white, round at the top. They reminded him of those machines they fought at the crashed vertibird. But each one was smaller than those had been, and had NCR isnignias painted across their sides.

They quickly detached Grunthor, placed him on a pair of gurneys and then rolled him deeper into the facility as the “people” talked. The Chief Warrant Officer walked over to the truck to inspect the mutant. She quickly noticed the blood on his face, and made the connection to the sledgehammer in the Corporal’s hands. “You realize we have enough sedatives to place a behemoth into stasis at this facility. Such brutality is unneeded.”

“Better to save that for something more important.” Wykes mouthed off, before quickly adding “Ma’am” at the end as if it made it sound any better.

“Corporal, you are dismissed. I will deal with the rest of the transfer myself.” She had a harsh tone, but then her attention shifted to the outsiders. “And who exactly are these people?”

Quickly Wykes spoke up. “Survivors from an attack east of here. Warrant Officer Hyde admitted them to the Camp for resupply and healing, if you’d be willing ma’am.”

“Most of you seem… well enough.” The older woman went inside, and a few minutes later emerged with a doctor’s bag, a few pill bottles and some device that made beeping noises. She went person to person, in an assembly line. Yuudai was first. She looked over his injuries, popped out a handful of pills into the man’s hand, and gave him a shot to the upper arm. “Take these with food and maybe something strong to drink for the pain. Sleep it off, and in the morning you should be fine.”

She appeared to say something similar to Denise and Katie. There was a small conversation with some pointing to the gecko from before, not that it mattered much to Yuudai. Wykes quickly had walked over, looked him in the eye and said “Don’t say a word about what happened on the road. Not until we get it reported.” It wasn’t until Gaynes reached Tammy that his attention shifted back to medical treatment. Instead of everyone elses’ examinations, which had been barely a glance and then some pills to go, she took her time. Tammy’s swelling was getting a little better, but the bruises had fully come out. Bright purple swatches across her face, torso and arm clashed with her pale white skin. But worst of all was her eye. As soon as Gaynes took the bandages away, her face contorted and she put the bandages back. Shaking her head, she sighed “Please go inside, and perhaps we can treat your wounds. I hope you understand this may not succeed.”

“I understand” was all Tammy could say, as she looked over at the group. Walking over, she gave Denise a hug and whispered something to her. Looking over at Yuudai, she smiled saying “Thank you for everything you have done.” Then started limping toward the chapel doors. As she was sent inside, Yuudai tried to follow he was met by the Chief Warrant Officer before he caught up to the woman. “You are not authorized for entry. In truth, neither is she but… her eye is… perhaps too foregone for me to treat. I’ll let her try using the autodoc inside, perhaps it can restore it. Or at least remove it safely if not. Her wounds were severe, you were lucky to have gotten her here soon enough.”

Wykes turned and grinned, “Want to come back to my place?” Waiting for Yuudai’s eventual confused expression she explained, “The Firehouse. Me and that bad bitch Morris I was talking about run the place. It’s a mess hall for enlisted. Best food, beds and only entertainment in Searchlight.” Walking over to the truck, she leaned against it with one elbow. By then, the robots had returned, and injected the super mutant hound with some sort of injection. It let out a small howl, before snoring loudly. They lifted the creature, placing it onto a gurney and started the same trip as they had done to Grunthor a few minutes before. “Chief Bitchy Pants said that you needed food with those pills right? I’m more than happy to give you a ride and empty your pockets a bit since you’ll need to sleep after taking them.”

Taking in a deep breath, Wykes whispered “And I want to know exactly what the hell happened out there before I make a report. At least there, we can talk without raising any suspicion.”

Onime No Ryu
Marksman
Marksman

October 9th, 2017, 12:37 am #2

Y U U D A I
[HP: 18/24] - Astor's Recon Camp

[/font]
The cages were...disturbing. Yuudai thought he would almost prefer that these creatures be dead rather than locked up and...pacified...like this. He narrowed his eyes at the Super Mutant standing stock still--would that be the fate that awaited Grunthor? Had his guess about that broadcast being some kind of brainwashing device held water after all? Super Mutants, and many of these other creatures, were abominations--perhaps some of them would still exist anyway, as nature began to adapt to this war-torn world, but the mutants especially were the result of Man's arrogance, just like everything else after the first atom bomb--but did even an abomination deserve to have its free will stolen from it? To be made a slave? As he untied the rope around his waist, he barely caught what Wykes was saying to the others before noticing the butt of the sledgehammer coming down on Grunthor’s face over and over again from the rearview mirror. He wanted to shout at the woman--better yet, to deliver a blow of his own and see how she liked it--but with the rest of the NCR looking on from afar all he could do was clench his fists until the bones popped and scowl.

Chief Warrant Officer Gaynes made her appearance, and gave Yuudai what he assumed--and hoped--was just a booster shot of sorts to keep him from contracting tetanus or some other kind of infection, along with a few pills. He didn't feel like he honestly needed any of it--Old Dore's work on his hand had been fine, and the minor scrapes he'd gotten throughout the battle with the Vipers were already scabbing over on their own. Tammy, on the other hand, finally got the treatment she needed, though the doctor didn't seem confident about restoring her eye. Yuudai sighed. At least she was still alive and wouldn't likely die of gangrene or some other infection.

“I understand” was all Tammy could say, as she looked over at the group. Walking over, she gave Denise a hug and whispered something to her. Looking over at Yuudai, she smiled saying “Thank you for everything you have done.”

"You're quite welcome. I'm...I'm sorry I couldn't save the others." In hindsight he could have done so many things better. If he had used his Stealth Boys earlier, could he have caught Curtis and the others more successfully? If he had rushed into the fray instead of holding back, if he had trusted in his own skills instead of trying to play out a perfect strategy, could he have stopped the fires before they began? He hadn't been strong enough, but it was Old Dore and Little Sparrow who had payed the price. The martial artist looked down at his scarred hands.

Wykes turned and grinned, “Want to come back to my place?” Waiting for Yuudai’s eventual confused expression she explained, “The Firehouse. Me and that bad bitch Morris I was talking about run the place. It’s a mess hall for enlisted. Best food, beds and only entertainment in Searchlight.” Walking over to the truck, she leaned against it with one elbow. By then, the robots had returned, and injected the super mutant hound with some sort of injection. It let out a small howl, before snoring loudly. They lifted the creature, placing it onto a gurney and started the same trip as they had done to Grunthor a few minutes before. “Chief Bitchy Pants said that you needed food with those pills right? I’m more than happy to give you a ride and empty your pockets a bit since you’ll need to sleep after taking them.” Taking in a deep breath, Wykes whispered “And I want to know exactly what the hell happened out there before I make a report. At least there, we can talk without raising any suspicion.”

"...Do I need to take them immediately?" he asked, as they began to walk. Again he glanced at the cages with clear distaste. But once they had passed them and the camp proper came into a better view, he couldn't deny how hungry and tired he was after trekking through the desert for more than twenty four hours. Still, if the pills were going to make him drowsy...he would rather keep his wits about him if there were going to be some difficult conversations.

NTNP
Assassin
Assassin
NTNP
Assassin
Assassin

October 10th, 2017, 12:20 am #3

Wykes just stood there for a moment. One hand resting on her hip, and a dumbfounded look upon her face as Yuudai started hoofing it toward the firehouse. Getting up in the vehicle, she slammed the door. Then turned on the engine. It let out a quiet roar, before pulling out. Skidding slightly to a stop kicking up dirt, she asked “Hey loser, why are you walking? Get in the damn truck!” then slid over, opening the passenger side door with one hand. Assuming he got in, she would answer “I mean, I’d eat before I took any chems. They are bad to make people feel a little out of it afterward, usually like an order of chili and brainmin cheese sort of way though. But if you are looking for a nap, order a Vodka or something with it. Then you’ll still be sleeping it off until tomorrow. Easy.”

Then they started the roll through town. It was unimaginably quicker than walking. Mostly they saw NCR soldiers, some on duty going about patrols or handling daily maintenance of the technology supporting the town, but a remarkable number looked like normal settlers and prospectors. Hawking their salvaged supplies, others having a nice little chat with the out of towners and more than a couple wandering around like tourists checking out the town. Driving around, a handful of people would notice them. A few even waved- probably at Wykes, but who knows maybe Yuudai had gotten a local following already? She reached down, tuning the radio onto a song before pulling up behind the firehouse.

Wykes shifted the sunglasses down to the bridge of her nose, then shook out her hair. With one hand, she turned up the radio pretty loud and the other rested gently on the blood covered handle of her sledgehammer. “You know more about what the fuck happened to me out there than you were letting on right? And what did you mean about “broadcast pylons?” If there is something you want to tell me, now would be a good fucking time to say so.”

Onime No Ryu
Marksman
Marksman

October 10th, 2017, 2:28 am #4

Y U U D A I
[HP: 18/24] - Astor's Recon Camp

[/font]
Ah, right. The truck. Yuudai rubbed his forehead as he climbed into the passenger seat again. He did need to sleep...but he certainly wasn't going to do it until he felt safe. He didn't normally drink anything stronger than fruit juice, but a place like this was bound to have coffee by the gallon.

Then they started the roll through town. It was unimaginably quicker than walking. Mostly they saw NCR soldiers, some on duty going about patrols or handling daily maintenance of the technology supporting the town, but a remarkable number looked like normal settlers and prospectors. Hawking their salvaged supplies, others having a nice little chat with the out of towners and more than a couple wandering around like tourists checking out the town. Driving around, a handful of people would notice them. A few even waved- probably at Wykes, but who knows maybe Yuudai had gotten a local following already? She reached down, tuning the radio onto a song before pulling up behind the firehouse.

Wykes shifted the sunglasses down to the bridge of her nose, then shook out her hair. With one hand, she turned up the radio pretty loud and the other rested gently on the blood covered handle of her sledgehammer. “You know more about what the fuck happened to me out there than you were letting on right? And what did you mean about “broadcast pylons?” If there is something you want to tell me, now would be a good fucking time to say so.”

"You don't have enough room to swing that in the cab of the truck." Yuudai said as he leaned with one elbow against the door. "And given its weight I would have the initiative if you tried." But he didn't sound like he was trying to threaten her, not even in that unspoken way like when they had first had this same kind of standoff about the broadcast. At this point he just wanted to know if he could trust these people and...and...Beyond general safety, some food, and then at some point in the hopefully near future finding and ending the Vipers, Yuudai wasn't really sure what he wanted. However, thinking about the Vipers gave him just enough fire to sit up straight again.

"And I only know what I saw and heard, Corporal. You were the one that called it a broadcast pylon." He looked at her. "We were riding along. You were telling jokes. Then something came over the radio. It sounded like a human scream, only...digitized. There were words, but I couldn't tell if they were in another language or being played in reverse or what. That was when Grunthor started screaming, Denise threw up, my ears rang and my vision went blurry." He nodded slightly towards Wykes. "Your makeup started to run, though I don't know if it was from sweat or tears. Your chest and your arms pulsed, you started to hyperventilate. You kept saying “Ts…al…lable…istr…” and clutched your head in pain. That was when I took the wheel and got us out of the signal's range."

He watched her closely, gauging her reactions not as a martial artist would an opponent, but as one who is trying to understand what's going on inside a disturbed person's head.

"The pylon collapsed almost immediately afterward, and everyone started to recover. You said “The hell happened to the broadcast pylon!” Then you went silent, and corrected yourself by calling it a radio tower." Yuudai jerked one thumb over his shoulder back towards where they had passed all of those cages. "And ever since I heard about this "domestication" nonsense, I'm starting to wonder if it works on humans, too."

He let that one hang in the dry, oppressive desert air.

NTNP
Assassin
Assassin
NTNP
Assassin
Assassin

October 11th, 2017, 1:12 am #5

((Yuudai passes his investigation check with 2+13 = 15 against a DC of 10))

As Yuudai talked, Wykes’ shoulders tightened greatly. Her biceps flexed as her grip on the handle of the sledge hammer grew even tighter. As he said that she had called it a “broadcast pylon” Yuudai was almost sure that she stopped breathing for just a second, as her flat abs sucked in. For just a split second, it was like she was going to hit him. But then her expression instantly softened. A mildly forced smile, rounded shoulders and her elbows which had been tucked in close spread out until the left one rested on the window. “I don’t know what you are talking about, I never even heard of a… broadcast pylon. You must have been hearing things tough guy. And the domestication stuff though… I dunno. I haven’t heard of them taking people in there for testing yet. We just got permission from the brass to start testing on muties and beasts.”

Onime No Ryu
Marksman
Marksman

October 11th, 2017, 1:42 am #6

Y U U D A I
[HP: 18/24] - Camp Searchlight

[/font]
"...I don't know much about the Old World," Yuudai said as he looked at Wykes with a sad expression in his eyes, "but I believe I learned that the United States greatly valued the idea of freedom. The freedom to worship a God as they liked, so long as they weren't killing and sacrificing in the name of religion. The freedom to say and write what they wanted, and choose what they wanted to read or listen to--a journalist could disagree with the President, and even if they got fired for saying it or other people chose to stop reading that paper, they couldn't be jailed for speaking their mind. They could even call for a revolution, even though it was against the law...because they also had the freedom to bear arms, and their own leaders who established those rights told them to always have enough firepower and ammunition on hand to overthrow a tyrannical government. My roots are Japanese, so maybe our ideas are a little different, or maybe what I've learned wasn't exactly the same. But I like that idea. The idea of Freedom."

He opened his door, and started to get out of the truck.

"And as a result I think anything that infringes on Freedom is a great evil. Raiders who enslave or steal from others, taking away their ability to live their lives freely. Despotic governments ruled by an iron fist, where kings and their cronies grow fat while commoners starve. Communists who claim to make everyone "equal" but in fact take away the ability for anyone to rise up above their station in life."

He dropped to the dusty ground and turned to look at Wykes one more time, one hand on the edge of the door.

"And something out of a science fiction comic, a mind control device that could even stop a person's own arms from moving or forcibly twist their expressions, would certainly be evil as well. Can you imagine, being trapped in your own body, perhaps even unable to blink once for yes and twice for no? That would be horrible, wouldn't it?"

Again he looked her in the eye, and waited calmly for her reaction. He knew he wasn't the most convincing speaker--even finding that many words to say was hard.

But maybe that's why she'll pick up on it.

NTNP
Assassin
Assassin
NTNP
Assassin
Assassin

October 12th, 2017, 11:08 am #7

For just a moment, Yuudai was sure he saw relief on Wykes’ face as he spoke. The beginnings of a smile, the real kind, the sort that happened accidentally- where the wrinkles near your eyes tighten, the cheeks raise and the eyebrows pull up as the ears shift back. It was rare to see someone really smile, especially out here in the Wasteland. But then it was gone, as she quickly shifted her sunglasses up a little higher and straightened out her back. Just like before, she had that impish little grin as she spoke, “That kind of stuff is way above my paygrade tough guy. I’m just here to shoot folks, make a few caps and follow orders. If you don’t like that way that people are going about stuff here, well I’d address the brass about that.”

Onime No Ryu
Marksman
Marksman

October 13th, 2017, 12:49 am #8

Y U U D A I
[HP: 18/24] - Camp Searchlight

[/font]
Perhaps she hadn't understood, for whatever reason. Maybe he couldn't see it clearly because of her sunglasses. Maybe the broadcast, or device, or whatever it was, had such a tight grip that even if she had read between the lines it wouldn't have mattered. Or maybe that smile was real. He wanted it to be real. He wanted to be able to believe, and able to trust.

Shoot folks, make caps, and follow orders. Maybe Yuudai had to be the one to read between the lines now. He looked at Wykes for a moment, then nodded and shut his door. He began walking around to the front entrance of the Fire Station; time to meet this "bad bitch" and see what else he could find out. But he took his time, an easy pace--perhaps he had relaxed so much because Wykes had lowered his guard. Or because now the Matthews were being given actual medical attention, so he didn't have to worry so much. Or maybe he was just tired. Or thinking.

Address the brass if you don't like how things work around here. Shoot folks, make caps, follow orders...She can't or won't tell me what she knows. Is it because of this mind-control broadcast, or because she is under orders to maintain secrecy? Shoot folks, make caps...She's already shown a willingness to get violent about this, when I snoop around or if I know something she doesn't think I should. She's a soldier. If she were given an order, she'd follow it and shoot me. She might be under some kind of control, if she were made to do so, she'd shoot me. This is above her pay grade...she claims not to know anything...I should talk to the brass...

If I can get this Morris woman alone, can I get any further information out of her? If Wykes is equally likely to shoot me regardless of whether or not she wants to...Or maybe, having Wykes around means that whatever Wykes knows, this "broadcast" knows. Either way, get Wykes out of the room, and try to talk to Morris--or maybe someone else--who has the authorization to either do something about this, or give me the information I need to do something about it myself.

Shoot folks, make caps, follow orders...Make caps? NCR pays wages, I'm sure. They probably charge for services rendered to anyone who passes through the camp, too. Wykes is a Corporal, though, she would probably be a squad leader in the field, not someone who hangs around camp to do repairs, give medical treatment, or trade goods. How else would she make caps?

She hates mutants. Maybe her group hunts and captures the animals and other "test subjects." Would the NCR, or someone else, really pay her extra for that, though? The NCR could easily cover that up by saying it's a routine patrol or a subjugation of dangerous wildlife. Shooting folks...I don't think the NCR would really have to incentivize killings even if they are shady. People in the Wasteland kill each other at the drop of a hat and there's little left of the old world's evidence and reason based court system. If Wykes had to play hired gun and get rid of "interference," she could do it fairly openly simply because the NCR is the law around here.

Make caps...Maybe it's more literal. A counterfeiting operation? There'd certainly be profit in that kind of thing, but it seems entirely unrelated to what's going on here now. Still, looking at things from different angles might at least give me a brain-spark. Counterfeiting...criminal activity. Is there some kind of criminal activity going on here in the camp? Wykes doesn't seem like the type who would do things under the table in the first place. Is she involved in it, or trying to warn me away from it?

At this point Yuudai felt like he was slamming his head against a wall. Whatever Wykes was trying to hint at, if she was even hinting at anything, seemed beyond him at the moment. He sighed heavily as he knocked on the door of the Firehouse.

"Excuse me. I am Yuudai, one of the three travelers just arrived on base. I was told to meet a Staff Sergeant Morris."

NTNP
Assassin
Assassin
NTNP
Assassin
Assassin

October 14th, 2017, 11:20 am #9

After spending a minute or two out there after knocking, Yuudai could hear someone walking. A soldier, easily six foot tall with broad shoulders and wearing a physical training getup looked at him with one eyebrow raised. He said, “You don’t need to knock. It’s a bar man. Just come on in and take a seat. The Sergeant will be back once she is done giving her report to the Colonel.” Pointing him toward the bay, he waited until Yuudai walked off before heading back toward the opposite side of the station.

The firehouse itself was a nice enough place, for what it was. There had obviously been a pre-war structure here that the NCR had reconditioned to make their little rec-center. The garage where the trucks used to be parked had become the “heart” of the place- a half dozen tables had been put out in a circle, with a somewhat crude looking radio in the center playing a little louder than what Yuudai would have liked. Usually four chairs a table, the place could comfortably seat around 24 people, without even considering the bar on the far side of the room where drinking glasses, chems and bottles had been placed out of patron’s reach without crossing over the imaginary “threshold” that existed for where customers did and did not go. Hanging in the center was a pair of fire axes in the shape of an “X” with a fire helmet in the center.

Between three tables were five enlisted soldiers, obviously right off of their shift since they had not even changed clothes yet. Four men, and one woman with her hair shaved down to look like one of the boys. If it wasn’t for her breasts, Yuudai might have even mistaken her for one of the men given that all of them were about the same size and condition. Most of them seemed to be eating some sort of wings, covered in pink sauce or drinking rather enthusiastically. Except for one soldier, who was enthralled with reading a magazine with bullets on the front, and occasionally nibbling on a celery stick between pages. All of them were under 25, and none of them paid him much attention period. There were also three waste landers, one of them obviously a junk trader given the giant backpack at his side filled with gears and his junkyard dog resting quietly on the ground. The other two were the fairer sex, one of them easily in her late forties. Eating at a table alone, she paid no attention to anyone else. Her skin was dark, heavily tanned and much like Old Dore from the farm her hair was filled with beads, ribbons and colored string that broke up her dreadlocks. She was thin, with signs of sun damage- white blotches on her face and arms from over exposure to both radiation and the heat. Her clothes appeared relatively tribal, although she had stated to wear some modern clothing along with it in the form of a leather jacket, grey camo pants and military boots.

The last person in the room was sitting on her own, at the far side of the bar. A woman trying to appear younger than she really was.
She was smoking a cigarette, which she instantly put out when Yuudai walked into the room. She wore a very tight fitting dress that left little to the imagination. It was a black getup, strapless that clung to her body. There were holes cut from her armpit down her side, all the way to her thigh which is where the dress stopped anyways. He could tell she wasn’t wearing anything underneath. She walked toward him, her red lipstick recently applied. Long blond hair, well washed. “Hello there handsome, looking for a little company?”

Onime No Ryu
Marksman
Marksman

October 14th, 2017, 1:58 pm #10

Y U U D A I
[HP: 18/24] - Fire Station

[/font]
Ah, so the Fire Station wasn't a barracks or an officer's dwelling like he thought, but the local saloon. That...complicated things. Because now Wykes wasn't the only person he had to worry about ostensibly shooting him in the back. As he crossed the threshold of the building, he reached up to take off his Metal Helmet. He had always been taught you didn't wear headgear indoors--at least not in civilized places--and if this had been one of the dwellings back at the Vault he would have taken off his boots as well, but he knew out here that would just be impractical. The slight pause that taking off the helmet provided, however, also allowed him to take stock of his surroundings without going all the way inside.

The firehouse itself was a nice enough place, for what it was. There had obviously been a pre-war structure here that the NCR had reconditioned to make their little rec-center. The garage where the trucks used to be parked had become the “heart” of the place- a half dozen tables had been put out in a circle, with a somewhat crude looking radio in the center playing a little louder than what Yuudai would have liked. Usually four chairs a table, the place could comfortably seat around 24 people, without even considering the bar on the far side of the room where drinking glasses, chems and bottles had been placed out of patron’s reach without crossing over the imaginary “threshold” that existed for where customers did and did not go. Hanging in the center was a pair of fire axes in the shape of an “X” with a fire helmet in the center.

Between three tables were five enlisted soldiers, obviously right off of their shift since they had not even changed clothes yet. Four men, and one woman with her hair shaved down to look like one of the boys. If it wasn’t for her breasts, Yuudai might have even mistaken her for one of the men given that all of them were about the same size and condition. Most of them seemed to be eating some sort of wings, covered in pink sauce or drinking rather enthusiastically. Except for one soldier, who was enthralled with reading a magazine with bullets on the front, and occasionally nibbling on a celery stick between pages.

Probably fresh recruits out of training. Hair hasn't had time to grow back in yet, they've all been doing the same exercises so their builds are very similar. Now that they're stationed and don't have to worry about a drill sergeant looming over their shoulders they're pigging out and living it up...except that one. Still watching what he eats, and reading up on old world arms and ammunition...either a good and proper soldier, or a military "otaku." If any of them are dangerous, it's him.

All of them were under 25, and none of them paid him much attention period. There were also three waste landers, one of them obviously a junk trader given the giant backpack at his side filled with gears and his junkyard dog resting quietly on the ground. The other two were the fairer sex, one of them easily in her late forties. Eating at a table alone, she paid no attention to anyone else. Her skin was dark, heavily tanned and much like Old Dore from the farm her hair was filled with beads, ribbons and colored string that broke up her dreadlocks. She was thin, with signs of sun damage- white blotches on her face and arms from over exposure to both radiation and the heat. Her clothes appeared relatively tribal, although she had stated to wear some modern clothing along with it in the form of a leather jacket, grey camo pants and military boots.

What did Old Dore call them? Twisted Hairs? He implied himself and Wolfshorn had escaped the Legions...Is she associated with the same ranch, or just another surviving straggler? At least she's not NCR, but I doubt she'd side with me if things went sideways in here. Nothing off at first glance with the trader...keep an eye on the dog though. It'll pick up on things way before any of the humans do--prick of the ears, bark,
hackles raised, anything.

The last person in the room was sitting on her own, at the far side of the bar. A woman trying to appear younger than she really was. She was smoking a cigarette, which she instantly put out when Yuudai walked into the room. She wore a very tight fitting dress that left little to the imagination. It was a black getup, strapless that clung to her body. There were holes cut from her armpit down her side, all the way to her thigh which is where the dress stopped anyways. He could tell she wasn’t wearing anything underneath.

Town prostitute. Looks fairly disease-free, but for one thing I'm morally opposed and for another the men around here might not take kindly to sharing. And I may not be good with people, but I'm not stupid enough to have missed those winks Wykes has been throwing my way...

Then again, Wykes isn't talking.

The glitzy woman walked toward him, her red lipstick recently applied. Long blond hair, well washed.

“Hello there handsome, looking for a little company?”

He intentionally let his eyes drop a little lower than they should have, made a show of rolling his shoulders out a bit, standing a little straighter, tensing up his arms and chest.

"On business, Miss." He began, confident...but wavering. "But I suppose a drink wouldn't hurt, now would it?"

After all, the bouncer had just told him--in full view of the others--the Staff Sergeant was off giving her report and would be a bit coming back. He accompanied her to a couple of stools next to the counter, making sure to watch like he couldn't keep his eyes off her.

"Sweet thing like you in a place like this is like looking over the Mojave and seeing New Vegas." he said as he sat down. "What's your name?"

NTNP
Assassin
Assassin
NTNP
Assassin
Assassin

October 14th, 2017, 3:28 pm #11

Walking over to the stool, her hips swayed wide. Sitting down, she made sure to tuck her legs tight, crossing them giving just a split second glance at what was in between before settling into position. Pressing one elbow against the table, she smiled. “My name is Alice, handsome. So what are you buying us?” By then, the bouncer from before had made his way inside, and over behind the bar. He stood there, somewhat awkwardly and clearly listening in to the conversation. He didn’t pay her a bit of mind, but instead Yuudai could sense himself being measured up. It was that feeling he got before a fight, trying to decide how to deal with an opponent’s strength, or guessing what weaknesses they might possess. But there wasn’t a hostile feeling coming from him, more mild apprehension mixed with annoyance.

Onime No Ryu
Marksman
Marksman

October 18th, 2017, 3:09 pm #12

Y U U D A I

[/font]
"Well, I can't get too crazy. Business, you understand." He nodded at Alice as he fished out his 25 caps--she couldn't see into his pockets so she probably couldn't tell that was all he had on him at the moment--and nonchalantly let them clink onto the counter. He nodded cheerfully to the barkeep. "Let's keep it simple--couple of shot glasses and a bottle of whiskey between us sound alright?"

Whiskey's supposed to be a man's drink or something. Harder liquor, usually not taken in large quantities, typically not mixed. Not sophisticated like wine, certainly not one of those fancy fruity drinks, so she may not be convinced of my interest--but for one thing if straight whiskey isn't "too" crazy, it might be a point for my tough-guy image, and for another thing she won't need to drink much of it to get relaxed. Even if she doesn't like it she'll do a shot or two to be polite.

Or so his hopes went. Assuming his caps were good here, he would soon offer to clink glasses in a toast.

"So, Miss Alice, how are things in Camp Searchlight? Damn sight better than my week's been, I bet?"

Just then, gunshots echoed from somewhere outside of the building. Yuudai reflexively tensed and turned towards the door, one hand hovering over the SMG at his hip (he had replaced the 10mm in his bag, since all the ammo for it was now in the submachine gun, before they had gotten to the camp) but not drawing it just in case the soldiers were too jumpy to differentiate defensive behavior from aggression.

Please don't tell me Grunthor's gone crazy again...or that Kate has somehow gotten herself in trouble...

NTNP
Assassin
Assassin
NTNP
Assassin
Assassin

October 24th, 2017, 12:55 am #13

As Yuudai made it to the door, he heard another explosion. In the debris, easily a dozen small spheres raced toward him. They were perhaps six or eight inches tall, and about that wide- all rolling around in every direction, seemingly chaotically. They had little green lights on their bodies, that flashed in unison and kicked up bursts of dirt in every direction as bullets were flying. The machines rushed down the road, behind the firehouse and everywhere else before his eyes. Then he noticed someone standing in the distance, minigun still spinning.

A person wearing power armor stood there, still scanning the horizon. He noticed immediately that she was female- even under the steel, her body distribution gave it away. Her arms and legs were thinner than a man’s, even when supported with a metal bracers, gauntlets, leg guards and boots. But the real nail in the coffin was her hips, wider and shapelier than what the original designer had intended. Standing there, she quickly scanned the group and asked, “What the hell was that?” her voice echoing through the speakers on the helm, giving her a more masculine sound.

Onime No Ryu
Marksman
Marksman

October 28th, 2017, 1:50 pm #14

Y U U D A I

[/font]
Seeing one of the little bots roll through the firehouse, pinball between the tables, and then dart out the back door as soon as the barkeeper (who had probably predicted the same course of action as Yuudai, that being 'give the little bastard an opening') pushed it open, Yuudai could only stare for a moment before he took his hand off of his weapon. Immediately he remembered the broadcast tower's collapse, and put two and two together.

The little round things we saw moving on the tower before it went down. Were those robots simply destroying it, or were they also the source of the broadcast? Wykes seems to know more about the radio than she lets on, which implies it has something to do with their operations here, but obviously these machines were causing some sort of trouble...Just what is going on in this camp?

"Sergeant Morris, I presume?" the martial artist said to Alice, as he gestured to the armored figure standing outside the firehouse.