NPC - Guardian|
Voice: Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan in Star Trek, Into Darkness. (Yes this is totally a play on the fact the character names sound the same LOL.)
The Daemon King, Kaahn, or so he calls himself, stands at a comfortable 5'11", with smooth olive toned skin, nicked here and there with scars that he's rather proud of, wearing them like trophies. He is lithe and possesses a frame built for strength, with fine muscle definition and moves with the assured grace of someone completely in his element. His hands are strong, and each of his nails on both fingers and toes end with hard black claws roughly an inch and a half long.
His hair is blue-black in colour and falls straight, reaching to the middle of his back. A strand held with ornaments falls to his chest before each tapered ear, and the rest is usually swept back and held in a knot with some form of clasp. (It is noted that his appearance has been known to change, particularly in the dreamscape) His eyes are nothing if not sly, though they may take many different expressions, slyness suits them well, and they are coloured as a baleful burning orange. From above and behind his ears sweep forward four polished horns of alternating banded colours, in black, gold, and one or two other colors which are almost always different each time he is summoned. They stretch above his natural height, and like the rest of him are often adorned with jewelry or small trinkets. His right ear is pierced with a thin gold loop inscribed with a desert song, from which narrow triangular chimes hang.
Kaahn also sports a long and muscular tail of four feet in length, tiny interlocking scales of grey and brilliant copper mottling his lower spine where it joins his body, with narrow barbs upon the end. These barbs lie flat against the thin spearhead of his tail, and are about a foot long themselves, springing up when agitated or when used as a weapon. They may break off and lodge in a victim, only to regrow a few moments later. A heavy gold ring encircles the end of his tail before the barb, engraved with the mastery of his binding. Sometimes it will have a thin short chain attached, from which a small glass prison hangs, the latest of his victims entrapped in the bauble, but it most often appears in dreams.
His aura acts in a manner which may make him attractive to those who look upon him, regardless of gender, as such is his race well famed for in their art of seduction and beguilement.
Kaahn's wings are usually folded and concealed, but in the flesh they are great constructs of thin hollow bones and stretched papery memrane reminiscent of a bat's, though littered with tiny scales that match his tail. When out in the open, they smolder and beating them will cause a thick cloud of ash and embers to slough from them.
When he does wear clothes they are generally fanciful and bearing the emblem of a sun bursting, which he claims is ironic as it is the sign of waking. Often he will parade about shirtless or with a short open coat above loose pants secured below the knee to his feet with sandals or silk wrappings, which are almost always bare.
When damaged, his skin cracks and chips away like pottery, leaving a gaping void beneath, from which a sickly green felfire creeps. Once broken, the flesh around the wound will continuously erode and regrow, fluttering away in the air, charring black and winking out of existence. To mend his broken body, he must return to his home plane for a time, as he must with wounds.
He does not seem to fight with weapons as of yet.
Kaahn absolutely detests salt water, as it produces a pained burning on his flesh, akin to silver.
Kaahn is exactly what one might expect of a daemon hellbent on seducing and sleeping with everything that moves, and yet there are times when he might show a surprisingly human emotion or action, enough to catch one off guard. His antics do nothing to truly endear him in the eyes of another, he is mocking, spiteful, greedy and callous, and has no care whether he hurts the feelings of another with his observations. Indeed he makes a point of going out of his way to do so, and to maintain his cruel and snide image.
As well as of all these, he secretly covets those rare times he allows himself to delve into the range of emotion that humans so freely exhibit, those times when it is not them he is trying to evoke it from, but himself. Few have ever seen him lose him temper, and it seems nigh impossible to make him do so, nor does he seem to lose his spirits and become depressed and mirthless. Always there is a furious interest in humanity, and everything that might be used for something, that might live, grow, suffer and die. He is incredibly free with his thoughts, and letting just about everyone and anyone know exactly what he thinks.
Aside from this, he harbors a soft spot for his bonded partner, and though he often enjoys watching her flounder and struggle in her own mistakes, he will defend her fiercely when the time calls for it. And then, likely give her a double lashing of scornful snappy remarks on top of it for making him have to actually do something. Lately he has taken more of a turn of interest for watching her suffer and wither under his scrutiny while he attempts to dominate her, forcing his will over her own so that he might make her free him from his binding.
Were he to come to care with any measure of affection for someone, it would be a twisted and likely misunderstood affair, a fixation in where he would undoubtedly terrorize and subject the object of his attentions to much emotional torture and mental strain. He has little understanding or care for real emotions such as love, and would discard someone attached to him as easily as trash. It is not to say that he could not learn, but chaos is his nature, and he has no rhyme or reason to necessarily stick to any one determined thing, making him highly unpredictable.
- [+] spoiler
- Sentius Saturnine, King of Unwaking - Shrista may now summon the Daemon bonded to her, to come to her aid, or banish him at will from her presence. The bond grants them a shared telepathic and emphatic link, as well as a directional sense that tells the other which face of the compass they are at, and their condition, and how far from each other they are. As they are bonded, Kaahn may also travel in her shadow indefinitely, without needing to rest, though he may not take any action other than speaking, or leaving it.
- Captivate [Kaahn] - As an Incubus, Kaahn may cause all but the strongest minds to fall under his sway, with an exception to those enchanted with protection against compulsion or mind affecting abilities. Characters with stronger wills or minds may resist his insidious charms, though how completely is dependent on their skill. Those he captivates become devoted to him for a maximum of three posts for player characters, until dismissed or the effect wears off. He may spread his influence over a wider range to affect more than one person at a time (50ft) though holding them becomes more difficult the more skilled the minds are, and can be wildly inaccurate when trying to only hold one or two people. Those who move outside of the range will feel the compulsion weaken enough that they might feel confused, but not wholly subjugated. This skill has a higher chance of success when dream walking (30%) including on those who share a bond with him. Additionally his natural charisma is boosted, making him more likable to those within his direct vicinity.
Using this skill on weaker minds can leave them broken badly if the compulsion is forcibly removed by someone with skill in healing magic or dispelling mind traps unless incredibly careful.
- Forsaken Strength [Kaahn] - Over time the Incubus' bones have become strong enough to support his growing strength. Kaahn is strong enough that when plumbing the depths of the reserves of his demonic strength, he can smash through stone, though not without minor physical damage to himself, and lift great weights where needed. Obviously anyone getting in the way would be seriously injured, if not killed outright from a blow, including his bonded partner. Lifting something heavy does not guarantee that he can move after picking it up, or supporting it. (PC permit required if making contact with them.)
- Covet [Kaahn] - Kaahn may take control of a target for up to five consecutive turns, utilizing their abilities and bending them to his will. While in possession of their form, he enters the target fully and puppets them. An unwilling victim may fight him for control, and doing so will hinder his progress with functioning their form, to the point that he may be expelled from their body prematurely if they are strong enough. If the victim is willing, he may control them to the point that they become an unwilling host, in which he must fight them for command of the body. When possessing a host, his daemonic nature is confined within them, and thus masked except to those specifically tracking him. Non specific daemonaic tracking skills will appear to split his influence over several life forms, e.g. in a crowd. The stronger the tracking spell, the smaller the split.
(E.g Simple level daemon tracking may split his entity to the nearest 15 life forms. Intermediate 10, Advanced 5)
Using this skill may leave him tired or weakened, the state of his strength thus depending on how long he possessed the form for, and if he was ejected prematurely. He may be forced from the body by a strong exorcism, or by causing enough harm to the host that is forced to flee.
- Shadow Marionette [Kaahn] Kaahn may bind himself to as many as two whole separate targets in the physical plane, using his hands to manipulate them as one would with a pair of marionettes, though it is often considered a clumsy method. For more precision without direct possession he may bind his limbs to others so that they are forced to mirror his own movement. Any shapeshifting or ability that moves the target out of his line of sight will break the bond between them, and if the target has enough physical strength the bond will draw taut and snap if they can resist the instigator. Anticipating it will give the victim an obvious advantage in resisting which limb/s are being controlled.
- Reality Bleed [Kaahn] As a planar tyrant, Kaahn brings his own natural planar power (dreams) to the physical world, creating an aura around him that affects the nearest forty feet and warps reality. Magic has a 75% chance to twist and deviate from the original intention, becoming wild magic, and the laws of physics no longer apply in the field. Anything contained within the aura is now subject to alteration by sheer will and will retain any changes once the two planes are separate again. (e.g. When the aura is active, a wooden chair may melt if he chooses it to, and remain melted once out of his presence.) What happens is subject entirely to those minds within the area. For example, most people have firm beliefs in the laws such as gravity, and most objects obey that. The area may change and things contained in it metamorphose depending on who thinks what and how strong. Living creatures naturally resist such changes though simple things like clothing may change if they are not maintained with concentration. Anything that changes or is transmogrified (creatures and players with permission) are then marked as cursed. Curses can of course, be removed by magic, making a deal with, banishing or slaying the Incubus in question.[Requires PC permission for use on characters]
- Bloodthirsty Void Through strong affiliation with the arts of blood and life magic, and shared through the bond with her daemon, spells falling into that school are now effectively nullified when directed at the caster or their bonded companion. Instead of causing harm, they are absorbed and grant a bonus to speed, strength and magic to the equivalent of x.5 with the capability of stacking up to three times maximum. The bonus fades after three consecutive posts until reapplied and cannot be triggered by the caster using blood magic on themselves.
- Tantalizing Gift [Kaahn] Kaahn offers the target a luxurious gift in exchange for a favor, granting them something that they particularly desire. This trade may not always be equal, or necessarily in good faith, as the subject may discover later. Often, it may seem that they are getting a ludicrously good deal, only for it to fall down around their ears later on.
The player may ask for one magical item or power that would normally be out of their means to acquire, including such things as a turn of incredible fortune or intervention from a higher power, providing they have the ability slot to cater for it. Additionally, they may call upon Kaahn once per thread should they choose, bringing him to their location.
As a side effect, the player may find themselves experiencing unnaturally vivid dreams in which any harm inflicted on them will reflect in minor wounds upon waking. (Bruises, shallow cuts and scratches, mild illness.) This is due to their dreams leaking into the Ethereal Plane and actually experiencing a light for of Dreamwalking.
- Now You See Me... [Kaahn] Kaahn may effectively teleport short distances by willing himself to be somewhere else. The land responds much in the way his Dreamwalking does, and reorients itself to put him where he wants to be. The area he teleports to must be in his line of sight for distances longer than 50ft, otherwise he might teleport into an object which would be difficult to explain.
When traversing the land in greater distances, he must begin moving and subtly alter features of the landscape to reflect where he is going; much as one does entering the Ethereal Plane. This takes longer if he has companions with him, though the fewer there are, the easier it is. He may now take up to ten other entities with him when he traverses the land via this method, though the risk still remains of being intercepted or losing one's sanity, it is substantially smaller the less passengers he attempts to transport.
Should he use this method to effectively 'find' someone without knowing where they are, and without being called to them, it will take a small toll on him for each person moving, as the world will shuffle itself like a deck of cards very quickly, and exact its price on him instantly rather than a gradual change.
People who see him do this will notice only that he was there a moment ago, and now gone. If they were to watch closely, they may see how things seem curiously flat, and turning a certain way makes them entirely invisible, like a piece of paper. People may also catch flickers of him and his passengers as they move directly through the Plane, should they be touching it at the time. [Upgrade to Dreamstalker]
- Esoteric Presence [Kaahn] Sometimes it's preferable to be unseen, or as close to it as one might get. Kaahn may effectively fade out of people's awareness, making it very difficult for them to concentrate on him, or remember more than the vaguest details about him. Someone might notice he was there if he had caused some catastrophe, but wouldn't be able to tell you how tall he was,
or the colour of his skin. Providing he does nothing to alert others, he may wander around physically,
pretty much unnoticed; even to those with telepathic tendencies, who will encounter his mind as either an empty space, or distracting static.
Should he wish to, he may slide partway between Dreaming and become intangible. He may walk through doors and walls, and only those he wishes to see him will do so, with the exception of other fiends, cats, the dead, or those of a celestial nature. Those with a keen spiritual sense may detect his presence, making them unsettled as well, though he is not undead. His strength is reduced to 25% of its natural state, allowing him to influence light to medium sized objects by pushing or moving them, as if he were a poltergeist. [Upgrade to Shadow Dance]
- [+] spoiler
- Dreamstalker [Kaahn] - Incubi and Succubi may traverse the dreamscape, and Kaahn is no exception. Not only may he enter the dreamscape by putting himself into a trance, (he does not dream) but he may also physically enter the realm, leaving the real world behind. To do so is dangerous, and should he die there while being physically present, he will be severely weakened and forced out. Not only that, but he may suffer the ills of mortals, and could be permanently killed as a result of being weakened. Entering via trance state leaves his body unprotected, and thus defenseless. Any wounds taken while dreaming will recreate themselves on his physical form as a minor infliction, like a reflection of the ethereal wound, and leave him with a great deal of tiredness, making it much harder to dream walk again until he has rested properly, by sleeping.
As well as being able to physically enter the dreamscape of others, he may use this method to traverse the real world via the reflection of it in the dreamscape. Again it is dangerous as anomalous entities are attracted to that which is not meant to be there. He may carry one passenger with him like this at a time, and the risk is much higher. There is no guarantee that they will make the other side, and if they do, not necessarily with their mind intact unless they are able to dream walk in some form themselves.
- Shadow Dance [Kaahn] - Kaahn may alter his form so that he becomes insubstantial, and quite literally becomes a shadow. In this state he cannot harm anyone nor cause a harmful action, nor pick up objects or move them. He cannot pass through walls or objects either, and cannot be harmed by physical attacks. The flexibility of his shape however does allow him to slip through tiny cracks and under doors. When moving on his own, he may retain the shadow shape for up to one hour, before he loses it, unless attached to a person or object. When 'stuck' to a physical being, his shape may last as long as three hours before he is forced to resume physical normality, and must rest for the span of a post before he is able to do it again, unless attached to his bonded partner.
He may speak in this form, but take no other physical actions beside moving around.
- Cloak of Ash [Kaahn] - Wings are often unwieldy and Kaahn now has the option to hide his own, with the exception of being in the dreamscape, when everything about him is on show for all to see. They appear almost transparent, a thin membrane stretching between the fragile bones and tiny scales to match those of his tail, tipped with slender hooked barbs. A distinct heat emanates from them, and when in use, a light cloud of choking embers and ash roll from them.