Codex of Vespasian

Castor
Citizen of the World

12:03 PM - May 03, 2018 #1

The Codex of Our Lord Vespasian
By Saint August, Saint Igabon and Saint Loren

Prelude

Within this book of faith, lies written the teachings and prophecies of Our Lord Vespasian, his disciples, and those who predicted his coming. It is a collection of works by Saint August, Vespasian's mentor, Saint Igabon, the first disciple, and Saint Loren, 'he who would spread the word throughout the world'.

Book 1: Of the Coming of our Lord

By Saint August

Chapter 1: The prophecies of Saint August and Distinius

Before the time of our lord, the lands were fruitful and ruled with just hand. The people were content, toiling hard and having plenty in return. The lords of the lands were beloved by their subjects, not knowing pain or hunger. T'was not until the prophecy spoken by Saint August that troubles appeared to stir the peaceful people. Saint August spoke of danger, and enemies, with heavy heart:

" Here me now, my people.
All is well, in this kingdom of peace.
But it is beset on all sides by lurking eyes,
and indeed, the enemy approaches.
A great evil, malign in nature and destructive in force,
wishes to oppose this kingdom of ours.
Lest we unite, and with gathered strength oppose this evil,
we might all perish.
Yet, a child will be born, of both earthly,
and divine nature, to deliver us from evil."

It was with this warning, that the people began to muster. The lords, now faced with war, sought out their best warriors and healers to defend their people. Alas, however, the prophecy of Saint August was incomplete. The child, meant to save the people, was not found. Many proclaimed their children to be born of divine nature, but nought but the shame came over them, who thought their children to be saviours.

Unbeknownst, however, the child's message was spread. Until, at last, it reached the ears of the Lady Mastin. On an evening, she was alone, when suddenly, an angel of light appeared above her, proclaiming he was the messenger of heaven, sent to deliver the words of the coming of Our Lord.

" Fear not, my child.
For I have come to deliver you great joy.
You may not know, that you are with child.
And this child you shall bear, shall deliver your people from evil.
Know, that while mortal he might be, he is of both human and divine nature.
He shall know the troubles of your earthly existence,
But ere he ascendes, he shall have saved you.
And upon his death, he shall become our lord,
returning to the flame from which his divine nature was borne.
Rest now, mother, for your struggle will be long.
You must journey to the city you call 'Kinaldi',
so you may give birth to the fruit you carry."

The lady Mastin, having received the task from the angel Distinius, realised that she was with child, and that her baby was blessed with a divine hand, capable of great deeds. It was then, that she told her companion, Estil, that the child she held was created not by natural means, but rather by divine design. Estil, delighted by the word that a child would be born, devoted his care to Mastin, carrying her on horseback, as they went to Kinaldi.

Chapter 2: Of the birth of our Lord
For ten days, Mastin and Estil walked, from their home, to the great Imperial city of Kinaldi. On the fourth day, Distinius returned, now before Estil and Mastin as parents, and spoke:

"Your child shall soon be born.
Within four days, you shall give birth to him.
Attempt not to persuade the townsfolk of his divinity, they will not believe.
Only a person of noble heart, shall take you in.
Then, within four days, your lord will come to see your child,
and proclaim, that indeed, he is holy."

Estil, now certain of his child's divinity, did as the angel foretold. On the tenth day, they entered the city of Kinaldi, in search of a shelter for Mastin to give birth. They asked in all the inns, houses, and shelters they could. But alas, their pleas fell on silent ears. Their was nought but discontent for a pregnant child. Yet, as the angel foretold, the very last person that Estil made his pleas to, concurred, and opened her house. An elderly lady, who spoke of a message sent by a voice of pure light, told that the prophecy of Saint August was to be finally fulfilled. And so, in her house, Mastin went into labour.

After a hard toiling, Mastin gave birth to a son. At the surface, nothing of his divine nature was noticable. But inside, Mastin knew that this child would be their saviour. Estil, picking it up, showed the child to Mastin, and spoke: " This is your child. Whatever blessings lay upon him, whatever events has led them to us: we shall nurture him, care for him. And all will be well." Then, he spoke to the heavens, proclaiming: "This child, that you have placed unto our care. We shall not fail you, nor your command."

For three days, Vespasian lay inside a crib, made of nought but straw and thatch. It was upon that evening, that word came to the farmers around Kinaldi by way of Distinius, who spoke: " Within the walls of the city, lays a child that will be your salvation. Go now to him, so that he may receive your blessing." And so, the farmers went, and when the came to the house of the newborn child, they were in awe. Such a harmless child could only be filled with innocence and love. It was there, that the eldest among them proclaimed: " If this is the one send from the heavens, to bring upon us salvation, then we shall place our trust unto the heavens, and unto the child."

Two days later, word would reach the Imperial Court, and Emperor Lustinus II Orchia√ęd would come to see the child himself. When he came, he saw, as the farmers did, the innocent child in his crib. He kneeled before him, and spoke: " As foretold by Augustus, as predicted by my court, now has come, the child who would become legend. From heaven, to earth, has passed this child, of both earthly and divine nature. " Then, he rose from the crib, and proclaimed:

" I have seen the evil,
of which the prophets spoke.
They have come already to wreak havoc among our people.
They are of a malign nature, such is certain.
But most unspeaking of all,
they are unbreakable.
Long have I sought the child that would learn me the secret,
of victory over this evil.
And so, has it come from heaven, unto our midst.
It, and it alone, can destroy this evil that awaits us."

And so, with the Emperor's blessing, began the journey of Our Lord Vespasian. The emperor would eventually leave, as would the farmers, until the parents and child were alone again, left within the sanctuary of their home.

Chapter 3: The Vision of Vespasian
Our Lord Vespasian, while of divine nature, would age and mature as any other would. And so, at the age of seven, he would receive the call of the heavens for the first time. As Vespasian stood upon a hill, overlooking the city, the angel Distinius descended upon him, speaking:

" My child, I have come with a message from your creator.
Know that you are a mortal man, but that you are of bipartite identity.
You are both of human and divine nature.
You have been sent, born from the flame of the heavens,
To deliver these people from evil.
Know that your path is determined by the heavens, and by your creator.
And while destined your may be, you must yourself seek out to fulfil it.
You must bring the words of the heavens unto this people.
You must teach them charity, humbleness, patience.
You, with the flame of heavens inside you, are without sin.
Bring these people the wisdom that you have."

And thus, Vespasian, while young, understood the words of the angel, and bowed, speaking only: " Your command is just. I shall fulfil it." And so, Our Lord would seek out the wisdom from ancient lore and wise masters. But yet, he would maintain his divinity as a humble secret. He would seek the toils of hard work, the rewards of an honest days work, and the struggles of mortal men, in order to learn the human life. His father Estil, would raise Our Lord as a farmer, as he himself had always been.

It was at the age of ten, that Our Lord first came across Saint August, an orator of Kinaldi. He spoke of equality, knowledge, and the coming of evil. It was upon these days, that August noticed the child, and realised its divine nature housed within. Thus, he brought him forward, speaking: " You, who is without sin. What would you uphold to be wisdom above all?" Our Lord stepped forward, answering:

" Every men is created equal,
and above all,
created without sin.
Those that live without sin,
Blessed are you, to you come the fruits of sinless life.
Those that live without pride,
Blessed are, to you come the gifts of heaven.
Those that live without wroth,
Blessed are you, to you comes the gift of kindness.
Those that live without prosecution,
Blessed are you, for you shall be shown the gift of righteousness."

And so, Saint August, who exalted the words of our lord, took him under his care, knowing that the child was the fulfilment of his prophecy. And so, under the guidance of August, Vespasian began to write his own wisdom, learning of the coming of evil, until at the appropriate time, it would be time to proclaim them himself.

(OOC: This article is a Work in Progress)

Castor
Citizen of the World

12:30 PM - Aug 23, 2018 #2

Chapter 4: Vespasian, pupil of August

As the Lord had spoken to the people, they raised for him a place aside August. So as to learn more from his seemingly divine knowledge, they came and listened to his words every day. His father eventually came, and seeing his son's work, deemed it time. Thus, upon one day, he said:

You stand aside the man who Foretold your coming.
By his hand, may you know learn what he will teach you.
My son, thou art only by exception. For from the heavens,
you were wrought, and by the womb of your mother alone,
were you born into this mortal world.
Thus it shall be known who walks among thee.
Not a child of the earth, but of the heavens.

And the people gathered looked at awe at the young boy, and asked: "Is it true?" And the Lord nodded and answered:
" It is true. For I was created from the heavens to service you in times of need. A great evil shall descend upon you, as August has predicted. And by my power alone shall it be withheld, if I find the strength how." Then the people clapped and yelled at this herald from heaven, and August nodded, and said: " Then, with my knowledge, I shall aid you."

And thus it came to pass, that August took him as his pupil. And within the walls of innumerable libraries, they learned all they could of the world. And when the lord was eighteen, he spoke to August, and said: " With guidance from thee have I been moulded, learning all I can. Now is the time I shall depart, for my work shall come swiftly, if this evil creeps ever closer to our heartlands." And thus August, now grown old and weary, passed on his final knowledge unto the Lord, and he spoke:

Forsake not, thine command from heaven.
Guard all that thy might,
for thine people shall follow thee when their faith is strong.
They shall place upon you, the care of their worries,
The scorns of all their wrongs,
Their sorrow and all their grief.
They shall seek you to be strong in those times.
That you may deliver them yet from the evil that not only approaches their lands,
But will seek to corrupt their hearts as well.

And with those words, the two departed. August went on his way, until after a year, by weariness, he held his last breath. And his death was mourned throughout the empire, as people flocked to his final resting place. And his remains were laid to rest on a hill outside the city, which was thereafter known as the 'Hill of Saint August'. And to his burial came many people, noble and peasantry alike, The Emperor came to him on the second day, and declared that the day of his death be forever remembered. Then Vespasian came, and looked upon the grave of his teacher. By the grace of the Lord, he was then sainted in immortality, as a patron to scribes, orators, and heralds. And then the Lord emplaced upon the grave a large stone, and engraved therein:

Herein lies AUGUST OF KINALDI.
Wise beyond account.
Teacher of Vespasian.
Keeper of the Lore of the Heavens.

And the Lord declared that August was passed unto heaven, the same as he came from, to guard forever the endless library that lay hidden therein. And the people hailed August, and in his image made grand statues of stone and iron. And they emplaced within his hands the artefacts that he became known for ever after: "The Quill of Wisdom", which they believed wrote forever the truth in Heaven, and the "Book of Heraldry, or of The Coming of the Lord", where he had written down the coming of Vespasian.

Chapter 5: The Coming of the Disciples
When the Lord departed from his teacher, he wandered into the world, searching for men of great strength. In the valley of Do'Suul, he received a second vision from the angel Distinius, who came down upon him again, and said:

Know now that doom is at large within the Empire.
The evil that was foretold has learned of the passing of your teacher.
And without his warning, the people will grow ignorant soon.
Return now therefore to his grave, that you may grant his final rites.
But beware now that the people will heed you as a mocker, for that is your curse.
Know then, that in your plight, there will come a quintet of followers, who shall teach you in warfare,
in healing, and in faith. Heed their words, for in their lore they shall be great.

And thus the Lord answered, saying: " Then I shall go unto my master's grave. And from his guidance, shall I push forth his warnings. That they may be heeded justly." And then, Justinius departed, and the Lord took the long march back to Kinaldi. And thither, as has been told, he laid down the stone engraved, and declared August a saint. And then, for a week, he mourned for his loss. But then, his mother Estil came to him, and said: " Why weep in this inevitable event? Seek not the sorrow that this death bringeth forth in you, but use it to gain strength. My son, who the heavens wrought from me, does thou not desire to help this people?" And the Lord rose in confidence, and nodded: " Thus it shall be. Long may August be remembered! And whence evil descends at last upon this land, defile his grave then will not." And thus, the Lord emplaced upon the grave a curse, so that nought but gentle souls may pass upon it.

And thus, he gathered forth the people who would listen, and he spoke to them of danger, and also of faith and of hope. And the people granted to him great gifts: Andollin, sword of truth, and Nikallatrin, the green armour of Vespasian. And thus, he looked to the people as if a great warrior of old. And thus, came forth people from all corners of the realm. And in their midst, walked Igabon, scholar of Morrim. And he witnessed the speeches of Vespasian, and deemed him wise and powerful, and thus, he placed himself under the service of the Lord. And Vespasian, remembering his vision, realised the coming of Igabon, and placed with him great friendship. And thus, later, others came to him that would follow the Lord in his journey.

First, Gorun came, a powerful warrior, who had heard of the Lord and believed. And thus when he came before the Lord, he kneeled and pledged his sword to the aid of Vespasian. Then, others came. Colliate, a great orator of Kinaldi, came to him, and pledged himself to persuade the people of the city. Then Asteriat, a priest, came forth. He had renounced his old faith, and despaired and in need of guidance, he put himself in the service of the Lord. At last came Unarious, a adventurer and traveller who had come from far, and he heard of the Lord and came into his service.

Thus the Sextet was complete, as the Lord and his disciples put forth their labours into convincing the people of Morrim. And from Igabon, the Lord scribed down all his teachings, and his confessions, and he entrusted Igabon with the 'Keys of the Codex' to protect his book. From Colliate, he learned to speak and orate as non other, and his words clinged to the people unlike before, for his curse was still upon him. From Asteriat, he learned how to organise his followers, and the Patriarchy was established with Asteriat at its head. And from Unarious he learned to send messages around the Empire, and more and more people came to him on top of the Hill of August. Lastly, from Gorun, he learned how to wield weapons, and the knowledge of war from Gorun was unmatched by many. But the Lord saw the desire for blood in the eyes of Gorun, and he spoke to him: " Thou must not take life in pleasure, for all living is dear to me. Thou will relish in the knowledge that evil come undone before thine sword in faith only, not in strength or vengeance." And Gorun, proud as he was, laid down his eyes from the Lord, and he answered: " My sword thou shall have in faith." Thus it was that the first seeds of dissent were planted in Gorun's heart, but in those times, still friendship flourished between him and the Lord, for Vespasian deemed him the mightiest warrior in Morrim.

Then cameth a sight that Vespasian did not foresee, nor had Distinius proclaimed in his vision. For at last, a fair maiden, by the name of Ofillia, came forth from his followers. And whether willed by heaven or nought, Vespasian came upon a spell of bewilderment. For this maiden was beyond any he had seen within his young days, and fairer than any that passed since. And she came into his service, as a healer and teacher. And she thought him all she knew of medicine, and after two years, they passed into marriage. And thither he proclaimed: " The commandments of the heavens have been placed in my hands. But with their blessing, they shall now be enriched with thine commandments, my love. Long may I uphold them, and only if death should taketh me, shall my service to heaven and you be fulfilled, for then I shall labour no more. And if tragedy should struck me, I shall hold thine memory dearer than any other, for thou art fairer than which shall be born ever after." And his disciples celebrated, and the people blessed their union.

And when night passed and all had returned to their home, and the Lord dwelt alone with Ofillia, Distinius descended once more upon him, speaking: "Thine union is just, and we shall bless it. May you long uphold your promise. Let be known that two sons, you shall sire, lord. And that they hold your heritage above anyone else, even those most closest to thee." Then the angel passed for the last time, and he came not thither again. And then, after three more years, there came into fulfilment the promise of Distinius. For Ofillia did indeed sire twins, and the Lord declared them as his heirs, and he named them Albus and Quentin. He thought them all he knew, and from his disciples they received training as he had.

Thus for long years, the Lord and his disciples laboured, until when the Lord was twenty-nine, the evil that approached reached the borders of the Empire. And with his companions, and his following now grown within size of an army, he put forth his commandment:

Cometh now to me, thine Guardian.
For the evil that was foretold, at last has presented itself.
We must put forth our faith and our strength in our defence,
of those who can't defend themselves.

And with his following gathering in Kinaldi, Gorun proclaimed:

With our arms and our lives,
Shall we follow thee, oh
lord of heaven.
For deliverance lieth now with us,
thine followers in faith and army.
May thine sword and commands grant us victory,
over this evil that has long been foretold.

And thus it came to pass, that the Lord, upon his noble steed Nichaloth, flame of the hills, marched forth from Kinaldi,
with a host beyond count. And thus it was begun, the First Voyage of Vespasian. Aside him rode his noble followers, each clad in armour as he was, and behind him, innumerable soldiers and knights marched in their name.

Castor
Citizen of the World

1:03 PM - Sep 08, 2018 #3

Chapter 6: the First Battle

For five days, the Lord and his army marched from Kinaldi, seeking evil whither it sprung up. Then, on the fifth day, Unarious rode for Vespasian in haste.
For he had rode ahead in search of the host of the great darkness that was foretold. And he spoke before the Lord in great peril, speaking:

Be warned, my Lord.
For ahead stands a host of terrible design.
Lead by a foe of unfathomable terror.

But the lord did not relent, and answered:

Then we shall meet this host head-on!
For in faith and strength shall we be victorious.
Be nought afraid, my followers.
For thee carry the weapons of truth, and of light!
And with our mandate from heaven, we shall not waver!

And his soldiers rejoiced, being filled with confidence and strength.
And guided by Unarious, they marched to the Dark Host.
And when they came upon their encampment, the dark leader stepped forth, taunting the Lord.
Foul creatures sprung from his pits.
Dark wolves, endless ghouls, and the like.
their lord stepped out in front of Vespasian.
Speaking with terrible voice:

Thither he has come,
My opponent.
They sayeth thou art descend from heaven.
But thine claim is folly, for it is by the heavens I am commanded.
Behold thine doom, oh Lord from heaven!
For I am Sagarth! Lord of Doom and Fire.
And by my hand, shall thine divinity be undone!

Vespasian stands before this terrible foe, and proclaimed before his followers:

Thine words art filled with lies and deceit.
For thou art nought what thy proclaimeth.
Thou and thine followers have come from the Underworld,
the Dominion of evil.

But Sagarth taunted the Lord still, and thither-fore Vespasian took up his sword, and spoke:

Behold thine demise, dark demon!
For it shall be nought mine but thine doom that be decided hither.
For I am the prophet of the heavens,
I wield the Sword of Truth,
I am clad in armour wrought from the heavens themselves.
Thou shall not come into the realm of my people!
Lest I shall be slain or routed from this plain,
I shall defy thine desires!

And Sagarth, now filled with hatred and blind pride, struck at the Lord. And the followers watched as the two foes disappeared behind a bright white flash.
For a brief few seconds, all the Lord's followers were blinded, struck by this brightest of light.
But then, the light dissipated, and within its centre, stood Vespasian, his sword held high. And Sagarth stood above him, scarred from his blow,
a scar spreading across his face and his right eye.
And the lord stood silent for a few moments, and Sagarth stumbled back before his might, and Vespasian spoke:

Let this be a warning, oh Dark Demon!
For thou hath tested the strength of the heavens.
And in thine folly, thou have been deemed failing.

Sagarth stood in pain for a few seconds, until in his anger he lashed out a final time:

Curse thee and thine kin!
Thine powers come from heaven,
but it shall run dry soon enough!
Be warned, that ere thine designs are fulfilled,
betrayal shall come to thee!

And with that warning, Sagarth fled from the plains, and his subjects followed.
Thus ended the first battle of Vespasian's Voyages.
And his Disciples rose up aside him, and Colliate held up his sword, and spoke:

Hail thee, oh Lord of Light.
He who would vanquish evil.
Lord of the Heavens,
and our lord.
Hail thee!

And the other disciples took up their sword as well, and all hailed Vespasian. And upon the place whither Vespasian had stood against Sagarth and wounded him,
they placed a giant stone, engraved with a mural of that event, and beneath they scripted:

Hither, our Lord, Vespasian,
Stood solely against the lord of Darkness, the demon Sagarth.
And left victoriously, having scarred Sagarth beyond healing.
May this event stand as a testimony to our Lord's divine nature.

Chapter 7: The Emperor's blessing

After the battle, Vespasian's host returned to Kinaldi victorious, confident the evil was held at bay for now. Thither, they were greeted by the Imperial Guard, who spoke:
" The Lord from the Heaven returns!" Upon this notion, the Emperor and his court called for Vespasian and his disciples.
Thither the Lord went, and before the Emperor he knelt. The Emperor rose from his throne, and spoke:

Kneel not before me,
oh Lord of Heaven.
For I have seen thine work.
From upon thine crib,
I have witnessed thine divinity.
And now that thou hath defeated evil,
I shall emplace at last my trust upon thee.
Let it be known that thine truth and faith,
shall be henceforth the only faith upon my realm.

And so, with the Emperor's blessing, Vespasian's faith was instituted throughout Kinaldi.
Unarious, leader of the Patriarchy, was officiated by the Emperor, becoming the first of the High Priests of Kinaldi.
Colliate became the Imperial Inquisitor, responsible for spreading Vespasian's truth throughout Morrim.
And thus, the Lord and his disciples became a part of the Imperial Court.