Alignment Lawful Neutral, primarily, with a Chaotic streak
Social Class Sovereign
Occupation Sotoan Council Member- Former Member of Auberons Destiny
❧ physical appearance
Aniketos has been blessed with great beauty, for which he is notorious. Though he is in his late twenties, he goes to great pains to maintain the appearance of flowering youth: he keeps his chin closely shaven, his skin pale and his body limber. This also results in a sort of androgynous appearance, for though the structure of his face is clearly masculine in its boldness, his bones are still fine and his manner still delicate. His nose is thin and pointed, but it does not protrude too far from his high-boned cheeks. His lips are full and bright, sitting over a small, slightly indented chin, which rises from a well-defined jaw. Perhaps most noticeable about him, however, are his eyes, which are wide and amber, appearing gold as honey in the sunlight. They are shaded under long lashes and delicately arched eyebrows. His hair is tawny-brown and curly and usually kept at chin-length. He keeps it clean but intentionally lets it look artfully unruly, to keep with his youthful appearance.
Aniketos is leanly muscular, with a body like a sliver of moon, but still powerful. He is about 59, with a long neck. He often stands in contrapposto, with one hip jutting out to the side.
He is known for his light-footed walk, and for going about with a jacket unbuttoned, a cape fashionably off-centre or a loose shirt sliding down to reveal a graceful white shoulder. In this way, he always seems to be half-dressed, a look he propagates with great care- he buys the most fanciful clothes he can find and then wears them casually, attempting to reveal his body to the world in a way that seems accidental. People tend to find this either entrancing or ridiculous, or some combination of both. When talking to someone else, he tends to tilt his head to the left, lowering his eyelashes and smiling attractively if he is attempting to persuade them to do something.
However, he is not always foppish and playful. He can change his demeanor entirely within moments- becoming serious or angry in a way that is most surprising. In such a state, his pale face more resembles marble, his eyes smoulder like embers. He holds himself differently, seeming to tower and stare down on others. His voice, so carefully-phrased and playful, can become threateningly low and firm, with each well-chosen word stabbing as precise as a stiletto.
When dressing for a serious occasion, he tends to choose tighter-fitting clothes which are cut to accentuate his shoulders with sharp lines. Navy, red and gray are his favourite colours for such clothing. This has a way of making his youthfulness dissipate; Aniketos can thus enter a mode where all boyish-ness is forgotten and authority and ambition take over.
Armour (See picture below). Aniketos' armour is made of tough leather. It comprises of a cuirass, a cingulum with several layers of hanging leather straps, epaulette-like spaulders, greaves, vambraces, leather gloves, boots and a cape. The leather is all dyed deep indigo and embellished primarily with silver with some details in gold. A six-pointed Hesperés star is emblazoned across his chest, and below that, the Sotoan goddesses of sea and wind carrying banners. Aniketos' cape is a deeper indigo than the rest of his armour, nearly black, and edged with gold and silver.
Weapons He normally carries a knife with him, for the sake of convenience and protection, though he has many knives to choose from. When heading out to battle, he carries a longsword, named Eiletheia, which is elegantly cast with knotted designs on the hilt and handle. Similar designs have been etched up the blade.
However, his preferred weapon is a bow, given to him by Shrista. It is name Iokheira, after a famed Sotoan heroine, and is made of indigo-dyed wood, carved with delicate leaves. Moonstones are inlaid on the wood and the bow is capped with mithril at either end. Aniketos was also gifted a matching quiver, complete with the Hesperés star embossed on the dyed leather.
Aniketos' personality has changed a lot over the past few years. He used to be a most unruly character, with an affection for drinking, mischief and promiscuity. He has a history of making a fool or hero of himself while drunk, stories of which have become old favourites in conversations about the politician. The Sotoan people have a hard time forgetting the time he and a bunch of friends crashed an old flame's banquet and stole half the silver cups off the table, to no protest from his former lover. Much speculation has gone into the fate of those silver cups, but the most solid theory (and the true one) was that he gave them out as party favours as a banquet of his own. Some who remember a bit farther back will recall the time in the army he led a phony raid on the other half of the camp, an incident which resulted in a lot of panic, seven injuries and a lot of spilled soup. Those with a truly good memory will recall the rumour told by his closest friends, which is that one of the first times Aniketos ever got drunk as a teenager, he fell out of a tree and broke his arm. There is also a lot of speculation that Aniketos had something to do with the pair of legs that appeared above the production of Argis in a theatre in Reine. When Aniketos is faced with these stories, he tends to handle it as he does with many things: with composure and humour and careful replies.
He also has a history of intimacy with people of all sorts of genders and races. In this way Aniketos has never discriminated, the reason for this being that his lust does not grow out of an entirely selfish desires but a true curiosity about people and a vivid, if brief, affection for the ones he likes. Sex is merely one way of expressing such interest and admiration. Aniketos is a good ally to those who have interested and amused him; he hands out favours like pennies and is quick to compliment quick-thinking, beauty, wit and a good sense of humour, even if these are turned against him in the form of insults.
The downside of this has been a lukewarm attitude towards lasting relationships, for he often gets tired of people once they lose their initial surprises. Thus there are few that have stayed with him for years, and those that have aren't always treated well, but almost as commodities.
However, things have changed. Aniketos has stopped drinking in great quantities, he is less wildly social and less unruly. What has replaced this is a relative self-assuredness in several choices in his life, namely his love for the drow woman, Shrista Ssapavin Barriurden and his hatred of another drow, Neriasis. Rashness and unreliability have been replaced with careful, focused intent on these people. In the case of Shrista, he shows an exceeding gentleness and is more lacking in composure than ever with her and whenever speaking of her. In the case of Neriasis, he is carefully calculated, putting his renowned tactical abilities to use with obsessive thoughts about how to bring down this enemy. More generally, Aniketos has learned how to be untrusting, at times even paranoid, and how to treat himself with moderation. He is more tired, more upset by certain memories and a fair bit quieter and subdued in conversation. He has turned time from socialisation into time for paperwork and thought and Shrista. Rumours about him have died out as he has become more private, though it is common knowledge that it is the mysterious drow woman who has caused this change.
Some things have not truly changed however. Aniketos has a temper: not for everyday insults and honest accidents, but for intentional malice, ignorance and stupidity. His temper is destructive and and well-planned, for he is aided by tactical and political abilities.
Aniketos also continues to be a staunch lover of Soto. He has a strong devotion to the country and its people and is quite adept at winning people over with such rhetoric. His actions are often controversial but his proposals tend to win through and the public often find themselves to be in support of whatever actions he performs, even if only in hindsight. One of Aniketos' most famous actions was the raid launched on a camp of Ashokan refugees in the winter of 5AR. The raid was successful in that it caused the deaths of many refugees and the dispersal of the rest, and was originally shocking and controversial but has often been spoken of favourably since, if only out of admiration for Aniketos' talent for military work.
Another famous action was Aniketos' deposition of the corrupt general Gilead Saturninus Barillus. This was even more well-received, especially since it resulted in an overall reform to root out the web of corruption once inherent in Soto's military.
❧ political aspirations
Aniketos envisions Soto as something greater than she is today. He believes that she is deserving of more land, of more prestige, of more fame for her military and navy. He also would love for people to see him at the head of such actions, to gain fame and a sort of immortality for doing so. He also loves the excitement of bombastic actions, which sometimes results in decisions that are more flashy than they really need to be. This is where a lot of his work and speculation has gone. Though smaller works bore him, Aniketos does try to keep up, but is often forgetful of paperwork and particularities. Aniketos operates on the assumption that cohering to legality and common morality are optional when great works are at hand, which explains a lot of his works.
- Angkar Aniketos was friendly towards Angkar when Hemlock was king, given that they had a positive relationship. However, the recent upsets in the country have hims unsteady and suspicious. He is liable to learn to trust Angkar again and to give Queen Eulalia a chance, as the country does such profitable trade with Soto and is too far away to be potential property.
- Ashoka Through interactions with Ashoka's Moghul, Orion, Aniketos has learned to be suspicious of Ashoka. He is ideologically opposed to the authoritarian government and wishes there was something he could do to bring it down, but is currently powerless to do anything about it. He thus treats Ashoka with an outward respect, but he is careful and attentive to any vague rumour of military movements from the country, as he fears that there may be secret intentions against Soto. However, due to an odd friendship with the country's High Inquisitor, Sophia, he is less paranoid about this than before.
- Morrim Aniketos maintains an outward friendliness towards Morrim, but it is a cool, distant friendship for him. He was against supporting Morrim through her period of famine. Publicly, the reason for this was that Soto has matters of her own to devote time and money too, but the real reason, which is occasionally speculated but not well known, is that Aniketos has a far-off visions of expanding into Morrim, at least in part. Thus it is in his interests to keep the country weak if possible, and to make no explicit statements of friendship.
Aniketos was born to Kyrillos and Euanthe Hesperés, who were made doubly wealthy by their union. Kyrillos was a respected general, part of Auberons Destiny and Euanthe was from a merchant family with holdings on gold and silver mines throughout Soto. Aniketos was an only child- Euanthe tried to conceive several times after his birth but this always wound up in miscarriage. As a result, she cherished Aniketos, fulfilling his every whim and letting him run rampant, except for those moments when she randomly clamped down on his excessive freedom for fear of his wellbeing. Throughout Aniketos' early childhood, Kyrillos was often away and so Aniketos grew up being unfamiliar with him. He fostered a dissatisfaction with his father and a vague contention with his mother, mostly because he resented those moments where she mothered him too much. When Kyrillos died when Aniketos was 10, he didn't seem to be too bothered and never made much of an effort to find out about the man. The remorse for his blasé reaction to the loss of his father has never quite caught up with him, but occasionally Aniketos experiences a flourishing curiosity and tries a little bit to find out about his father. This often results in a vague sense of disappointment when Aniketos finds that his father is not who he would want him to be.
He grew up in Reine and thus he knows the various hideouts and niches in the city from his various escapades over the years. From a young age, he was very outspoken and demanding, sometimes openly disagreeing with his tutors or refusing to attend lessons at all. He was popular and influential among his peers, who loved his daring and anti-authoritarian nature. He discovered drink at a young age, as well as sex, and flourished greatly off of those two activities.
By the age of 16, Aniketos was involved in Auberon's Destiny, and was spent several years as a soldier in various encampments around the country. At the age of 19 he was named successor by his lover, General Sera Ramios (a position which is synonymous with guildmaster), who then made a bid for the Council. The bid failed, at first. While Ramios continued his efforts to become a Councillor, Aniketos was involved in training exercises in the ruins of Solibar. Finally, Ramios was successful and, at age 22, Aniketos became general and guildmaster of Auberon's Destiny. He had hoped for excitement but was thoroughly disappointed, as Soto was no warfaring nation. So, he enjoyed the other benefits of his position- power, sex, and relative freedom from disapproving superiors. He also learned to be a powerful speaker, drawing on the lessons he was taught as a child and applying this to practical situations. He was adept at manipulating the system, finding out who was important and currying favour with them, sometimes even getting into their bed to gain power. With these various skills, he managed to get elected as a Councillor at the age of 24, a job with more benefits but less excitement. He has often tried to stir up some sort of conflict- he is forever scheming, sometimes trying to pit people against each other or trying to climb to a position of higher power. And, if he is lucky one day, he may be able to come up with something much, much more dangerous.
- At the very end of the winter of 5AR, Aniketos led a raid against the Ashokan refugees that had taken up residence in Soto. The raid was successful, though Aniketos' friend Lord Rathurn was killed. Aniketos was also struck in the calf by a magical arrow while fighting the refugees' leader, Yangin Kanruh. The initial wound nearly felled him, though he continued fighting out of sheer strength of will. He refused to remove the arrow for quite some time, insisting on taking on other duties (such as interrogating a prisoner, Dalim Wolfborn, for information regarding Evalee Aislin Scott, who betrayed the raiders' cause to the refugees) and fell ill with a fever soon after it was removed. In the throes of this fever, Aniketos nearly died, wandering as he did through scenes of darkness and fear. He came out of this, however, with a renewed determination to achieve his goals for his life and for his country.
- Earlier that year, in the summer, Aniketos met, by a chance, a drow named Shrista Barriurden. They slept with each other, though Aniketos thought it unlikely that they'd meet again. They did, however, and Aniketos decided to hire her as his bodyguard. She was present for the raid on the refugees and Aniketos' brush with death. The two eventually became rather close- Aniketos gifted her a set of armour emblazoned with the Hesperés crest, she gave him his bow and some seeds for the Star Lantern flower which grows deep in the Underdark.
- Aniketos and Shrista adopted three kittens, which are by now fully grown. They are as follows:
- Lady Bae'qualnylene Luna Illiamna'stin Moist Aubergine Agrippa Piddles Hesperés A tortoiseshell tabby she-cat, known for slight problems with incontinence, including peeing on Shrista the first time she was held. Tends to wreak havoc with Elagabalus' help, though the two don't always get along well with each other.
- Lord Hieronymus Vasilios Sputum Avocado Theophylaktos Agrippa Hesperés A gray tom with blue eyes, known for making horrible hacking and coughing noises at inconvenient times and places during the day and night. Tends to be aloof and lazy, ignored the other two when it suits him.
- Lord Elagabalus Albatross Agrippa Blowchunks Valentinus Mildew Shar Hesperés An amber-coloured tom, known for vomiting in inconvenient places, such as shoes, bedspreads, clothing and. Tends to team up with Bae'qualnylene while also being a lover of attention who will throw himself in front of your feet to get you to pat him.
- Aniketos led a violent takedown of the General Gilead Saturninus Barillus in the summer of 6AR and following this, successfully rooted out corruption in the Sotoan military.
- In the following autumn, Shrista and Aniketos fought enough for her to leave, being led away by Kaahn, her demon. She was pregnant with Aniketos' child, a fact which Aniketos was not sure of until a few months later. Over that winter, Aniketos turned towards heavy drinking and sex to deal with his problems and only rose midway through summer.
- He had given up hope of ever seeing Shrista again when a rival of his, Tekun, appeared at his door and announced that Shrista had been kidnapped by Argos' guildmaster, Neriasis. This occurred ostensibly because of a disagreement between Aniketos and Neriasis. Aniketos and Tekun managed to save Shrista and banish Kaahn, but by then the baby had been born stillborn. Aniketos took Shrista into his care and, after some time, recommenced his relationship with her. His hatred for Neriasis simmers on, waiting for the right moment to boil over.
- Aniketos' alcohols of choice are wine, brandy and port. When he's really trying to get drunk, he tends to choose whisky, sometimes rum or tequila if he's feeling adventurous.
- He has a bit of a sweet tooth, and a soft spot for fruit. Surprisingly, he enjoys quite simple foods, especially seafood soups/chowders with crusty bread.
- His favourite colour is purple, which he likes to combine with gold. These colours really go well with his skin and eyes.
- Birthday: March 15th
- Some appropriate music:
This profile has been approved by Shadow!