Hot idle compensator?

Hot idle compensator?

March 21st, 2010, 4:55 pm #1

I have a C5ZF-D. It does not have a hot idle compensator apparatus on the front of the choke horn.

Is it likely that someone switched the top or could it have come either way?

I have seen at least two pictures where the carb has that device. Not sure if I have seen any where it doesn't. I did see one picture of a C5ZF-C (for a 4spd) that did not have it.
Last edited by boomyal on March 21st, 2010, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 21st, 2010, 5:54 pm #2

See the two holes in my picture, one is the air cleaner stud hole and the other smaller hole is the hole for the hot idle compensator. If you look into the hot idle compensator hole and there is no hole actually going through and out the bottom of your carb then your carb top would be correct for your carb body. I.E.,, no hole out the bottom of your carb= no valve on the carb top and vise-versa ( in a perfect world anyways )

My pony carb ( C6ZF-B ) has the valve on the carb top but if you look closely at my picture, there is no hole going through and out the bottom of my carb. I will speculate that this carb was built this way intentionally by pony at the request of the customer who originally ordered it.

I am actually happy my carb does not have the hot idle compensator anyways,,, and since my carb body is a non-compensator body I took off my compensator valve. I will just call it smoother/more airflow .

I do not know the reasoning why some have the hot idle compensator and why some do not unfortunately. All I do know is some have it and some do not.

[/IMG]
Last edited by Kandalf on March 21st, 2010, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 21st, 2010, 8:48 pm #3

...both those holes and neither go anywhere. They are both deadends. So I guess my top matches the body. I guess like you said, some had the compensator and some didn't.

Lee
Lee

March 21st, 2010, 9:57 pm #4

My C5SF-A has it...N/M

March 22nd, 2010, 4:00 am #5

I have a C5ZF-D. It does not have a hot idle compensator apparatus on the front of the choke horn.

I have seen at least two pictures where the carb has that device. Not sure if I have seen any where it doesn't. I did see one picture of a C5ZF-C (for a 4spd) that did not have it.

Ed Jenkins

Ford Galaxie Club of America member #3350
1966 Galaxie 500 Convertible built in Chicago Illinois, has a HIPO 390, 780 Holley, built C6, Crites Aluminum radiator, California rear floor pan, and a rust free frame from the south. Work continues.

Please visit and revisit the Carb Forum athttp://network54.com/forum/88781

March 22nd, 2010, 11:44 am #6

My C5ZF-C does not have one.

Duke
66 Sunbeam Tiger
Fort Leavenworth, KS

March 22nd, 2010, 10:41 pm #7

what is the hot idle compensator for and how does it work ? my custom 1.12 on my 289 has the hot idle compensator on it, i just rebuilt a stock 1.08 from a orig 1965 cyclone and it does not have one. do i even need it ? can i purchase a top cover from a 4100 w/o compensator and replace the top that contains one ?

March 26th, 2010, 1:05 am #8

......it helps to lean the idle fuel mix when the engine is hot to help with Hot idle.

You could swap tops if you want too, but its better to have the idle compensator.

Ed Jenkins

Ford Galaxie Club of America member #3350
1966 Galaxie 500 Convertible built in Chicago Illinois, has a HIPO 390, 780 Holley, built C6, Crites Aluminum radiator, California rear floor pan, and a rust free frame from the south. Work continues.

Please visit and revisit the Carb Forum athttp://network54.com/forum/88781