Waterloo & Sponsorship

Waterloo & Sponsorship

August 31st, 2009, 7:57 am #1

Has there ever been a more truthful thread then the one below.

We as a club did nothing to promote the Waterloo, Cowboy is right.
I don't blame them for pulling out, they got no extra exposure and I am sure no extra revenue from their association with the football club.

The meet the manager evening and ground launch events were pathetic and I am sure the oweners of the Waterloo who parted with the cash had two words in their head - amateurish outfit!

I believe we are the only club in this league without a major shirt sponsor - pathetic, yet Camp Ramsden and His Band Of Merry Men, cite the economic slow downand recession as proving difficult to get investment - rubbish, how come every other club has a main sponsor and we don't.

The reason is other club have the right people in the right jobs mixing in the right circles going out earning sponsorship, where our bunch sit n their hands in the golf club expecting people to approach them.

To the Waterloo, fair play to you, the club failed you as flagship sponsors, they never did rnough to promote you, it is sad that the partnership ended but not surprising, our board should hang its head in shame at losing such a valuable and local business.

Poor Showing, will lessons be learned, I doubt it!

I wont put my name, as Im scared of you knowing wh
I wont put my name, as Im scared of you knowing wh

August 31st, 2009, 7:33 pm #2

Watch this space i'll put money on a new sponor being named in the next 7 days, but whoever it is Mr Hooper i'll bet you'll have something negative to say.

Gordan Greenidge
Gordan Greenidge

August 31st, 2009, 7:45 pm #3

a sponsor for what you obviously know what it is then?

whispering death
whispering death

August 31st, 2009, 8:10 pm #4

Watch this space i'll put money on a new sponor being named in the next 7 days, but whoever it is Mr Hooper i'll bet you'll have something negative to say.
can we be negative now?
you must be a boardie with all the inside information
dont go spouting off its some sort of triumph and we should all rejoice
the season is 3 weeks old
other clubs had their sponsors in place before the start of the season
its called forward planning
bet weve got someone at a discount rate just to get anyone in
will you treat them as shabbily as you did the waterloo?

who have we got then? woolworths

Tufty
Tufty

August 31st, 2009, 9:16 pm #5

You have to ask what does any sponsor get out of a shirt deal? The sponsorship is often more a gesture of goodwill than a way of increasing the advertising and sales of a firm.
If The Waterloo suddenly thought that people would flock to the pub due to them sponsoring the club, then they were not being realistic.
The change of ground venue is obviously not to their liking. They probably thought people would stop off at The Waterlooo on the way to the College.

This is the problem most firms will face when approached, so unless they want to sponsor the club as a good gesture, then it will be hard to attract a sponsor.

When I undertook the commercial mamanger role, the club was playing in The Conference, had gates on average of about 650, had just been to Wembley twice and were playing Wigan in a FA Cup game that was going to be on BBC.
It was a struggle to flog advertising then. That was with someone devoting every day of the summer out and about ringing firms and visitng them. Its a full time job.
It will be harder now, with gates of 120 and playing in a standard not much better than a local Saturday league and the factor of currently not playing in the Town of Runcorn itself.
The new stadium will help slightly, but even then, its still going to be a struggle to flog ground adverts. (the cost of having the board made on top of the advert space cost itself is also a factor).
One thing that was in favour, was keeping the sponsors informed of events, giving them a couple of free seating tickets a couple of times during the season for them to bring guests along. It proved beneficial, rather than only contacting them when you wanted the money for next years advert.

Confirmation of reply: