The Time Has Come...................................

The Time Has Come...................................

April 24th, 2009, 1:18 pm #1

I feel the time has come for a re-brand, a fresh impetus and a final push.

Look as it stands the club is dying lets get real about it, the fan base has dropped off alarmingly as has Membership Numbers, Season Ticket holders etc
We need to reignite the ambition and involvement that occurred when the club first arrived on the scene, we need to recreate that moment and only a re-brand will do it.

Runcorn FCs history does not belong to us, we should not use it, it is a mill stone around our necks, it wrongly increases fans expectaions and tarnishes us with all that was bad with the Original Runcorn FC, we need a clean break, it is the only way to progress.
I remember during the euphoria of the ground announcement, Starship, Spenner & Runnerglyn and others when door to door, street to street all over Runcorn promoting the club and posting flyers, what has happened since nothing.
Most of the people would I assume have done one of two things, binned it or thought, Mmmmmmm sounds interesting lets see what will happen, well those people too have probably binned it as well now through a lack of interest as nothing has happened and there has been no follow up newsletters or announcements, to the people of Runcorn.

Same Old Runcorn Promise The World But Actually Produce Nothing!

All flannel and no substance.

The club crest (Runcorn Coat Of Arms) needs to be removed, a new easier on the eye, easier to sell and promote Club Badge needs to brought into being.
A badge that incorporates for example the Bridge, Ship Canal, The Castle, The Linnet, ICI, all instantly recognisable landmarks that are affiliated to Runcorn.
A club mascot and suit could be created, for some bizarre reason kids love them, but then the club is not all about the ageing fanbase we currently have, we need to get new lifeblood interested, the free season tickets for under 16 is a great idea badly implemented, this scheme will reach fruition until we return to Runcorn and you can bet your bottom dollar they will scrap the scheme by then.

Maybe even change the club colours or incorporate the current ones in a different format, squares, hoops, chevron etcsomething unique and belonging to us, dont steal Runcorn FCs history like wearing Blue & White Quarters, lets create our own history.

A rebrand, a rebirth might reignite the initial interest that occurred at the beginning, it might give the Ground Fund a much needed boost seen as it is frozen at £75,000 which is a pathetic amount, my post might appear drastic but drastic action is needed, too many loyal and money paying fans have walked away, we dont have an I.D or a Brand or simple enough logos and badges to sell to the masses, we cannot continue to say we have been born out of the Original Runcorn FC, everyone I talks too just seems to attach Runcorn Linnets to the Runcorn Club who passed around through Widnes and Prescot and now to Witton, no one is going to give money to a travelling nomad which is why I think we are in the situation we are in.
We never separated ourselves from the old club, we put no distance between us we have borrowed or stolen their name, colours, identity, history and unfortunately on the board carried over people like Hedley Edwards.

Marky B
Marky B

April 24th, 2009, 3:47 pm #2

The board would rather turn away fans and volunteers whos ideas arent in their way of thinking, than utilise such people.
They have lost and put off more helpers and willing officials than they have gained them. This has reflected on the terraces and on the forums, with faces and names know to all, now hidden away though non-attendance and lack of interest.
But hey, thats the way they want it, the way they intended it to be.
A select club for the select few who stand together and abuse match officials and opposition players alike, week in and week out. People who consider themselves better supporters than others,as they continued to follow the club at Widnes and Prescot.
They would be quite happy for the little clique to be the only fans who attened, as long as they have thier own little club to attend each Saturday.
They dont need a social club, as they dont have a social life. They never even buy a drink in a social club, so why develop one on a new stadium?

This summer will be one big shock, as half of them people with programme adverts and the like will see the reality and wont invest, why should they.
Admission prices will rise to compensate for lost fans, but the little clique wont mind another 50p per week if it keeps the dissenters away!

Perhaps its time that supporters with that bit of interest and concern went away and formed our own team and own club, it cant be that hard given that the 6 clueless monkeys achieved it.

Urkey
Urkey

April 24th, 2009, 4:37 pm #3

Maybe a good idea to go away and form your own club then, see how easy it is eh?
The club IS a new club born from the i.d of the old club. It was formed by fans (not just board members)the colours, badge, club name, playing venue even the then Team Manager were decided by fans at the early meetings up the Castle Hotel, the same fans, who watched the old team and who didnt want the old team just to wither and die and be lost for ever. Just like the fans of A.F.C Wimbledon (who lost there club under different circumstances) fans didnt want to lose there team, they set up there own club and kept the links to there old club, they even have the F.A Cup win in 1988 listed in there honours list, rightly so too. Speaking for myself if the club were wearing different colours, had a different crest and had no links to the old club I wouldnt be watching them, why would I? I may aswell watch someone else. Barry you contradicted yourself when you said in your post "I came back because it was a new club" How can you go back to a new club? If a new club is what you wanted then F.C United were formed a year before us and A.F.C. Liverpool a year after us, are you really telling me that the fact the club was formed from the ties of Runcorn A.F.C (you have made posts of a glorifying past to the club on the official forum) had nothing whatsoever to do with you taking an intrest in the linnets?
Runcorn Mafia why change colours? The Colours Yellow and Green have always been linked with the town, us, Runcorn Highfield and now Runcorn RLFC all wear Yellow and green. The blue and white quarters are another link to the old club and was voted for by fans on the forum (won by a landslide!)infact there was a bit of uproar when the club said they may not be able to get the quarters and suggested to the fans they be allowed to go with an all white shirt. Again if you want somthing different support someone else.
Just for info as there are a few who probably never knew, the club changed the crest when they were playing in the autoquest, they had a linnet, simple in design and looked ok if im honest, did it attract anymore supporters? Nope. Before we left Canal St we had a name change, and even incorporated black into the team colours, did it attract any more supporters? Nope. You can go on as much as you want about Brand, but football will always be a traditionalists sport. How many of us get annoyed when watching Sky Sports coverage with there stance that football never existed before the premier league?
As for young supporters, well I stand behind the goals and there are 2 lads who Ive only noticed this season, they are about 15 and 13, very vocal and they seem to enjoy watching us. They did the sponsored walk last week. Somtimes they bring mates with them which is great. Also last week, not sure which youth centre it was think it was Halton Brook, they were at the game, they got to take penalties on the pitch at half time, hopefully there all future supporters. We have mascots at 80 percent of our home games and these kids seem to come back. Again future supporters. The junior season ticket will only be benificial to the club when we are back playing in Runcorn which I beleive will happen, not because we are "sucking upto MPs" but because we have people on the board who make things happen. Although to be fair a bit of sucking upto MPs is a must, these people know how to open doors into funding bodies and will have a big say when it comes to planning permission, so I cant see why anyone would have a problem with the club talking to MPs.

I wont put my name, as Im scared of you knowing wh

April 24th, 2009, 9:07 pm #4

Get your facts right Urkey, the fans didn't choose the 1st team manager i believe certain board members did!!!!!

Urkey
Urkey

April 25th, 2009, 9:16 am #5

LOL! If you were at the early meetings (which you quite obviously wasnt) at the Castle then you would recall the then interim board asking the fans (the trust membership hadnt even been introduced then)if they would like them to ask Caz to take the reigns or if they would like to open the position. It was voted for fully that caz be offered the post so the board went to see if he would be intrested. Fact!

Ste Biggy
Ste Biggy

April 25th, 2009, 12:32 pm #6

That is absoloutley true, no other name was ever mentioned in reguards to a manager and Carragher was voted for 100% by all at the meetings, as was every descision that was made in the clubs formative stages, including the famous " we should be playing at Warrington town " debate.

We looked at 3 grounds, Prescott cables, Witton Albion and Warrington Town, each were looked at in great detail with reguards of cost, lenthgh of lease, advertising etc etc and upon voting, Witton Albion came out as overwhelming winners. At the time Warrington town wanted close to £1000 a game in rent, Witton asked for £300 without flodlights and £400 with flodlights.

Yet people still complain that we should have played at Warrington, as we may have got another 2000 supporters at Warrington.

April 25th, 2009, 2:36 pm #7

Is considerably more than £400 now though

Cowboy
Cowboy

April 26th, 2009, 8:29 am #8

Maybe a good idea to go away and form your own club then, see how easy it is eh?
The club IS a new club born from the i.d of the old club. It was formed by fans (not just board members)the colours, badge, club name, playing venue even the then Team Manager were decided by fans at the early meetings up the Castle Hotel, the same fans, who watched the old team and who didnt want the old team just to wither and die and be lost for ever. Just like the fans of A.F.C Wimbledon (who lost there club under different circumstances) fans didnt want to lose there team, they set up there own club and kept the links to there old club, they even have the F.A Cup win in 1988 listed in there honours list, rightly so too. Speaking for myself if the club were wearing different colours, had a different crest and had no links to the old club I wouldnt be watching them, why would I? I may aswell watch someone else. Barry you contradicted yourself when you said in your post "I came back because it was a new club" How can you go back to a new club? If a new club is what you wanted then F.C United were formed a year before us and A.F.C. Liverpool a year after us, are you really telling me that the fact the club was formed from the ties of Runcorn A.F.C (you have made posts of a glorifying past to the club on the official forum) had nothing whatsoever to do with you taking an intrest in the linnets?
Runcorn Mafia why change colours? The Colours Yellow and Green have always been linked with the town, us, Runcorn Highfield and now Runcorn RLFC all wear Yellow and green. The blue and white quarters are another link to the old club and was voted for by fans on the forum (won by a landslide!)infact there was a bit of uproar when the club said they may not be able to get the quarters and suggested to the fans they be allowed to go with an all white shirt. Again if you want somthing different support someone else.
Just for info as there are a few who probably never knew, the club changed the crest when they were playing in the autoquest, they had a linnet, simple in design and looked ok if im honest, did it attract anymore supporters? Nope. Before we left Canal St we had a name change, and even incorporated black into the team colours, did it attract any more supporters? Nope. You can go on as much as you want about Brand, but football will always be a traditionalists sport. How many of us get annoyed when watching Sky Sports coverage with there stance that football never existed before the premier league?
As for young supporters, well I stand behind the goals and there are 2 lads who Ive only noticed this season, they are about 15 and 13, very vocal and they seem to enjoy watching us. They did the sponsored walk last week. Somtimes they bring mates with them which is great. Also last week, not sure which youth centre it was think it was Halton Brook, they were at the game, they got to take penalties on the pitch at half time, hopefully there all future supporters. We have mascots at 80 percent of our home games and these kids seem to come back. Again future supporters. The junior season ticket will only be benificial to the club when we are back playing in Runcorn which I beleive will happen, not because we are "sucking upto MPs" but because we have people on the board who make things happen. Although to be fair a bit of sucking upto MPs is a must, these people know how to open doors into funding bodies and will have a big say when it comes to planning permission, so I cant see why anyone would have a problem with the club talking to MPs.
Jon,

The old club was dead. Remember the good times, yes. After you've tasted the honey of Wembley then the end of Canal St, prostituting ourselves around the North West, relegation and ultimately humiliating defeats take their toll. Some fans voted with their feet and went to Runcorn Town, others did an incredible job of forming a new club. The idea of a new club for the town prompted me to make 80 mile round trips for home games. The idea that things would change, that it would genuinely be a fans club. Why not FC United? Why not AFC Liverpool? Well I grew up in Runcorn. Frankly, I'm not a United fan so don't care about FC United's ideals and AFC Liverpool...I can afford the real thing should I want to.

In the beginning, the fans club concept worked and indeed many decisions were made by the fans for the fans. However, power corrupts and I think you'll struggle to find a fan who believes that the original ideals are still followed. People who were prominent in season one and two are GONE. Lost forever, I suspect. Why do you think that is? Why isn't Spenner still a regular? Why did New Linnet give up? You rarely see Mike Goodier at matches nowadays. You tell me that any of them DIDNT have something to offer over and ABOVE what we have now.

The reality is that the club needs new ideas and to embrace new people. The clique that is the board (and don't pretend it isn't) just fails to inspire people to get involved. I'm sorry to say it but for us to progress we've got to move on a step from the Chairman shouting vitriolic abuse at the ref from behind the goal, from a community development officer abusing away fans, from board members putting personal interests before those of the club, from publicly abusing their own fans on the clubs website.

I suspect we'll get the usual "we don't give a f**k" what you say replies on here from nameless cowards but it's difficult to argue with much of what Concerned Fan, Runcorn Mafia et al are saying. It's time for TRUST MEMBERS to think like that. Think about the sustainability of the club and not about who will play left back in the cup final. I'm not criticising them just begging them to look a little deeper and see what is happening.

Urkey
Urkey

April 26th, 2009, 3:57 pm #9

"The clique that is the board (and don't pretend it isn't)"
Barry please dont tell me what thoughts I may or may not have, just because your views differ from mine doesnt mean yours (or mine)should be imposed. They are views and we are entitled to have them.
As for your post, well it was a bit off the mark with what the original post was about (the rebranding of the club) but I will put my views across anyhow.
The fans who dont come no more. I will mention the three you mentioned. Mike Goodier as far as Im aware is still keen and doesnt go as often because he works and because of his commitments with hcr. Yes he has plenty to offer and has been taken up on his offers in the past. Has he stood for the board? No.
New Linnet. He was just that a new fan, somthing which the club needs to be attracting, new fans aint hard to attract if you have a successfull team on the pitch (its easier supporting a team thats winning) the hard part is keeping hold of them when all isnt well on the pitch. He traveled to games from merseyside (dont know exactly where)and in the end if im honest think that the setting up of afc liverpool was great for him, it was linked to the team he supported, was nearer to home and obviously a club on the up. That said I also know he wasnt too impressed with the in fighting that was going on at our club (from both sides)around the time of the 2007 agm.
Spenner. Well without wishing to offend (its up to all 3 to come and post otherwise) you have to ask was he commited? When I asked if he was going to stand for election he said no as he couldnt commit (nothing wrong with that) the time needed. He was then asked to join the ground group, which he did before then backing away from that decision stating that he couldnt work with the other people involved. Maybe its just me but if I felt there were people who were on a sub group who wearnt going to get anything done id make sure I was on that sub group kicking there ass and making sure things were getting done. As for a supporter well he didnt appear (not that i saw anyhow)till the business end of the first season, again a team thats doing well will attract new supporters, and I think ive only saw him at 1 maybe 2 games this season, when things on the pitch arent so rosey.
It will be intresting to see who is at and who isnt at the vodkat cup final.
The only thing Im going to say with your comment about Derek is that its upto him how he chooses to support his team, he does it the way he has done it for years, he does it away from the directors box and he doesnt offend anyone around him.

Urkey
Urkey

April 26th, 2009, 3:58 pm #10

Is considerably more than £400 now though
Yet still considerably less then what Warrington and Prescot were asking back in 2006.

Confirmation of reply: