The Doc is having a laugh, if hes thinks an investor will come in

The Doc is having a laugh, if hes thinks an investor will come in

Tufty
Tufty

January 20th, 2005, 2:57 pm #1

There are hundreds of clubs in this country all looking for an investor, from the premier league down through all of non-league.
There is nothing to attract an investor to Runcorn FC. The only investor would be fan who wins the lottery.

Out of nearly every club you could choose would you choose Runcorn?
No assets
No ground
Large debt
200 regular fans
No social club or potential for making money from social events/bar
Large catchement area maybe a positive, but out of that poulation, say only 1,000 would ever have an interest in the club.

So you tell me, who would come along to basically throw their money away. Crowds dont cover the rent, never mind the wages.

If The Doc thinks an investor is round the corner, he is more demented than he has ever been.

Linnet
Linnet

January 20th, 2005, 10:32 pm #2

Why do you take so much enjoyment out of the demise of Runcorn football Club?

Tufty
Tufty

January 21st, 2005, 1:23 pm #3

Where in that post do you detect as sense of satisfaction? All I have done is pointed out a few facts.
If you were a local wealthy businesman, would you invest in the club? (answer with your head not your heart).

January 21st, 2005, 2:05 pm #4

IF Runcorn FC Halton moved back to Runcorn or folded and reformed as Runcorn FC 2005 of whatever, would you go the games ?

Tufty
Tufty

January 21st, 2005, 3:27 pm #5

I probably would yes.
Pavillions would be ideal as it has a good social club, that would be a deciding factor in a lot of people watching them I suppose.

January 21st, 2005, 3:40 pm #6

I keep hearing about "Pavillions" as an alternative.

Excuse my ignorance but who owns this place and whats is the likely hood they would want Runcorn FC ?

Runcorn Chap
Runcorn Chap

January 21st, 2005, 3:44 pm #7

Can't have two minutes away from these forums can you ?

Pavilions is a former ICI Recreation Club in the Weston Point area of Runcorn. You may have been there about ten to twelve years ago when you played Gen Chems away in a Cheshire Senior Cup tie. It's the same place !

There's a possibility they may have us but it needs money Gary, and plenty of it. This is not something that any of the supporters of Runcorn have to spare.

Gary Warrington
Gary Warrington

January 21st, 2005, 5:47 pm #8

No you can't get away from me

Thanks for answering. I do know where you mean but was unaware as to who owned it.

Do you think that you would be allowed to play there. Without being to disheartening it seems like its your only option ?

In all honesty though you'd be better playing at Witton or somewhere else than the Halton Stadium (sorry as I know that'd be more travelling for you) even if someone does come in to save you.

Stil can't believe how cocky a poor Rugby League team are towards you. Don't they rent the ground also ?

Runcorn Chap
Runcorn Chap

January 21st, 2005, 6:11 pm #9

The Widnes / Runcorn debate is decades old. Neither town has much time for the other, which makes the decision to move there even stranger.

Most of the petty digs at each other are just schoolkids making out they have something the other doesn't. The only thing Runcorn and Widnes have in common is that there are plenty of rough estates with stray dogs, kids with no tops on in the street with runny noses, paint on the roads outside houses and misspelt graffiti.

Both teams rent the ground from the council but Widnes have a much larger fan base to be able to afford it. I hope for their sake that they aren't relegated because the town needs a rugby club and it wouldn't do anybody any favours for them to go under too.

Pavilions is owned (I think) by a group of former ICI employees who bought the land and buildings for a song in the early nineties. They aren't particularly wealthy individuals though so it's unlikely funding will come from there.

Most likely it will be a case of renting their land, and building our own facilities, which can't be done without the cash input (and nobody has any).

So basically...we're f*cked !

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 21st, 2005, 11:28 pm #10

No you can't get away from me

Thanks for answering. I do know where you mean but was unaware as to who owned it.

Do you think that you would be allowed to play there. Without being to disheartening it seems like its your only option ?

In all honesty though you'd be better playing at Witton or somewhere else than the Halton Stadium (sorry as I know that'd be more travelling for you) even if someone does come in to save you.

Stil can't believe how cocky a poor Rugby League team are towards you. Don't they rent the ground also ?

That poor rugby league club has 100s of thousands in sponsorship courtesy of finnforest the worlds largest suplier of timber products, 6500 regular fans paying £14 a time, a supporters trust with 17k in the bank and growing at about £400 a week, a 35% increase in season ticket sales, a new 5 figure sponsorship deal announced this week with Alder spring mineral water,hundreds of replica shirts sold at £40 a go, a new 200k deal with Halton council, fans raising money for the club all the time. Need i go on. That poor rugby league club probably turns over more than the entire poxy conference league, did i mention about 400k from sky tv. Widnes Vikings have the cash rolling in, and are one, if not the most solvent teams in the rugby league. Even if the Vikings are relegated fans and sponsors ensure the club will survive as they did pre super league.Any former Runcorn fans who find themselves in a weekend sporting wilderness are welcome to cross the river and support Widnes with the hundreds of Runcorn folk who already make the trip.

Confirmation of reply: