Just to be clear - Linnets Legends

Just to be clear - Linnets Legends

Trading Standards
Trading Standards

February 22nd, 2012, 3:35 pm #1

Just to be clear, the Linnets Legends advertised on the Runcorn Linnets website - John Williams, Ossie Smith, Peter Eales, Bobby Fraser and Ben Seddon are infact former Runcorn AFC players and none of the above have any playing or managerial links with Runcorn Linnets FC.

ste b
ste b

February 22nd, 2012, 5:07 pm #2

oh dear........ they pulling that one again.you should check out the clubhouse.out of all the team photo's there only one of the newly born formed runcorn linnets.the rest are of runcorn afc.

Ste Biggy
Ste Biggy

February 22nd, 2012, 8:25 pm #3

Just to be clear, the Linnets Legends advertised on the Runcorn Linnets website - John Williams, Ossie Smith, Peter Eales, Bobby Fraser and Ben Seddon are infact former Runcorn AFC players and none of the above have any playing or managerial links with Runcorn Linnets FC.
Interesting point, nobody has ever gone down that route before..........

Probable board member
Probable board member

February 22nd, 2012, 10:54 pm #4

Bleasy it was only two years ago you was stood on the terraces of linnets fully endorsing the fact it was a continuation of RFC

FALLON
FALLON

February 22nd, 2012, 11:33 pm #5

But its not a continuation? Its a new club formed in 2006.

Urkey
Urkey

February 23rd, 2012, 12:30 pm #6

Me thinks people who play the "youve nothing to do with the old club" card as often as they do on here, regret burning there bridges'.
Cant wait to see the championship winning legends this weekend, wasnt old enough to appreciate how good that team was back in the day!

FALLON
FALLON

February 23rd, 2012, 2:20 pm #7

Just to clarify Urkey (although I dont think you were aiming that post at me to be honest!), but I have never burnt any bridges. I followed Runcorn right until the very sad ending at Ashton United.

Thing is, if this event had been called "Runcorn Legends", which it legitimately is, then nobody could have argued either way (although I concede some would have tried!).

Urkey
Urkey

February 23rd, 2012, 5:37 pm #8

No wasnt aiming it at you Martin, more steve blease who since going to watch Mond (his choice and perogotive so no arguement from me there) has jumped on the not a continuation bandwagon, yet when he was a regular on the travel bus he would often converse, recalling the great Runcorn teams of days gone by, I just find it a tad strange...

DAC
DAC

February 23rd, 2012, 9:08 pm #9

Yawn , Yawn that old topic again

AFC Wimbledon formed as a completly new club in 2002 yet won the FA Cup in 1988!!. If all true football fans accept that AFC Wimbledon are the rightful owners of Wimbledon history why can Town fans not accept the Linnets as the the rightful owners of Runcorn AFC history?

Linnets fans should also be praised as Wimbledon have never played in their home borough.

Probable board member
Probable board member

February 24th, 2012, 9:25 am #10

What rights do Linnets have to claiming Runcorn FC's History?
They have the same right as Runcorn Town do, yet we dont see Runcorn Town trying to claim to be someone else.
Its actually disrespectful to both the former Runcorn FC and to those fans of the former club who have no time for Runcorn Linnets.
Surley its better for Linnets to claim their own identity and to grow as a new club, attracting people for their ambition not by trying to trade on another clubs past. Given that Runcorn Linnets are located in the New Town, the former Runcorn FC had little regard for attracting supporters from the New Town, with many Runcorn FC supporters taking an anti New Town stance (Some of the most anti New Town bile came from several people now heavily involved in Runcorn Linnets, people who swore they would never set foot in the New Town).
As for the question and answer session with some past Runcorn FC players, the majority of Runcorn Linnets supporters and even board members will never have even heard of these players. The event is simply in place to continue Derek Greenwoods falicy that its stil 1984.

Confirmation of reply: