Its time for some progression

Its time for some progression

Concerned Fan
Concerned Fan

February 8th, 2009, 11:49 am #1

And as harsh as it might seem, this will not happen under the current board.
In order for the club to progress, its time for a major overhaul of the board and for some people with drive, ambition and most of all, a business brain to take control.
You only have to read some of the comments on the official site to see that we are being lead by idiots.
The likes of David Dutton, who think that a major sponsor will pump money into the new ground for a naming right! What business would benefit from a naming right of a small NWCL ground in Runcorn, where the only mention of the name will be a one line remark by Dave Bettley in the Runcorn Weekly News.
To even suggest that a sponsor could name the ground for £250,000 is astounding, when we cant even find a fraction of that money to build a stadium.

The fiasco with games being called off at witton needs to be addressed.
Its not the best stadium to get to geographically.
However, as the current board keep banging on "They were good to us in the beginning".
That attitude will get us nowhere, living in the past, something the likes of Headley and Greenwood revel in, its no wonder we dont progress.
The main agenda for next season should be finding a new ground to play at.
Warrington Town would be a much better option, easier to get to and with more potential for attracting supporters and sponsors.
Or even better, why not pay rent to Runcorn Town/Pavillions in order for them to bring their ground up to NWCL standard. Use some of the existing ground money to help install floodlights at Runcorn Town.
I know what the response to this will be, but the current board will fail to see the benefits of this move.
Firstly the club would then be back in Runcorn, allowing the club to attract more fans and sponsors.
The tie-up would benefit Runcorn Town, who could then repay this gesture once they have received funding back from the sports council, which in turn will benefit Runcorn Linnets.
With the two clubs working together on a short term basis, it will achieve the first aim of getting Runcorn Linnets back to Runcorn.

The team and the club are not going to achieve promotion in the next few years anyway, as one - they are not good enough, two - the board lacks ambition and three - other clubs will be better positioned next season.

I notice a scheme is in place for Free under 16's season tickets, but have failed to see this advertised or promoted anywhere. Looks to me like a half hearted effort in order for the board to say "we tried that idea", rather than putting any effort into making it work.

Its time to act now, grab the bull by the horns and start moving forward, if that upsets a few current board members in their comfy position with little output, then so be it. Its for the good of the club, not for the good of a few egos.

Cowboy
Cowboy

February 8th, 2009, 1:58 pm #2

There's alot of truth in what you say. A link up with Runcorn Town makes more sense by the second. Business head on now; RT want a ground with Floodlights, RL want a ground in Runcorn; There is a limited pot for sponsorship BUT things like advertising hoardings, etc are far more attractive for LOCAL business with 170-200 people looking at them EVERY week. Joint programme sponsorship with revenue split on a per spectator basis, the list is endless. Crowds for both clubs would increase (fans would go to watch both) There are members of the current board with vision, what they lack are people who can LEAD, can INSPIRE, have DRIVE...engaging the people of Runcorn has always been like pulling teeth. They need people who can make things happen. You've mentioned the U16 thing (it was agreed when I was on the board) only TWO of the board were 100% behind it with NO HESITATION. It needs ideas putting into action, communicating. Steve does a good job with the website, Dave Bettley will support and use the media to promote the club but there's little else.

People of Runcorn want to look up at the board and respect them as leaders who can drive the club forward. I'm sorry but the sight of board members effing and jeffing at the opposition goalie or carrying a blow up Dalek does little to set the club up with potential sponsors but i put the word FUCK on the offal site and i'm causing alsorts of aggro.

We are not close enough to the FA, local chamber of commerce even the NWRDA. To be honest everybody on the board is keen. There are a few with the wrong portfolios and they should be told. In terms of running a company.....I'm a director of 2....I know what's needed. I just don't see it at this time

The DEAFENING slience since the January meeting about the ground where by all accounts the FA told us to "FUCK OFF" seems to suggest that we have one OPTION. The council. If they say no during this budgetary cycle as looks likely I don't see how the club can be a going concern.

Time for the board and the trust to wake up and smell the coffee. If you want to progress, get people on board who can do it.

Shut up and put up
Shut up and put up

February 8th, 2009, 6:31 pm #3

where are these people then? I see loads of people who say that we need new board members, where are these gonna come from...

Cowboy - says a lot (director of 2 companies) - was on the board, lasted 6 weeks

Glyn - dont need to say anything else , works hard but wouldnt trust as far as I could throw him.

Spenner - another 1 who constantly slagged off the board ( i have business background) but spat his dummy out like a little kid!

Charlesworth - Im not even gonna go there....

Who is there with the time, business background and love of the club to take this club forward...I cant see anyone, and Im not saying that we have to make do with the best of a bad lot as I also feel there should be change at board level as the lack of ideas is appalling.

What next????

Cowboy
Cowboy

February 8th, 2009, 8:04 pm #4

Ask yourself why I only lasted 6 weeks.......

I took one look and decided I been used (shut up)...nobody on the board had a clue what they wanted to do with me, no one sold me a dream, no one sold me a vision of where we are going. Its the same reason I gave up on the ground group. I'm used to making stuff happen.

LEADERSHIP....you have a reluctant chairman, he's said as much publicly on a number of occasions. How the hell can you be lad by somebody who doesn't want to lead?

The Vultures are circling, the council won't bank roll it all.

Put up or shut up? I am but one vote in the Trust. Too many 'active' trust members are happy with the club and it's predicament to take real action. They are happy to keep raising money for what...the promise of a ground in the town....but we won't tell you how much. How can people be happy fund raising without knowing what the target is? It's criminal.

The board are getting more and more insular. The backers are dropping faster than a single mums knickers in Foxy's. One of the biggest clubs in NWCFL and we just don't puch our weight (unless you include abusing match officials)

Is it time for "Runcorn Independent Fan Club" to form? A focus for those who believe we could do better, should do better?

ando
ando

February 10th, 2009, 4:46 am #5

And as harsh as it might seem, this will not happen under the current board.
In order for the club to progress, its time for a major overhaul of the board and for some people with drive, ambition and most of all, a business brain to take control.
You only have to read some of the comments on the official site to see that we are being lead by idiots.
The likes of David Dutton, who think that a major sponsor will pump money into the new ground for a naming right! What business would benefit from a naming right of a small NWCL ground in Runcorn, where the only mention of the name will be a one line remark by Dave Bettley in the Runcorn Weekly News.
To even suggest that a sponsor could name the ground for £250,000 is astounding, when we cant even find a fraction of that money to build a stadium.

The fiasco with games being called off at witton needs to be addressed.
Its not the best stadium to get to geographically.
However, as the current board keep banging on "They were good to us in the beginning".
That attitude will get us nowhere, living in the past, something the likes of Headley and Greenwood revel in, its no wonder we dont progress.
The main agenda for next season should be finding a new ground to play at.
Warrington Town would be a much better option, easier to get to and with more potential for attracting supporters and sponsors.
Or even better, why not pay rent to Runcorn Town/Pavillions in order for them to bring their ground up to NWCL standard. Use some of the existing ground money to help install floodlights at Runcorn Town.
I know what the response to this will be, but the current board will fail to see the benefits of this move.
Firstly the club would then be back in Runcorn, allowing the club to attract more fans and sponsors.
The tie-up would benefit Runcorn Town, who could then repay this gesture once they have received funding back from the sports council, which in turn will benefit Runcorn Linnets.
With the two clubs working together on a short term basis, it will achieve the first aim of getting Runcorn Linnets back to Runcorn.

The team and the club are not going to achieve promotion in the next few years anyway, as one - they are not good enough, two - the board lacks ambition and three - other clubs will be better positioned next season.

I notice a scheme is in place for Free under 16's season tickets, but have failed to see this advertised or promoted anywhere. Looks to me like a half hearted effort in order for the board to say "we tried that idea", rather than putting any effort into making it work.

Its time to act now, grab the bull by the horns and start moving forward, if that upsets a few current board members in their comfy position with little output, then so be it. Its for the good of the club, not for the good of a few egos.
move to wales its all happening there . loads of sheeeeeeeeep

Trevor
Trevor

February 10th, 2009, 9:42 am #6

Perhaps its now time to move away from a trust run club and seek businessmen who can invest in the club and carry it forward. A board consisting of a single businessman or a group of businessmen, who can invest the money and take the club forward.
Why do we have the Duke of Westminster as a patron? The money needed for the ground is not even a days profit for him, yet I don't see any funds. Has he even been a match of a club function?

From where I am standing, the current board does more to alienate those who have offered help, the likes of Cowboy, Tufty, Alan Jones, Spenner etc have all bought good ideas to the table, but soon become frustrated when faced with the deadheads on the current board. Is it any wonder that nobody is willing to step forward.

runnerglyn
runnerglyn

February 10th, 2009, 10:01 am #7

Some news on the ground plans itself would be good enough for the fans, where are we up to with the college? when will the club be putting in planning permission with HBC? As mentioned previously when kind of funding are we able to attain now? figures wise, what is the costings of the minimum requirements to bring the club home to Runcorn? when is the next major fundraising opportunity being held to help the ground project? if we are looking at more then 2 more seasons at Witton with 2 more rent hikes, and more added outlay, its going to be very difficult to keep going.

As a trust member i tend to agree with the previous poster a successful businessman might be the way forward to invest in the club, run the trust as a seperate organisation within the club, maybe our football loving RL ownwer over the water might be someone we could be looking for, in the not too distant future.

Alias Glyn, he likes em enough
Alias Glyn, he likes em enough

February 10th, 2009, 7:56 pm #8

Ask yourself why I only lasted 6 weeks.......

I took one look and decided I been used (shut up)...nobody on the board had a clue what they wanted to do with me, no one sold me a dream, no one sold me a vision of where we are going. Its the same reason I gave up on the ground group. I'm used to making stuff happen.

LEADERSHIP....you have a reluctant chairman, he's said as much publicly on a number of occasions. How the hell can you be lad by somebody who doesn't want to lead?

The Vultures are circling, the council won't bank roll it all.

Put up or shut up? I am but one vote in the Trust. Too many 'active' trust members are happy with the club and it's predicament to take real action. They are happy to keep raising money for what...the promise of a ground in the town....but we won't tell you how much. How can people be happy fund raising without knowing what the target is? It's criminal.

The board are getting more and more insular. The backers are dropping faster than a single mums knickers in Foxy's. One of the biggest clubs in NWCFL and we just don't puch our weight (unless you include abusing match officials)

Is it time for "Runcorn Independent Fan Club" to form? A focus for those who believe we could do better, should do better?

COWBOY SPEAK aka "management speak"

"What they lack are people who can LEAD, can INSPIRE, have DRIVE".

"In terms of running a company.....I'm a director of 2....I know what's needed"

"No one sold me a dream, no one sold me a vision of where we are going. Its the same reason I gave up on the ground group. I'm used to making stuff happen".

"Omly problem with this is it takes some effort and I hardly go to games cos I ain't that much of a fan really. I like to talk and spout about how good I am but I will actually do fuck all".

Cowboy
Cowboy

February 10th, 2009, 9:25 pm #9

Constructive as ever John

consultant
consultant

February 10th, 2009, 9:39 pm #10

COWBOY SPEAK aka "management speak"

"What they lack are people who can LEAD, can INSPIRE, have DRIVE".

"In terms of running a company.....I'm a director of 2....I know what's needed"

"No one sold me a dream, no one sold me a vision of where we are going. Its the same reason I gave up on the ground group. I'm used to making stuff happen".

"Omly problem with this is it takes some effort and I hardly go to games cos I ain't that much of a fan really. I like to talk and spout about how good I am but I will actually do fuck all".
management speak is still better than the bullshit that the board spout

LEAD the club back to runcorn
INSPIRE people enough to want to be involved
DRIVE the club on up the non league ladder

otherwise be an even worse failure than the doc

Confirmation of reply: