Is it worth the club continuing?

Is it worth the club continuing?

Voice of reason
Voice of reason

January 3rd, 2009, 1:25 pm #1

No real prospect of a return to Runcorn.

Falling gates and no appeal to new supporters.

No prospect of gaining promotion this season or next (AFC Liverpool will take one of next seasons places and the current manager will not win us promotion).
Supportrs do not want to see this low level of football.

Lack of promotion possibility leading to players leaving and failing to attract decent players.

A Director who thinks the club should loose all identity with the old club, even changing the clubs colours.

Basically, the club is now being run to keep a few individuals happy. The ambition and drive has gone and the future prospects are diminishing by the day.

Even a return to Runcorn will not increase the gates and will only lead to more expense and more "hands in pockets" for the few remaining supporters.

From where I am standing, its not worth the effort or the expense.

fan
fan

January 3rd, 2009, 6:30 pm #2

Fuck off then

I wont put my name, as Im scared of you knowing wh

January 3rd, 2009, 7:01 pm #3

what director is asking for a change oef colours a?

January 4th, 2009, 1:04 am #4

Voice of reason?

Fucking idiot more like. Fuck off.

Voice of Reason
Voice of Reason

January 4th, 2009, 12:17 pm #5

Glad to see the intelligent element of our support is alive and well, all to happy to join in with reasoned debate.
Its no wonder the clubs in such a mess, with brainless support.

January 4th, 2009, 5:05 pm #6

ok i will ask again who is the director that would like to see a change of the clubs id?

January 4th, 2009, 6:17 pm #7

i believe Cowboy has been spouting off saying this club has nothing to do with the old one and we should start to forget all about the old club, I think this is a joke in itself. This club is attracting the players due to the Runcorn name, admitted by a few layers themsleves why they joined,

I would like to ask 'Voice of reason' as he's so downbeat, what has he actually done in tryingto bring Runcorn home.

1. Do you actually go the games?
2. Have you done any fundraising?
3. Have you supported the club in any of there activites - e.g Sportsmans dinners, playing the Tote?

It seems that there are a lot of 'fans' and I use that word loosely who actually want the club to fail so they can say 'I told you so'.

Everyone wants the club back in Runcorn, I dont go hardly enough games due to the fact its in Wincham and I have no transport. I have 3 kids who would love to go and watch the match, also mates with a spare weekend would be up for going down...it willtake time, hopefully this meeting with the FA will spring some hope into the club,

I would also love to know where half the fans think the money is going to come from, I dont know wether half the morons on here know theres a credit crunch and theres hardly any money floatinga round at the mo (even Barclays are considering there sponsership of the Prem!!!)

I think its time for fans to take stock, it might take another 1-2 years to come home, if it does and fans arereal fans they will still wait and support the club, I feel Steve Wilkes should be given time, he's only been in the job a year and for us to get rid of him means we have to start the whole rebuilding job again, the player merry-go-round will continue and were back to square one. Obviuosly results at the mo are VERY disappointing, but all clubs have runs like this, Runcorn doesnt have a god given right to win every single game and get automatically promoted every season and I feel some fans need to realise this.

2009 I feel is the time when the club will progress both on/off the pitch, developments will be made and REAL fans need to stick with tthe club as I know/hope they will....

Rant over...Wilkes out haha..(only kiddin yer!)

Whats the beef?
Whats the beef?

January 4th, 2009, 6:18 pm #8

ok i will ask again who is the director that would like to see a change of the clubs id?
i believe Cowboy has been spouting off saying this club has nothing to do with the old one and we should start to forget all about the old club, I think this is a joke in itself. This club is attracting the players due to the Runcorn name, admitted by a few layers themsleves why they joined,

I would like to ask 'Voice of reason' as he's so downbeat, what has he actually done in tryingto bring Runcorn home.

1. Do you actually go the games?
2. Have you done any fundraising?
3. Have you supported the club in any of there activites - e.g Sportsmans dinners, playing the Tote?

It seems that there are a lot of 'fans' and I use that word loosely who actually want the club to fail so they can say 'I told you so'.

Everyone wants the club back in Runcorn, I dont go hardly enough games due to the fact its in Wincham and I have no transport. I have 3 kids who would love to go and watch the match, also mates with a spare weekend would be up for going down...it willtake time, hopefully this meeting with the FA will spring some hope into the club,

I would also love to know where half the fans think the money is going to come from, I dont know wether half the morons on here know theres a credit crunch and theres hardly any money floatinga round at the mo (even Barclays are considering there sponsership of the Prem!!!)

I think its time for fans to take stock, it might take another 1-2 years to come home, if it does and fans arereal fans they will still wait and support the club, I feel Steve Wilkes should be given time, he's only been in the job a year and for us to get rid of him means we have to start the whole rebuilding job again, the player merry-go-round will continue and were back to square one. Obviuosly results at the mo are VERY disappointing, but all clubs have runs like this, Runcorn doesnt have a god given right to win every single game and get automatically promoted every season and I feel some fans need to realise this.

2009 I feel is the time when the club will progress both on/off the pitch, developments will be made and REAL fans need to stick with tthe club as I know/hope they will....

Rant over...Wilkes out haha..(only kiddin yer!)

January 4th, 2009, 7:19 pm #9

Couldn't agree more. If Voice of (T)reason is looking for informed, sensible debate with intelligent Runcorn Linnets fans, surely starting a thread on a forum such as this on a subject like "Is it worth the club continuing?" is not a great starting point.

Tufty
Tufty

January 6th, 2009, 7:07 pm #10

As debated before, the only viable solution is a merger with Runcorn Town.
You have two clubs competing for the same supporters, same players, same grants and same sponsorship.
Runcorn Town currently play in Runcorn, have a better youth and reserve structure, already have a ground in the town, have a social base and attract a lot more local sponsorship.
They also have a lot of ex-Runcorn FC supporters involved with them.
The location of Runcorn Towns ground is also a lot better than that of the proposed stadium.

The problem is, some people would have to cut off their noses in the process.

People talk about "The return to Runcorn" as if its like some "field of Dreams" sequal, "If you build it, they will come".

What your forgetting, is in the last season at Canal Street, when the club was playing at a higher level, had recently been to Wembley and needed support to stay in the town, they struggled to get gates of 260 and that was with a decent sized away support thrown in.
The club has been away from the town for 8 years already and a lot of those casual fans, now have other interests.
Its all well and good saying "when I collect the Tote people always ask me how they got on". As going back 10 years ago, people used to do the same thing then, but wouldnt attend games bar the odd big cup game.

The return to Runcorn will bring its own costs with extra bills on rent, wages on groundstaff/bar staff etc. As well as the cost of fixing any vandalism to the ground. With the way the economic climate is and much bigger established teams struggling, you have to question how long a club could last.

The current team playing in Witton has not exactly pulled up any trees, bar its first season. These last two seasons have been wasted opportunity and the club is now a run of the mill NWCL1 team, in danger of being left behind by teams with more ambition.
In the same way that certain people let the old club get into the state it did, by accepting what you have and ensuring that "at least we have somewhere to go on s saturday" or "Without our new club we wouldnt have a team", this attitude is now resulting in a stagnant club.

Yes the old Canal Street days were good and many would love a return to that, but its to much of a pipe dream. In the 70's the club could get gates in the thousands, in the 80's it would get 1,000 against Alty or Vics, in the 90's it was down to 200. Its now 2009 and the gates are down to 130, with little playing appeal to get new fans along. The dreams of the FA cup 3rd round are to distant, with the 3rd qualifying round being beyond the realms of reality.
The clubs that runcorn Fans used to laugh at, the likes of Vauxhall GM. Forest Green, Southport, Burscough, Droylsden have now left Runcorn behind.
There used to be a gap between Runcorn FC and Gem Chems, now its barely visible.

Confirmation of reply: