"DYPAM!" a brief history

"DYPAM!" a brief history

November 24th, 2011, 9:17 am #1

"DYPAM!" would like to thank all the visitors to this forum as it moves into its 13th year.
"Don't You Point at Me!" Started life as a printed Fanzine sold on the Canal Street terraces in the late 1980's (Originally founded by Touchy and Biggy) and at its height sold over 350 copies per issue. To this day, old printed issues often appear on the popular bidding website ebay.
The first ever Runcorn FC Fanzine was a publication called "The Jolly Green Giant" and was founded by current Runcorn Linnets board member Mark Buckley.
Funds from the sale of "DYPAM!" would often be used to sponsor the match ball at Canal Street, as well as player sponsorship.
"DYPAM!" also organised and financially contributed to the large "Runcorn Barmy Army" flag that was seen at the 1994 FA Trophy final at Wembley.
"DYPAM!" founded the Runcorn FC goal of the season award, which was awarded to the best goal scored by a Runcorn FC player each season and was voted upon by "DYPAM!" readers.
Following a 8 year absence, "DYPAM!" re-established the annual sponsored walk between Canal Street and Northwich, with walkers wearing "DYPAM!" t-shirts.
Following the death of popular kitman Tommy Ellis, "DYPAM!" provided an engraved bronze plaque that stood outside the Canal Street home dressing room. The plaque now remains with the Ellis family.

The "DYPAM!" website was the first ever Runcorn AFC website and was up and running some 18 months before Runcorn AFC initially had an official website. The initial "DYPAM!" website brought you news on Runcorn FC, fixtures, transfer news, travel club news, player profiles, a history of the club and words to Runcorn FC terrace songs. The original "DYPAM!" site also featured an away fans guide to Runcorn, as well as featured articles from the printed fanzine.

The first "DYPAM!" internet fans forum was set up in November 1999 before moving to this forum host in Feb 2001.
This forum now averages over 23,000 visitors per month.

Tufty
Tufty

November 24th, 2011, 12:30 pm #2

I've got a lot of old back issues (several copies of the same issue) still and a couple of copies of Touchie and Biggies first issues. As welll as a host of photos that people submitted from at the games/Linnets club/travel bus club etc.
Looks like the relaunch that Karen, Rachel and myself done was around the 1991 season, with the last issue being around 2001/02.

ando
ando

November 24th, 2011, 6:37 pm #3

those were the good old days tufty , when you could be proud to wear a Runcorn footie top and display your flag at internationals with Runcor A F C across the middle . will they ever return i fear NOT .

Probable board member
Probable board member

November 24th, 2011, 10:20 pm #4

"DYPAM!" would like to thank all the visitors to this forum as it moves into its 13th year.
"Don't You Point at Me!" Started life as a printed Fanzine sold on the Canal Street terraces in the late 1980's (Originally founded by Touchy and Biggy) and at its height sold over 350 copies per issue. To this day, old printed issues often appear on the popular bidding website ebay.
The first ever Runcorn FC Fanzine was a publication called "The Jolly Green Giant" and was founded by current Runcorn Linnets board member Mark Buckley.
Funds from the sale of "DYPAM!" would often be used to sponsor the match ball at Canal Street, as well as player sponsorship.
"DYPAM!" also organised and financially contributed to the large "Runcorn Barmy Army" flag that was seen at the 1994 FA Trophy final at Wembley.
"DYPAM!" founded the Runcorn FC goal of the season award, which was awarded to the best goal scored by a Runcorn FC player each season and was voted upon by "DYPAM!" readers.
Following a 8 year absence, "DYPAM!" re-established the annual sponsored walk between Canal Street and Northwich, with walkers wearing "DYPAM!" t-shirts.
Following the death of popular kitman Tommy Ellis, "DYPAM!" provided an engraved bronze plaque that stood outside the Canal Street home dressing room. The plaque now remains with the Ellis family.

The "DYPAM!" website was the first ever Runcorn AFC website and was up and running some 18 months before Runcorn AFC initially had an official website. The initial "DYPAM!" website brought you news on Runcorn FC, fixtures, transfer news, travel club news, player profiles, a history of the club and words to Runcorn FC terrace songs. The original "DYPAM!" site also featured an away fans guide to Runcorn, as well as featured articles from the printed fanzine.

The first "DYPAM!" internet fans forum was set up in November 1999 before moving to this forum host in Feb 2001.
Interesting - Im a little younger, so wasnt aware of the origins etc of DYPAM and the other matters mentioned. Was the Biggy mentioned on the set up of the fanzine the same one that posts on here btw?

Urkey
Urkey

November 25th, 2011, 10:27 am #5

No.

Ste Biggy
Ste Biggy

November 25th, 2011, 8:35 pm #6

The Biggy who is mentioned above who helped create DYPAM is my older brother, and Touchy is his his lifelong best mate.

Heres a fact that I bet nobody on here knows, my Mum drew the original picture of Lord Kitchener ( the bloke pointing ) that was used as the logo for the original copies of DYPAM, in the days before a picture could be copied from the internet!

ando
ando

November 26th, 2011, 12:01 am #7

did the title dont you point at me ,come from a RAFC director saying it to Dave Rose ? i think the directors first name is Chris and cant think of his surname , he had a west country accent and is a decent bloke . am i right or wrong ? and where is touchy nowadays ? is he still best mates with Dave Robbo and his lad Mark ?

Ste Biggy
Ste Biggy

November 26th, 2011, 11:32 am #8

Correct, and the bloke tour reffering to is Chris Hill.

Touchy can be found wherever AFC Wimbledon are playing, he no longer has any interest in Runcorn football.

Confirmation of reply: