What is Dwarf Fortress?

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

December 6th, 2008, 2:27 pm #1

Dwarf Fortress is a fort-management game, if you can call it one, where you start off with 7 brave dwarfs(assuming you go with Dwarf Fortress gamemode when starting a game) in their mission to build a successful fort to a place of your choosing, and from there, it is up to you how you will play the game and improve your fortress.

It does not help that the dwarfs are easily thrown into fits of anger and random murder, including but not limited to tearing off the leg of the mayor when discussing about how bad they are feeling and then throwing a tantrum.

The game has a vertical learning curve, meaning that the first you play it, be expected to not understanding anything of the game, and when you think you got it, you realize you only started to scratch the surface. Have fun making pump systems to flood aboveground with magma.

For all purposes and questions, there is the Dwarf Fortress Wiki, and to get you started on the first fort, "Your First Fortress" guide.

Since the game originally was made with ASCII graphics(that means letters and symbols used to show what different tiles and things are for you kids who never played ADOM), I will even throw in a link to a version of Dwarf Fortress with a graphics pack pre-installed.

Mayday's graphic pack.

Note that the keys for going up and down Z-levels have been taken off, because they previously were the same with other keys that did some other things.

To set the keys to WHATEVER YOU WANT, here is what you do ingame, if you ever get that far before you think "this game sucks i want my runescape".

- While ingame, press ESC. Then select Key Bindings, and press Enter.
- Now PageDown until you see "Move view/cursor up(z)" and "Move view/cursor down(z)". These are the two keys to assign. AND ONLY THESE. There are other key bindings with nearly the same thing being said in 'em, so look for the exact things in the list. Assign these to the two keys you feel comfortable using, for you will be going up and down levels a lot in DF.
- And you're done assigning the keys. Now have fun trying to figure out how you mine(for fish).
wrote:Goro was admitted to the hospital after the incident, and was pronounced paralyzed from the neck down. In 2016, he was outfitted with a prototype robotic replacement body. He quickly conquered the world through superior firepower.

All hail our robotic overlord, King of the World, Gorobei.

DigDog
Advanced Member
DigDog
Advanced Member

December 6th, 2008, 3:47 pm #2

That reminds me that I haven't played it for a while. Last time I played I got frustrated because I was just fighting with a food shortage as 8 more dwarves immigrated. They all died.

Tuss
Advanced Member
Tuss
Advanced Member

January 23rd, 2009, 2:19 pm #3

Is it so much to ask for a link?

DigDog
Advanced Member
DigDog
Advanced Member

January 23rd, 2009, 4:46 pm #4

The dwarf fortress wiki contains enough links, no?

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

January 23rd, 2009, 5:24 pm #5

And that link with "Mayday's Graphics Pack" has the game along a graphics pack.

Ta dah.
wrote:Goro was admitted to the hospital after the incident, and was pronounced paralyzed from the neck down. In 2016, he was outfitted with a prototype robotic replacement body. He quickly conquered the world through superior firepower.

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

February 6th, 2009, 12:58 pm #6

DigDog
Advanced Member
DigDog
Advanced Member

February 6th, 2009, 1:35 pm #7

Masterpiece.

Tuss
Advanced Member
Tuss
Advanced Member

February 7th, 2009, 12:32 am #8

I'm scared of trying that game now.

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

February 7th, 2009, 11:16 am #9

Shaddup you wuss and play it.

Tuss
Advanced Member
Tuss
Advanced Member

February 7th, 2009, 12:09 pm #10

No.

Confirmation of reply: