Tuss
Advanced Member
Tuss
Advanced Member

11:14 PM - Apr 21, 2010 #61

Good story. Is the game usually like that?

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

9:00 PM - Apr 28, 2010 #62

Well, it's a game that relies on RNG.
You might have a fort where nothing interesting seems to happen, or one where everything that could go wrong goes wrong in a single season.

But yeah. Bronzemurder is a good story.

Tells correctly what the new version is like.
wrote:Goro was admitted to the hospital after the incident, and was pronounced paralyzed from the neck down. In 2016, he was outfitted with a prototype robotic replacement body. He quickly conquered the world through superior firepower.

All hail our robotic overlord, King of the World, Gorobei.

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

6:19 AM - May 04, 2010 #63

wrote: I found a kidnapped dwarf in Legends mode called Ingish Pillarspeak, who ended up being the sole defender of his adopted goblin civ, killing over two hundred dwarves, including his own mother, father, father in law (he married another kidnapped dwarf, she was killed by dwarves early in the war), brother in law (duelled him five times), several brothers, and a sister. He was at war with his original dwarven civ from the year 30 to 70, armed with a crossbow and presumably a knife. He liked to rip off the third toe of his opponents. Oh, and he ate the dwarves he killed (never his own family, at least).

He was the victor of his final battle against his original dwarven civ, but still (somehow) lost the war. He joined the new civ and died of old age, wandering the wild.

When I visited the now-dwarven dark fortress he'd defended for so long in Adventure mode, there was a goblin priest in the temple. Every dwarf I talked to had a relative who'd been killed by Ingish Pillarspeak.

I imagine the war was ended when Ingish was shown his own kill list, and it was explained how many of his own family he'd slain in battle. I imagine Ingish negotiated amnesty for the goblin priest, who may have been the only other surviving member of his adopted society by then.

Late in his life Ingish began worshipping a rampaging giant he'd seen battle his goblin kidnapper while still a prisoner. The giant passed through his life kind of like Halley's comet, right at the begining and just before the end. The list of gods and demons he'd worshipped and the various entities he'd claimed membership in made me sad: he fought so hard for so long, and for what? His dwarveness, his goblinness, his marriage, his nation, his sense of who his family was and who he had to protect, as it all kept shifting and changing around him. He was a dwarf constantly in search of something to believe in, and his capacity for belief gave him a terrible power. If that didn't alienate him from his fellow dwarves, I'm sure the fact he'd personally killed (and occasionally eaten) everyone's grandparents did.

I deleted his whole world after I realized I'd spent 40 hours researching his history in a week that I worked 50 hours, and was still accruing more detail. When I found out he'd shot and killed his youngest sister I cried.
wrote:Goro was admitted to the hospital after the incident, and was pronounced paralyzed from the neck down. In 2016, he was outfitted with a prototype robotic replacement body. He quickly conquered the world through superior firepower.

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

11:55 AM - Jun 08, 2010 #64

Time for some random things from the world of Dwarf Fortress and all that relates to it!

There's been a recent rabblerabble situation when it turned out that Khazad, the viewer that I'm fairly sure I linked to earlier in this thread(or some other related to DF) is going from a 3D visualizer of DF to a standalone game, based off from code from DF.

The rabble comes from the fact that the guy(s) making Khazad "sort of" stole the code and yadda yadda yadda.

Apparently he thinks that A) the user interface of DF is horrendous(it sort of is, at least rather complex and not really easy to understand) and B) he thinks he can do a better game which focuses on Fortress mode that DF has rather than taking the whole thing and copying it.

Regardless whether you feel bad, good, or indifferent about this, for those who think that it's at least worth keeping an eye out for(in case the reason you don't play DF is because of the difficult controls at start) this might be of interest.

I'll update on this whenever something new pops up about it.

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

6:29 PM - Aug 11, 2010 #65

Here's something that someone MIGHT enjoy.

WHO KNOWS

Dwarf Fortress - Lazy Newb Pack
wrote:
- This package is designed for Newbs AND for those who are just too Lazy to put everything together whenever a new version comes out.
- It includes the latest version of Dwarf Fortress, Graphics, and all the best compatible Utilities!
To make things simple, once you download the pack make shortcuts to all the programs you want to use.
wrote:
Contents of V4.2
+ Dwarf Fortress v0.31.12 Windows SDL w/Sound
+ Phoebus Graphic Pack 0.31.12v01
-Replaces ASCII with a pleasant graphical tileset
+ Dwarf Therapist v0.5.7 + 31.12 support
-Easily manage labors: what tasks your dwarfs perform.
+ Stonesense Slate RC2 + 31.12 support
-See your fortress in isometric 3D. Can (f)ollow along with your DF window.
+ DFInit Utility v1.4 (.exe in DF folder)
-Easily change game settings
+ Perfect World DF v1.2
-Create your own customized worlds (Manual included)
+ DFHack v0.4.0.5
-Minor utilities and hacks: vein digger, map reveal, etc. Read readme and use at your own risk.
+ Quickfort v1.11
-Use spreadsheets to automatically designate large areas of your fort. Click link for help and resources.
+ Chromafort 4/25 beta
-Converts images into spreadsheets which can be used with Quickfort.
+ Runesmith v0.1.5 (Now supports 31.12)
-Hack and modify your dwarfs. Use at your own risk.
+ Easily Disable Aquifers (Should not conflict with DFConfig now)
+ Laptop Keybinds
+ Custom Embark Profiles
+ Economy Disabled by default
Here's the B12 thread for those interested, especially since it has a link to a few other helpful programs.

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

8:20 AM - Aug 12, 2010 #66

Remember when I talked about Goblin Camp?

Well it's had it's first working release.

http://www.goblincamp.com/

For now it differs from DF with heavier use of mouse and designating buildings, simplified construction and so on.
But it's still a first release so it doesn't have a lot of stuff.

For those who just want to play something simpler than DF it might be worth checking out.
I don't think it has anything else as graphics-option but ASCII for now.

DigDog
Advanced Member
DigDog
Advanced Member

9:23 AM - Aug 12, 2010 #67

Looks interesting but I'll give it some more time first.

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

7:20 AM - Aug 19, 2010 #68

DigDog
Advanced Member
DigDog
Advanced Member

8:49 AM - Aug 19, 2010 #69

Tuss
Advanced Member
Tuss
Advanced Member

11:52 AM - Aug 19, 2010 #70

Awesome.

Confirmation of reply: