Fishtank
Advanced Member
Fishtank
Advanced Member

10:16 PM - Jul 16, 2009 #31

For food/booze, try giving a dwarf the plant gathering labor and tell him to harvest all the plants on the map. You can eat/brew them and your dwarves will keep the seeds, and you can start some above ground farms in the sand (I am assuming your desert has sand).

Magma pipes aren't always open to the surface, sometimes they are hidden below ground. Normally a magma pipe not open to the surface will have a circle of obsidian around it, so be sure to look around your map for obsidian boulders/pebbles.

As for wood, you can import wood from trade caravans. Just be sure to crank your options for getting logs up to the orange zone when you meet with the outpost liaisons.

And the barrels aren't full of underground trees, they are MADE from underground trees. The barrels themselves are probably empty, if you designate a furniture stockpile your dwarves will haul them to it.

For water, do you have absolutely ZERO water or do you have a few murky pools? If you have murky pools you can make a pond and your dwarves will fill it with buckets (and you can make the buckets from metal at a forge instead of wood at a carpenter's workshop). More info on ponds GET. Then all you have to do is build a well, and you've got a small water supply for wounded.

ThunderDragonSlayer
Advanced Member
ThunderDragonSlayer
Advanced Member

3:55 PM - Jul 19, 2009 #32

Stopped playing on that fortress for now and started playing a new one to get some game experience.
The fort has been running since 3 game years and now I have some problems :
1.Too many people. I have 29 dwarves and I don't remember what I told to do to them. Especially when a thief cancelled each tasks that I gave to my dwarves. I also have food problems.
2.Sprirts. One of my dwarves became possesed, stayed away for a small while, than killed one of my dwarves and part of my animals before dying of his injuries. I don't know what to do next if someone gets possesed again.
3.Drownings. I saw lots of happy dwarves drowning lately. I may have found an explanation, but I don't know if it's the right one :
4.Ran out of alcohol. I told to the carpenter to make lots of barrels, but the game keeps saying that I don't have any empty barrel remaining. If it's a bug, I think that I must wait until next dwarven caravan and buy all their alcohol.
The three rules that are over everything :
-The best is the opposite of the good
-Everything that can end badly ends badly
-Each attempt to do nothing,so nothing will end badly,ends badly

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

4:24 PM - Jul 19, 2009 #33

1: To check what jobs people have, go to game, click v, then p, and then l. This checks their Labor list, which you can browse with + and - keys. Just press Enter to give a job/take a job for a dwarf.
2: Sounds like you had a dwarf who didn't have the workshop he/she required. Generally it works like this: Farmers, fishers and peasants usually will take over a Craftsshop, and create a trinket. The other professions take over the workshop they work in, carpenters for Carpenter's shop, metalworkers the forge and so on. So try to have all the workshops ready. You need 'em only when someone with the appropriate skill snaps. Like, you don't need a Jeweler's shop if you don't have any gem cutters or setters.
3: If you've run out of booze, then the dwarves will go to the next best thing(and feel unhappy about it for the most part), and that's water. If you have a stream, with carp in it, chances are that your dwarves are going there to drink, and getting pulled in by the fish and then they drown.
4: Check your food stockpile. I bet it's full of barrels, barrels that are full of food. You could make more barrels again, then a new foodstock pile that only takes in alcohol and no food, normal meat/fish or prepared meals.
wrote:Goro was admitted to the hospital after the incident, and was pronounced paralyzed from the neck down. In 2016, he was outfitted with a prototype robotic replacement body. He quickly conquered the world through superior firepower.

All hail our robotic overlord, King of the World, Gorobei.

ThunderDragonSlayer
Advanced Member
ThunderDragonSlayer
Advanced Member

7:09 PM - Jul 19, 2009 #34

I just realized that the river is full of carps.
Population have been taken to 18, but came back to my last save and it's back to 29.
With the lack of alcohol, my dwarves go to the river, get attacked and are butchered by the Kings of Water.
What could I do to kill all those carps ?

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

7:20 PM - Jul 19, 2009 #35

Two options, really.

First: Markdwarves. But the worst case scenario is that they charge the carps after running out of bolts, trying to bash their fishy heads in, and get drowned like your previous dwarves.

Second: Make a channel into your fort from the river. Somewhere to make a well to. Hope that the carps don't swim up the channel and start pulling in dwarves through the well.

You could prevent this by adding a vertical bar to the channel, so the carp can't pass further.

Of course #2 requires a miner who can actually channel without getting killed. Possibility two of this same idea, make a tunnel underground that breaches the river. You don't have to risk carps pulling in your miner that way.
wrote:Goro was admitted to the hospital after the incident, and was pronounced paralyzed from the neck down. In 2016, he was outfitted with a prototype robotic replacement body. He quickly conquered the world through superior firepower.

ThunderDragonSlayer
Advanced Member
ThunderDragonSlayer
Advanced Member

10:42 AM - Jul 20, 2009 #36

Making a channel was the idea that I got. I also made something that would give happy thoughts to my dwarves (if my last miner doesn't die in the process) and less happy thoughts to the carps.
A waterfall.
I hope that it would kill the carps, or at least injure them enough to kill them...and I forgot that water will be full of blood.
So I'll built a waterfall but I'll put a vertical bar before.
Or maybe no waterfall at all.

BTW my brewer started to fill the old barrels with alcohol.

ThunderDragonSlayer
Advanced Member
ThunderDragonSlayer
Advanced Member

2:02 PM - Jul 20, 2009 #37

O.o

I told to my miner to mine and allow the water to go in the channel.
And that stupid miner then went IN the channel, using the staircase I made to build the waterfall !
There isn't any waterfall, but my miner is going to drown and he can neither use the staircase (it's underwater) neither build a new one ! (he doesn't want because he's in a dangerous terrain).
It's my last miner.
The channel is at the same Z-level as the main part of my fort.
I have lots of doors.
What should I do ?

Uncle Dessy
Advanced Member
Uncle Dessy
Advanced Member

2:39 PM - Jul 20, 2009 #38

Floodgate, wall down?
Hating you unappreciative maggots even more with every new degrading post, Your Magnificent Ruler,

Dee Ess II, Troll-Emperor of Dynami. XOXO

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

4:33 PM - Jul 20, 2009 #39

If you mine a ramp to the channel walls, your miner should be able to escape with his life. Assuming that he wants to exit, and not stay there and drown horribly.

ThunderDragonSlayer
Advanced Member
ThunderDragonSlayer
Advanced Member

9:49 AM - Jul 21, 2009 #40

I forgot to say that after I dig the channel I took someone down to dig further, so there is one part with no floor over it and a part with a floor.
And I'm not sure that my miner will accept to make a ramp in the part with no floor, as there are 2/7 water.
But I have an other solution (not the best, but it'll save the life of the miner).

~~~~~"""""""""++++::
~~~~~"""""""""++++::
::::::::::::::::::::++::
::::::::::::::::::::@+::
:::\+::::::::::::::::::::
::::||::::::::::::::::::::

~ is water 4/7 and more
" is water 1/7 to 3/7
: is stone wall
+ is floor
\ is a staircase
|| is a door
@ is my miner.

I could lock the door, dig to the staircase and save the life of the miner.

Confirmation of reply: