What is Dwarf Fortress?

Games which you need more than 5 minutes to get the hang of things.
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

February 7th, 2009, 2:15 pm #11

Why must you hurt me so?
wrote:Goro was admitted to the hospital after the incident, and was pronounced paralyzed from the neck down. In 2016, he was outfitted with a prototype robotic replacement body. He quickly conquered the world through superior firepower.

All hail our robotic overlord, King of the World, Gorobei.

Tuss
Advanced Member
Tuss
Advanced Member

February 7th, 2009, 2:50 pm #12

'Cause I feel like it.

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

February 7th, 2009, 3:26 pm #13

Now you're talking like a dictator!
wrote:Goro was admitted to the hospital after the incident, and was pronounced paralyzed from the neck down. In 2016, he was outfitted with a prototype robotic replacement body. He quickly conquered the world through superior firepower.

Tuss
Advanced Member
Tuss
Advanced Member

February 7th, 2009, 11:52 pm #14

I'm not talking like a dictator!

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

February 8th, 2009, 12:11 pm #15

You might as well be, since you are the only person in Dynami actually in charge of anything. In this case, of everything.

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

February 9th, 2009, 8:54 am #16

Time for a sad story.

I was building a kobold camp, and behold, discovered the magma. It was right next to my fort building area, so I figured "I can make my super defense moat easier".

This of course meant that I started by emptying a set area of ground from every level, and then doing the easiest moat-creation thing there is. Collapsing it all downwards.

And it did. After the dust settled, I had a nice moat going on. However...

Some of the ground that plummeted down, also breached my magma pipe. Now normally this wouldn't be a bad thing, I had planned to breach the pipe anyway, this would just make my job easier, right?

NO.

I should mention that prior to the pipe plan, I had obtained an anvil, which isn't so easy when you are playing with kobolds who have no access to anvils by their own knowledge.

Now I had my entire magma pipe emptying into the moat, and all the magma that previously was for my metal industry, was emptying as well.

This of course, is not even the bad part.

The bad part was that my kobolds decided that a lot of molten rock required cleaning. The said molten rock was right next to the lava which kept spilling out uncontrollably, and unpredictably.

You can guess where I am going with this.

After about 12 kobolds had set themselves on fire, and were running around burning in the fort, or just dying, I abandoned.

So long, Slabarjangtag.

DigDog
Advanced Member
DigDog
Advanced Member

February 9th, 2009, 3:10 pm #17

Sounds like you angered some god. Or several gods.

Uncle Dessy
Advanced Member
Uncle Dessy
Advanced Member

February 12th, 2009, 5:05 am #18

Like most disasters, this one began when me and Burger competing on whoever could sustain a Kubbo Camp in the same location the longest. I mean, he is a mexifinn, and kubbos are moe. What could possibly go wrong?

A lot, really. The place we picked didn't have any running water, so the kubbos had to suffer from thirst or drink mud. I wanted to keep in theme and not use any stone for my constructions.. that kind of went down quickly when I had more or less deforested the entire map.

One of my kubbos was supposed to be a hunter and bring us food, but the first thing he does when we embark is running unarmed and unarmored against a pack of horses, promptly getting his head ripped off. Well, that wasn't so bad. getting plants from the surroundings seemed like it'd sustain the camp for a while.. the moeblobs had a barrack made fully of wood, and a dinning hall in the making. Things were looking up.

Then a pack of rhesus macabre showed up.

For you not savvy in Dorf Fortrass, the rhesus aren't more than a little annoyance, showing up, scaring your population and stealing some trinkets. When a pack of ten shows up in the middle of your camp, though, and they scare the much-needed merchant caravans, it's time to take drastic measures.
Unfortunately, a domesticated fire imp reached this conclusion rather faster than me. His solution was attempting to torch a rhesus by throwing fireballs all over the place and being subsequently dismembered by the monkey's companions.

By the time the imp was dead, my whole six-bold newly recruited army arrived and started dismembering the rhesuses with their bare hands. The dead imp, however, sought to punish his previous owners from the grave for either being complete jerks, or knowing nothing of good timing. He went about doing this by having one of his stay fireballs hit a tree right in the middle of my camp.

Long story short, a fire started. Right next to my wood stockpiles. Which then went to my food stockpiles. Which then carried over to my depot, and outside the boundaries of my camp.. until everything green in the map had burnt to ashes. One of my kobolds, unfortunately, was green.

So now I'm in the middle of summer, with no food, no workshops, no wood, and only five kubbos. God dammit Borg.

Update:
Kubbos started tantrum'ng.. one miner decided that he didn't like our glorious leader, and decided to throw his shovel at him.
Result: Thrathilus, Woodcutter has been struck down.
Roughly a second afterwards, Thrathilus' only friend finds out about the murder.
Result: Stlildus, Woodcutter has gone stark raving mad!
And perhaps the day after, the miner realizes what he has done.
Result: Brofosaylgin Kemleti, Miner is stricken by melancholy!

So now I have a two-kubbo camp, and no migrants this season. And it's quite likely that we'll have another tantrum/insanity soon, too. Not going to abandon unless all kubbos die, so yeah. All hail our solitary moeblob overlord.
Hating you unappreciative maggots even more with every new degrading post, Your Magnificent Ruler,

Dee Ess II, Troll-Emperor of Dynami. XOXO

Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member
Liveman Ieb
Advanced Member

February 12th, 2009, 7:33 am #19

Meanwhile, my kubbos finished building their fortress of stone, it's tall walls, and soon the project to build sniper towers will commence, when the miner finally hits some more alunite.

All seven are alive as well.

Tuss
Advanced Member
Tuss
Advanced Member

February 17th, 2009, 9:56 pm #20

I tried this game. It didn't make much sense to me.

Confirmation of reply: