-CANCELLED- 2017 Thanksgiving Dual Sport Ride at Deer Valley/Upper Lake CA

November 4th, 2017, 9:34 pm #1

I discussed this ride at the November 1st meeting a got some interest.  The Upper Lake CA OHV area has some of the best trails you will find.  The attached Goggle Album has pics and vids from previous rides and maps on how to get there.  Be sure and click on the "circled i" in the top right hand of the frame for my comments and instructions.  I believe Middle Creek Campground just North of Upper Lake is officially closed in October.

I plan on heading out to Upper Lake and Deer Valley on the 20th or 21st to ensure of getting a good trailer spot at Deer Valley.  This is a pristine in the woods camping area (toilets and picnic tables and fire pits) and close to all the trails, and an easy route over to Fouts Springs riding area (plated bikes) and the trails in that area.  I will be staying through November 26th and departing Deer Valley for home on the 27th.  There is plenty of free fire wood in the camp, but need chain saw and axe to cut it up.

Upper Lake riding Album:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/7hlZ0RiySI1xiTiv1

I thought about Fouts Springs (Stonyford), but it is really packed with riders and campers during the Thanksgiving weekend. The camping is out in the open also.   Due to fire recovery of the area, the trails have not be maintained and in 2015 some were pretty whooped out.

I have at least two or more maps of the riding areas (Upper Lake and Stonyford) we can use for planning rides.

I will be watching for weather changes and alerts on the Mendocino NF web site.  FS shuts down OHV riding in "exceedingly" wet conditions.

I will be taking two bikes with me (Kim may come up) and can accommodate at least one more person in the trailer.  Will be bringing two small
propane BBQs and a large camp-Chef two burner stove for cooking steaks and breakfasts.  Will also have a large Pop-up and additional tables.

The trails are primarily for dirt bikes, many Forest roads are a hoot to ride, especially over to Stonyford and some of the less demanding ridge trails.

I can take some camping gear for those that will be considering riding their Adventure bikes over to Deer Valley.

You can go onto the Mendocino NF web site (https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/mendoc ... eation/ohv) for information and riding area maps (poor quality).

Leaving questions and whether you will be attending the ride, here on this Topic or send private message via Forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions:  Reno to Upper Lake (~216 scenic miles)

Hwy 80 West to CA Exit 161 (Hwy 20 and Nevada City) then all the way on Hwy 20 to Upper Lake.  Watch out for a change in Hwy 20 direction at the outskirts of Grass Valley.  Hwy 49 takes you to Auburn.

Upper Lake to Deer Valley (~18 miles of mostly pavement):

To get to Deer Valley Campground (CG) out of Upper Lake, take Elk Mtn Road (Rte 301) past Middle Creek CG (Officially closed in October) to FS 16N01 RD (14.8 miles-pavement).  Turn right on FS 16N01 (Upper Deer Valley Rd-good dirt) and travel Easterly to the Campground (~3.5 miles).  There is a lower road (16N20), but may not be suitable for RV's or pulling travel trailers.

Reno Deano
Last edited by RenoDeano on November 19th, 2017, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 6th, 2017, 2:33 am #2

I'm in for at least Friday to Sunday.

November 7th, 2017, 1:47 am #3

Is they Deer Valley, CA ride site to far for some of you to participate?  How about a site closer (110 miles) and in Nevada, with a restaurant, gas and tent area ?

November 7th, 2017, 4:45 am #4

what did you have in mind? Still not sure if I can make it but will if I can.
Wayne
DR350 450exc f700gs

November 7th, 2017, 5:53 am #5

Middle Gate!

November 7th, 2017, 6:23 pm #6

After waking up to a 20 degree morning and noting that the forecast for Middlegate would be the same, over Thanksgiving weekend.........Middlegate is out of the picture for camping and riding this Thanksgiving!!

November 8th, 2017, 2:20 am #7

I agree. 

Foresthill would be a closer option, weather permitting. 
Wayne
DR350 450exc f700gs

November 9th, 2017, 4:57 pm #8

I'm in. Will be leaving on Friday driving my truck and camper. I can pull my trailer with up to 3 bikes for ride sharing. Where have you decided to go? 
Wayne
DR350 450exc f700gs

November 9th, 2017, 5:43 pm #9

raceu2 wrote: I'm in. Will be leaving on Friday driving my truck and camper. I can pull my trailer with up to 3 bikes for ride sharing. Where have you decided to go? 
Deer valley upper lake ca

November 9th, 2017, 7:17 pm #10

raceu2 wrote: I agree. 

Foresthill would be a closer option, weather permitting. 
Forest hill to crowded and trails at Deer Valley are longer and better.