Settings And Locales

Questions and Answers from one of the show's creators.

Settings And Locales

The Furox
Elite Class Racer
The Furox
Elite Class Racer

Apr 13 2007, 04:17 AM #1

Settings and Locales

Information from The Magna Draconis

This thread contains the responses from the creators of the show to our questions pertaining to the general category of Setting and Locales in the Dragon Booster world. It is also for follow-up discussion of those responses. Please keep follow-up discussion on-topic relative the original questions and responses (for example, speculating on what the answers mean in broader context is fine). If you wish to have a discussion about settings and locales that are different from the Q&A shown here, then please start a new topic.

Click here for a Master Index of all Q&A from the creators of the show.

=====================================================
From IbanezJFS - upstate New York wrote:Question: Why does Moordryd's compound look like a concert venue?
Fun question IbanezJFS! Well, it has two answers actually. Moordryd moved the Dragon Eye compound there when he took over the crew. First off, because the old concert hall was abandoned (read: available) and second, because it was cool to the Dragon Eyes who consider themselves the "rock stars" of the Street Crews and especially cool to Moordryd who covets the spotlight in the figurative, metaphoric and literal sense. One of the little insights into how we create characters and stories in "The Story Hat" is to recognize that certain kinds of people, with certain backgrounds, really do gravitate to specific people, places and things in order to reflect who they are, where they came from or what the hope for. In this sense, a son starved for affection, living in the dark shadow of his father, would look to express himself in the most attention getting and flamboyant way!

------------------------------
SilverDragon - Australia wrote:Question: What's outside the boundaries of Dragon City? Is it a wilderness? What does the rest of the planet look like? Are there other cities like Dragon City?
SilverDragon, there are both! There is vast wilderness between cities and yes there are other cities on this planet! They are remnants of the city states that once were the Draconium Empires! One sits near a chain of volcanos (RED), one by a great sea (LIGHT BLUE), one of windswept caverns and cliff sides (WHITE) and so on. These city-states are who compete in the Elite Class Races! It is here in the Elite Class that war takes place on a weekly basis. The Elite Class was designed as a means to control the warring impulse, to prevent future was by allowing a controlled sport version of it. Dragon City is just the oldest and most powerful city and the seat of the vestiges of the ancient gold dragons but for a time, the old city was abadoned to Hydrags and Muhorta as the humans and dragons spread out and became empires.

----------------------------

Click here for more Q&A on this topic

Shearkin
Elite Class Racer
Shearkin
Elite Class Racer

Apr 18 2007, 10:02 PM #2

wow Totaly drack!!! to think Dragon city is very big and to think that theres' aother places like that!!!! with water ^_^ ( we dont' see real wter ) I wonder is they race in the water??or if there's a place called Iconium ( a place I found in my bible!)
~Shearkin
*~MY Deviantart~*

there is no need to fear when times of trouble come when enemies are surrounding me.

arrow
Elite Class Racer
arrow
Elite Class Racer

Apr 20 2007, 09:53 PM #3

those are pretty cool answers
i wonder if we'll see these places

shearkin where in your bible did you find that place (book, chapter, and possibly verse)

---->

thanks desperada! if you're wondering why i named her fruitloop, well, lets just say at the time i liked to name my fish after cereal :)

Sarah Frost
Elite Class Racer
Sarah Frost
Elite Class Racer

Apr 20 2007, 10:30 PM #4

It's in Turkey.

The Hydrag
Elite Class Racer
The Hydrag
Elite Class Racer

Apr 20 2007, 11:49 PM #5

I wonder idf they have any cool and unusuale metals there?hmmm.........*Picks up rock pick and runs out side only to remember that Turkey is a few thousand miles away*Drat!!! >_<

IbanezJFS
Academy Racer
IbanezJFS
Academy Racer

Apr 21 2007, 06:48 PM #6

WOW, im surprised it had that much detail behind it. I figured it was just a coincidence. They might as well through a concert in there.
We Will See What You Dred...When Blood Has Been Shed.

The Furox
Elite Class Racer
The Furox
Elite Class Racer

Apr 25 2007, 05:44 AM #7

Yeah I know, especially with the size of those speakers! :D

But it's cool that there's that much thought put into where Moordryd would set up the crew headquarters. The rock star image certainly fits him! :)

And now we know for sure that there are other cities around. I hope we get to see them at some point and see what might be different about life/culture in those other cities.

The Furox
Elite Class Racer
The Furox
Elite Class Racer

Aug 17 2007, 04:57 AM #8

Answers from The Magna Draconis (Round Two Questions) for Settings and Locales:

From The Hydrag @ Oregon wrote:If you don't mind would you please be willing to tell us about other animals that exist in the Dragon Booster world? Besides Dragons we have seen Drago Slugs, Crow drags, Newts, Hydrags, the Muhortah and the remains of lots of fish. I would appreciate it to learn some more. Thank you very much for doing this Magna Draconis!
Hi Hydrag, awesome question and let me tell ya! Very similar in evolutionary terms as our world only reptillian based, many of the creatures you find here, you'll find there in Dragon City. They serve many of the same purposes, insects to pollinate plants and scavenge waste, domestic pets that seem vaguely canine and feline, Cow drags, certain bird-like species. Basically, the field is wide open for you all in the forums to create some for your stories and art work. Sorry, it's a short answer but as the story editor and primary writer for the show, I sometimes make up some of the animals as needed as we go!

Click here for more Q&A on this topic

The Hydrag
Elite Class Racer
The Hydrag
Elite Class Racer

Aug 17 2007, 05:28 AM #9

BUGGER!!!! I am very excited to get my answer but Ill admit that I was hoping for some possible revelations. I just hope for everyones elses sakes that that he gets more explicit(I belive thats the correct word for the situation) Thanks for posting my answer and I am very excited to learn the rest of the questions soon.

The Furox
Elite Class Racer
The Furox
Elite Class Racer

Aug 17 2007, 06:30 AM #10

Try not to be disappointed. It's like asking those Oracles you see in ancient literature: you don't always get the answer you wanted. :)

He actually said quite a bit: there's a whole ecosystem out there and all the animals except for humans are reptile-based. In fact, I'll bet you that even the fish bones we see in the trash are reptiles on their planet! And I bet they're called drago-fish or some such thing. :) And it's a virtual certainty that they have dragon flies as well. :D

Plus he gave you an honest answer: they make animals up as they go along based upon the needs of the story. This also tells us that there's probably no significant new species to be introduced that will affect the story arc in any way. The story of Dragon Booster is about dragons and humans, and they don't intend to bring anything else into the mix. I think that tells us quite a bit. It's hard to ask for more than that.

Burnout Beau
Elite Class Racer
Burnout Beau
Elite Class Racer

Aug 17 2007, 09:32 AM #11

The Furox @ Aug 17 2007, 04:30 PM wrote: And it's a virtual certainty that they have dragon flies as well.
Yes, Furox! Drago Dragonflies! :D
The story of Dragon Booster is about dragons and humans, and they don't intend to bring anything else into the mix.
Good thing too. I can't imagine an episode in which a Drago-slug saved DB from certain doom... :P

The Hydrag
Elite Class Racer
The Hydrag
Elite Class Racer

Aug 17 2007, 02:01 PM #12

Very true thanks Furox, I was very tired when I posted that reply. I love the fact that all the animals have reptile twists to them.

The Furox
Elite Class Racer
The Furox
Elite Class Racer

Dec 24 2007, 04:35 AM #13

Answers from The Magna Draconis (Round Three Questions) for Settings and Locales:

From Nayade @ Santiago, Chile wrote:I like the ancient story of Dragon Booster, and I'm very interested about the ancient temple under Penn Stables. Can you please tell us more about the ancient temple? Are the giant-dragon statues in the Dragon Temple just decorative or they are also Temples? And if they are also temples, could it be that they were once connected together a long time ago and were a meeting place for the Original Boosters?
Nayade, you are indeed onto something! There were many ancient temple built by the dragon priests and they are in every level of Dragon City and this particular one does hold some very interesting significance in the story of the original boosters. The main temples of course are deep in the old city but as the city grew, changed and the powers shifted, the priesthood had to go into hiding for various reasons, one; becuase they knew too much about hidden secrets such as bone-marks and gear and two: because being the keepers of the old way, at certain times, they were the enemies of the state. Today, they often move from ancient temple to ancient temple, living the life of fugitives and secret advisors (Tannis Blayrr). Awesome question

------------------------------
From Liliwen wrote:Is the atmopshere, gravity, years and other such things on the Dragon Booster planet much the same as ours? What's their planet called? How can Dragon City, being 20 or so miles high, not have the problem of less air, being pretty cold, less gravity etc. the higher you are? Is Sun City right in or above the clouds and thunderstorms then? Do they experience the same seasons as us, like winter and fall?
Fab question Liliwen. For starters, Draconis is the planet's name. Dragon City sits in a massive depression much like the Grand Canyon, meaning in our case, that about two thirds of the way up is at sea level so for now, going down into the Undercity and the Old City are more like going into conventional mines on Earth only deeper...and being in Sun City is more like living in colorado except that Dragon City lies close to the planet equator making it far warmer and much less seasonal than Denver. Now, while the deep parts of the city would figure to be quite cold, remember that much of the ground of Earth has a native temperature of 55 degrees fahrenheit or 13 degrees celsius and Draconis is no different. Also, the Old City is closer to the geothermal and volcanic activity that helped drive the building of the city in the first place after the golden age was over. Hope that helps!

Nayade
Elite Class Racer
Nayade
Elite Class Racer

Dec 24 2007, 06:04 AM #14

This is awesome, I'm very glad with the answers. Thanks Magna Draconis.
And thanks a lot for this Furox^^
at certain times, they were the enemies of the state
Now, that makes more questions^_^. Maybe that was when occur the first D-H war.
For starters, Draconis is the planet's name
That's cool. Now we know the name of the planet and that is not this earth, and many more. Now where humans always in that planet or they colonised it?

arrow
Elite Class Racer
arrow
Elite Class Racer

Dec 25 2007, 07:41 PM #15

Nayade @ Dec 24 2007, 01:04 AM wrote:
For starters, Draconis is the planet's name
That's cool. Now we know the name of the planet and that is not this earth, and many more. Now where humans always in that planet or they colonised it?
you just read my mind

awsome answers!

thanks desperada! if you're wondering why i named her fruitloop, well, lets just say at the time i liked to name my fish after cereal :)

The Furox
Elite Class Racer
The Furox
Elite Class Racer

Dec 25 2007, 10:42 PM #16

Nayade @ Dec 23 2007, 10:04 PM wrote:And thanks a lot for this Furox^^
My pleasure. :)
at certain times, they were the enemies of the state
Now, that makes more questions^_^. Maybe that was when occur the first D-H war.
Looks like it might be a case of the new regime doing a purge of the old or something like that.
Now where humans always in that planet or they colonised it?
The total lack of other mammal species on the planet would seem to point a strong finger at colonization. Good question for the next round though. :)

I think it's pretty cool that the city lies in a depression. So if Sun City is supposed to be at a Denver-like altitude (roughly one mile above sea level), then the city extends about 19 miles below sea level. Now that's deep! A quick google search says the deepest mine in our world is only 3.6 km (about 2.2 miles), so this depression is way deeper than that. At least the geothermal activity keeps it warm. Maybe that's why the city was built in that location since maybe it provides the right temperature range for the dragons regardless of the altitude. Still, I wonder what the air density would be at the base (I don't know the equation for that off hand). Seems like the air should be heavy, especially with warm temperatures.

Still, fun idea to build a vertical city in a deep depression in the surface of the planet. I wonder what the diameter of depression is now. The bottom area where all the ruins are always seems cast in shadows, so maybe that suggests it isn't very wide since the canyon walls would tend to block out light.

I guess we'll just have to visit and find out. :)

arrow
Elite Class Racer
arrow
Elite Class Racer

Dec 26 2007, 01:21 AM #17

Maybe that's why the city was built in that location since maybe it provides the right temperature range for the dragons regardless of the altitude. Still, I wonder what the air density would be at the base (I don't know the equation for that off hand). Seems like the air should be heavy, especially with warm temperatures.
the air would be heavier
my dad said that at the air at the dead sea would definetly be thicker(not because of the salt)
even in that depression if there weren't any thermal energy it would still be quite warm cause of the angle of the sun.

Burnout Beau
Elite Class Racer
Burnout Beau
Elite Class Racer

Dec 27 2007, 09:50 AM #18

Cool answers there! ;)
The main temples of course are deep in the old city but as the city grew, changed and the powers shifted, the priesthood had to go into hiding for various reasons, one; becuase they knew too much about hidden secrets such as bone-marks and gear
That sounds logical...
and two: because being the keepers of the old way, at certain times, they were the enemies of the state.
Wow, never expected that to happen. Reminds me of the Samurais way back in feudal Japan.
Draconis is the planet's name
Ahhh, nice name for a planet. Dedicated to the dragon race there I presume? :)
Dragon City lies close to the planet equator making it far warmer and much less seasonal
So, it's official; no snow/winter in Dragon City. Just like here...but less hot. :plot:

At least the geothermal activity keeps it warm.
Wonder how the situation becomes if there's no geothermal activity. Frozen dragons?.. :P

The Furox
Elite Class Racer
The Furox
Elite Class Racer

Dec 27 2007, 05:38 PM #19

Burnout Beau @ Dec 27 2007, 01:50 AM wrote: Wonder how the situation becomes if there's no geothermal activity. Frozen dragons?.. :P
Probably. :) Dragons are clearly warm blooded, so they should be OK in cooler temperatures for reasonable periods of time (unlike real world reptiles), especially since draconium energy should make for good body heat. And their hides are pretty tough, so they should have some natural insulation against the cold. I'm going to assume they could visit a cold snowy area for a brief time, but would probably have to take shelter at some point just like we do.

I'm also going to assume that if there was no geothermal activity around, then they would have built the city somewhere else where it was consistently warm.

Mari
Elite Class Racer
Mari
Elite Class Racer

Jan 15 2008, 12:05 PM #20

Tannis Blayrr... When I first read that, I thought it was Tony Blair!! Now... is that a hint, or possible endorsement by NerdCorps, or *brick'd to shut up*

Yeah, yeah, I know. It was a joke! I'm being obnoxious!

Fab question Liliwen. For starters, Draconis is the planet's name. Dragon City sits in a massive depression much like the Grand Canyon, meaning in our case, that about two thirds of the way up is at sea level so for now, going down into the Undercity and the Old City are more like going into conventional mines on Earth only deeper...and being in Sun City is more like living in colorado except that Dragon City lies close to the planet equator making it far warmer and much less seasonal than Denver. Now, while the deep parts of the city would figure to be quite cold, remember that much of the ground of Earth has a native temperature of 55 degrees fahrenheit or 13 degrees celsius and Draconis is no different. Also, the Old City is closer to the geothermal and volcanic activity that helped drive the building of the city in the first place after the golden age was over. Hope that helps!
Yaha!! I AM a genius!! I've been calling the planet Draconis for a while! Yeah! I am just so aweso-*brick'd again*

Hmm... so, what we are seeing with the Wastelands of Loanne is NOT the surface of the planet, but the bottom of the depression! So, the rest of the planet is NOT like the Wastelands! Do I see any jungle fanfics coming?...
Currently plotting ways to get more enthusiasm up for DB. HOPE WILL NOT BE LOST!!! D<
Mari's Resources~My Photobucket Self-declared Dork Queen of the board.

You understand that not all in life is black and white; There is MUCH grey!-Rivett

silverfang
All-City Racer
silverfang
All-City Racer

Jan 16 2008, 01:49 AM #21

um...Nayade. not to sound rude or like ababy or anything, buuut...your avatar's kinda greusom. sorry. :plot:

Artha_penn1995
Academy Racer
Artha_penn1995
Academy Racer

Jan 16 2008, 02:00 AM #22

Awesome answers!!! I hope a network agrees to DB soon.

Droconis is the planet's name, cool! And the city is a mystical structure, how do they live there. Being nearly 19 miles below sea level? :eep:

You think only good guys are good?

THINK AGAIN!

"The difference between a brave man and a coward is not how they feel, but what they do despite those feelings"
- James FitzGibbon

'Unleash The Shadow Within Your Heart, You Know You Have It'
~ Little faithful me

dragonraptyr
All-City Racer
dragonraptyr
All-City Racer

May 1 2010, 10:17 PM #23

If Dragon City sits inside of a massive canyon, how long is the canyon? are the walls sheer cliffs, or are they gentle slopes? What kind of ecosystem is right outside of the canyon? For Example: is Dragon City known for being in a dense jungle, a prairie, of a savannah?

Also: what are the names of some of the other cities? or is that currently classified information?

Who needs a thing like sanity?
Thanks to Stormryda for Da'o- both of him.

Cain
Cain

May 1 2010, 11:32 PM #24

Please be patient, dragonraptyr. Your questions have piped my interest.

Renesh
Elite Class Racer
Renesh
Elite Class Racer

May 2 2010, 02:17 AM #25

@dragonraptyr:

I, personally, am under the impression that the walls of the canyon are sheer. Canyons typically are, after all. And, of course, several lines in episode 12, "Misjudged", mentioned supports for the city, which seems to imply that Dragon City is built more-or-less straight up, and there are supports that dig into the canyon walls part way up to help stabilize it. However, looking at this screenshot, the texture of the "sky" seems to imply that they're either on a wide shelf part way up the canyon wall, or that they're in a metal "tube" of sorts. Kinda like a giant missile silo, except that it would be built as shelter and security for the support rather than to house weapons.

Also:
Magna Draconis wrote:...Dragon City lies close to the planet equator making it far warmer and much less seasonal....
Seems to me that it would be surrounded by either desert or rainforest/jungle, or in the mountains, as that's what covers much of the equatorial land on earth. Personally, I'm voting for the mountains. I can't really picture Dragon City being in the middle of the jungle, though that would make for some interesting excursions outside the city limits....

A Dragon Booster Screenshot Library

dragonraptyr
All-City Racer
dragonraptyr
All-City Racer

May 3 2010, 12:44 AM #26

@Cain: Thank you. I try to come up with detailed questions that make one think, or at the very least, questions that haven't been asked before. The site is very slow in terms of traffic, and I find that stimulating questions lead to stimulating responses.

@Renesh: Quite Correct, however, even among desert and rain forest, there are differences depending on what part of the world you're in. After all, if we look at the Nile as an example, we would expect the Wastelands of Loanne to be filled with the remnants of trees, or at least wooden structures. Of course, after 5000 years of civilization, very few trees would be left. Still, we see very little plantlife, even around the rivers in Old City. And we can tell that there is enough light to see by, and thus, enough light for plantlife. This must mean that for some reason, despite environment, Old City must be partially toxic.

Now this makes me want to know what kind of plants are common in equatorial areas in general for Draconis.

Renesh
Elite Class Racer
Renesh
Elite Class Racer

May 3 2010, 02:48 AM #27

Ah-hah, but the Wastelands of Loanne is not the planet's surface! Or rather, not typical for the planet's surface. It's underneath 20 miles of city, and judging from the way Artha was acting in "All is Not Lost" I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be rather dimly lit down there. But ever notice that in movies/TV shows/cartoons, any time it's supposed to be pretty much "too dark to see" the viewer can always see just fine? I'm pretty sure that's more-or-less what's going on any time we're down there. Also, their helmets most likely have some sort of light-enhancing feature in them. They had a night-vision feature in "Fanning the Flames", though this disappeared later in the series.

As for the remains of trees or wooden structures:
Magna Draconis wrote:Anyway, at first the humans and dragons formed Dragon City with all of it's magical golden technology.
Magna Draconis wrote:Dragon City is just the oldest and most powerful city and the seat of the vestiges of the ancient gold dragons but for a time, the old city was abadoned to Hydrags and Muhorta as the humans and dragons spread out and became empires.
Seems to me that at the time Dragon City was first built, civilization was already quite advanced, and looking at the backgrounds in the episodes where they're down in Old City, all the rubble seems to be either stone or metal. And of course, it was built around 5,000 years ago. Anything made of wood would be rotted away by now.

Also, "enough light to see by" is not always "enough light for plants to grow by". For example, not much can grow by a candle's light, even if you keep a candle lit next to the plant 24/7.

dragonraptyr
All-City Racer
dragonraptyr
All-City Racer

May 3 2010, 07:15 AM #28

Indeed, Pardon the confusion. I was musing, and my musing got out of hand. I was drawing my conclusion of enough light to see by from the fact that the dragons can see just fine, and the distance between levels. Good points, however.

Renesh
Elite Class Racer
Renesh
Elite Class Racer

May 3 2010, 11:02 AM #29

Ah, the dragons being able to see is a good point. That didn't occur to me. Don't worry about your musings getting "out of hand", it's nice to talk to someone else who thinks about the little details like this. ^_^ It's quite fun debating things that probably were never under consideration for the development of the show, but still matter to people who like to pretend it's all completely real. Logic is fu~n! ;P

Arthapenn
Elite Class Racer
Arthapenn
Elite Class Racer

May 4 2010, 03:06 PM #30

It sure is fun to debate about details like this. :)
This account is permanently suspended.

http://dragonnobility.proboards.com/index.cgi

Confirmation of reply: